Clubplanet Nightlife Community

South and Central America Scene

livin42nite

Well I was checking out the thread on the sad day for house and stuff and got interested in another topic in there, and I ain't gonna threadjack over there since this should get its own thread.

I've seen over the past couple of years that more and more top dj acts are getting booked and packing in clubs all over south and central america. Even in my neighbor country, Dominican Republic, noticed they have had saeed and palash play down there and in december deep dish played at the cave.

Unforunately not everywhere is like this in that region. Haiti is one of those places. Now I know most reading this, probably already thinking well of course very poor country and no way in hell would they know about any kind of music outside of what is played over there. That's not the case though, there is enough people with money that enjoy clubbing and do club often down there, but the music is crap (mostly hip hop like most hip hop clubs here, some house music though dated, and some local music) . There are decent djs down there in terms of mixing ability though the tunes they got suck and they end up sounding like bad party djs you get over here. Now I go back there many times a year and to enjoy goin out there and to give the people a good time and some decent music to hear I'd like to book a couple of djs there for christmas season since thats when clubs over there ever really make any money. I've looked into it and may do it this year, but I know its quite a big risk as I'd have to do one hell of a job promoting it to get around 450 people to go in there who would pay like $10 max since when they over there they never dish out cash to party at one place like that, but over here when they in miami they got no prob.

Reason why I write this is cause I'd like to get a couple of opinions on how to get this started really from a few of you on here, and also get your opinions on the scene in south america also. Oscar I know you've played there would love to get some feedback on how it's been for you playin there and if turnout is usually good, I know vip knows a little about the scene in lima. So hook me back up with some info if u can.

Well, Brazil, Uruguay, Peru, Argentina, and as far as I know Panama< and Chile have a big scene or are starting one. Theres many places with potential in South America, thing is.. Economy blurs everything.. although last thing I know, places like Chile, Argentina, Brazil, and Peru are getting big name ( progressive house DJ's mostly ) constantly. Dont forget that Hernan Cattaneo is one of the biggies from South America, and more people are demanding more and more DJ's.

For the past two years I've played more down there, than HERE :rolleyes:

4 Several reasons I won't vent about it here & now (that's another thread)...

But I have had more fun in South & Central America than anywhere else in the world.. (And I've played everywhere but Africa & Russia)...

I feel the scene down there is still growing with STRONG roots to the underground... (unlike Europe & US, where shit has been flooded so bad there is little to no underground scene.. it got pushed above ground when Trance became mainstream)...

In Mexico for example there are some really cool clubs like Rioma & Colmillio (one private the other public) both really underground scenes...

Peru surprised the hell out of me... I played for 4 hours and the entire room of 1,300 people could not stand still (the WHOLE DAMN NIGHT)... Brasil, Columbia, etc.. and the list goes on...

How I got booked.... Networking!!! I was able to make a few freinds in each country that either promote / DJ / or work somehow with the club scene.. I also have spent many hours on messageboards (like this one) for other regions (OZ & Europe has the best on-line scene)...

Honestly, I think I was able to acomplish this because I don't charge OUTRAGEOUS booking fees, and I have little to no EGO that gets in the way... (but that same lack of EGO has kept me completely underground in my own state)....... and last but not least... the biggest reason I was able to play there is the good old "IMPORT THEORY" ..... NO ONE WANTS A LOCAL DJ... YOU HAVE TO BE FROM SOMEWHERE ELSE TO BE GOOD :rolleyes:

Colombias scene is very strong at the moment.

Some big names that have played there are Carl Cox, Saeed & Palash, Sasha, Oakenfold, Antione Clamaran which loved it so much he came out with an EP named "Colombia". Oscar played as well, just to name a few. One thing about South American countries is that many people might not have alot of money, but when it comes to partying they find it somehow.

Since we've had so many international Dj's coming to play in Lima, local dj's have had the opportunity to develop and come into their own. If you want to get a taste of the two best peruvian dj's, you'll get the chance next week.

Israel Vich (who was Featured Guest Dj, on Proton Radio today) and Christian Berger (who will be as well, Featured Guest Dj, on Proton Radio on 1st Oct), will be playing at 3 different venues in Miami the weekend of the 12th till the 14th.

If you want to know more about them you can go to:

www.orbitperu.com and look under Residents.

