Clubplanet Nightlife Community

I want for Christmas!!!!!!!!

markusschulz

The UREI-1620 rotary DJ mixer was prized not really for it's clean signal...as a matter of fact, the UREI in it's original form isn't 100% accurate. It was prized for giving the low end an extra push, as well as warming up harsh mids and hights.

What you see in a club today is not a UREI-1620, it is a Phazon rework using a UREI chassis, which among other things includes a new set of potentiometers, IC boards, and so forth to give a more accurate signal, while retain some of the "warmth" that the original UREI provided. The main thing of the UREI was the feel of the mixer, the control was preferred amongst early house DJs apparently.

crobar, arc, and Nerve do not have the 1620 derived Phazon mixer anymore. The mixer is a Phazon SDX 3700 unit, the design derived in a way from the original UREI 1620. The differences are obvious from the get-go, bass and treble pots for each channel, external PSU, and a soon-to-be released VCA cross-fader (eek..the purists are gonna shit...) and aux EQ.

SDX%203700%20front.jpg

SDX-3700

image002.jpg

SDX-3700 serial number #006 at Nerve...that's right, one of seven in the world right now. #005 is at crobar, #001 is at Arc.

113-1336_IMG.JPG

UREI 1620. crobar had a reworked 1620 in the booth. Salvation, Warsaw, The Mix (for a bit), and other clubs of the past had them too. 1620s are available for rent from TM Sound in Fort Lauderdale...have your platinum Visa handy, they want almost 3 grand in a deposit, and threaten bodily harm if you return it in less than pristine condition. :laugh: I rented a UREI-1620 during WMC 2001 for a gig myself and a friend provided sound reinforcment for, and the mixer was a wonderful thing...I like the 3700s better, more accurate sound reproduction, and retains most of that charachter that veteran DJs prize.

BTW, JBL owns rights to the UREI nameplate now, not cackie err mackie.

props to pod...

i thought my post was long enough to say anything bout the re-issue...definitely some wishlist material for myself and most any dj's.

But as you posted:The UREI-1620 rotary DJ mixer was prized not really for it's clean signal...as a matter of fact, the UREI in it's original form isn't 100% accurate. It was prized for giving the low end an extra push, as well as warming up harsh mids and hights.

This is due to the circuitry which gave it a slight compression characteristic, which i had mentioned.

Also at its time of introduction and life of sale, you have to admit it definitely had the best s/n ratio available...very low noise for the technology at the time and at the time extremely high output signal.

I love this tech talk...especially about dj gear

:D great conversation!

SS

Word on the industry tip is that they're prob. gonna MAP !$1,200.oo (each)....

:blown:

I still have troble using CDJ-1000's but things are definately changing.... Hell I never thought I'd ever go Digital... and here I am working on FinalScratch.. :rolleyes:

Oh the UREI is definitely still a quality mixer. I'd take a 1620 over 90 percent of what is out there today, even the Pioneer DJM-xxxx series mixers. Steve Dash and co. merely updated the design.

I'm a big fan of the Xone V6 mixer by Allen and Heath, as seen in Maze...i'd say it's the basis for the next generation of high-end DJ mixers.

Interesting fact though, the UREI was based on an even older design, the Bozak CMA-10-2DL.

bozak_silver1.jpg

Bozak_prototype_1983_right.jpg

Bozak HB-1-8A (prototype only...response to 1620 but never released...)

The bozak supposedly edged out the UREI if you wanted a gigantic low-end, due to the Bozak's discrete inputs, whereas the UREI used ICs and chips, like modern mixers.

The Xone is an attempt to get that sound back, with the tube pre-amps and so forth. I doubt any mixer will be built in a mass-produced version using discrete inputs again...

Warmth and charachter are all subjective in my opinion...what I strive for really is a clean signal all the way to the mixer, and coming out of it too, I leave the charachter to the DJ, in his needle selection, use of outboard processors, and so forth...if he or she wants a clean signal all the way through, go for it...if he or she wants to really mess with the signal, go for it, if that's your style :)