Iv'e also had some of my most memorable moments at gigs in Mexico City, Aruba, & Venezuela. Really looking forward to play Colombia in the near future. Venezuela's scene is very particular... people are mostly into beats...by that I mean only house, tech house,techno, breaks, & drum & base. I can relate it more with Brazil's scene instead of Argentina's, Uruguay's, or Colombia's where trance and progressive did hit big. People like their beats hard and raw, underground sounding stuff. No girly vocals or coldplay typa' stuff. Love playing there. Whenever the unfortunate political situaltion is over in Venezuela, and foreign investment returns, you will see how it will become a major player in South America's scene in the future years. Colombia's scene is very extense and has a longer history than Venezuela's. Mexicos scene also dates back more than 10 years with large festivals like Acafest hosting the best dj.s the planet. And that's the story in most countries already in Central and South America. The biggest Dj's all travel down there to play. Its fresh, new, not as commercialized, and people are not complaining about stupid sh#t.....they just want good music. Its heaven!!

• 2 months later...

Woke this thread up from the dead, as it seems like lots going on as usual over there this month.

Dominican Republic

Tom Stephan 11/21

Danny Howells 11/28

Had john digweed, jimmy van m, carl cox, and trendroid over the last month

Peru

Sander k 11/15

Junkiexl, Sandra Collins, H.Cattaneo, Danny Howells,Three 11/22

Carl Cox diary while playing south america pt.2 Part 1

I'm sure there is gonna be tons more going on in december though with those lineups kinda hard to believe that. And as for me and the december plans I had, maybe.

Originally posted by livin42nite

Well I was checking out the thread on the sad day for house and stuff and got interested in another topic in there, and I ain't gonna threadjack over there since this should get its own thread.

I've seen over the past couple of years that more and more top dj acts are getting booked and packing in clubs all over south and central america. Even in my neighbor country, Dominican Republic, noticed they have had saeed and palash play down there and in december deep dish played at the cave.

Unforunately not everywhere is like this in that region. Haiti is one of those places. Now I know most reading this, probably already thinking well of course very poor country and no way in hell would they know about any kind of music outside of what is played over there. That's not the case though, there is enough people with money that enjoy clubbing and do club often down there, but the music is crap (mostly hip hop like most hip hop clubs here, some house music though dated, and some local music) . There are decent djs down there in terms of mixing ability though the tunes they got suck and they end up sounding like bad party djs you get over here. Now I go back there many times a year and to enjoy goin out there and to give the people a good time and some decent music to hear I'd like to book a couple of djs there for christmas season since thats when clubs over there ever really make any money. I've looked into it and may do it this year, but I know its quite a big risk as I'd have to do one hell of a job promoting it to get around 450 people to go in there who would pay like $10 max since when they over there they never dish out cash to party at one place like that, but over here when they in miami they got no prob.

Reason why I write this is cause I'd like to get a couple of opinions on how to get this started really from a few of you on here, and also get your opinions on the scene in south america also. Oscar I know you've played there would love to get some feedback on how it's been for you playin there and if turnout is usually good, I know vip knows a little about the scene in lima. So hook me back up with some info if u can.

I just finished a weekend tour in the Dominica Republic last week. Playing at a few places like Nowhere and Praia......The scene in Santo Domingo is great....pleople are very receptive to the music and are into the dj.....watching him spin and just taking an intrest in general about whats going on. The scene is just starting to evolve down there and i think thats what makes it so fun for me when I'm in the D.R. or any other South american country......The people are just so wrapped up in the muisc and the DJ (much like it was in the states five to ten years ago when clubbing first started to become more popular).....it's such a rush for me each time I travel down South.

I'll be in the D.R. for most of December. Playing at the Cave with Saeed, on the river with parks & wilson and back at Nowhere, Priaia, taboo bamboo and a few other places.

Everytime I have the opportunity to travel to latin, central or south america and the islands I always jump on it. :D

the house-scene in colombia is growing very fast.....but techno has been there for a long time...they love techno...all the big techno djs have been down there.....on halloween they had carl cox playing to 6.000 people....

btw im very exited cuz i will be playing in my hometown for the first time,i have two gigs,dec 6 and dec 7.......:D

i've been playing south/central america and the latin carribean since about 1996. always a great time. domincan republic and colombia are two of my favourite places to play. i'm very grateful for my audience there and can't wait to get back to the dominican republic next month.

http://www.signalcommunications.net/tourdiary2.htm

http://www.signalcommunications.net/schedule.htm

Originally posted by stryke303

i've been playing south/central america and the latin carribean since about 1996. always a great time. domincan republic and colombia are two of my favourite places to play. i'm very grateful for my audience there and can't wait to get back to the dominican republic next month.

http://www.signalcommunications.net/tourdiary2.htm

http://www.signalcommunications.net/schedule.htm

Greg where you playing at in the D.R.? I'll be down there all next month......we should get together