Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Need Help Cpers: Whats The cheapest high speed connect

djdekan

My primary connection is Charter, as well. I have the full digital cable/cable internet service for around 100 a month. Thoroughput is decent, there's not too many educated people in the neighborhood so I'm not burdened by sharing the line too much...

I would go Winstar fixed-wireless, but I no longer have line of sight to the Nationsbank building.

What South Beach could really use is more network access co-ops like other cities have...a neighborhood or group of residents teams up to pay for a T1/frac T3/optical line, and the resulting bandwidth is distributed by wireless, or LAN if it's one building...I'm considering implementing it here in my new residence...

Holy shit, i almost fell out of my seat when I saw those Covad prices!!

Dekan, where do you live and who is your cable provider? If it's charter, you get 1.5Mbps for $55, but as part of a cable package it becomes less. Pod's right, it comes out to about $100 for the top of the line "high speed plus every freakin' channel" package. That's a pretty good deal.

Otherwise, Bell South has 1.5Mbps service for $50, but it's $45 if you have their Digital Choice plan.

If you need to spend less, you can get slower speeds on either service, but the max speed is your best bang for the buck.

Mac, those are T1 prices. I quoted them to Dekan to show he's getting a decent price now :)

A T1, or any T-class connection for that matter is provisioned differently than a cable or DSL circuit. The signaling is different for one, an xDSL line uses CAP or DMT modulation, and a T1 uses 2B1Q signaling...2B1Q is far more reliable. That's what the pricing is for on a T1, reliability, the telco will guarantee in writing 99.9% uptime, not just to the switch, but to the next hop up, usually the internet at large. With a T1 you also pay for a guaranteed bandwidth, which is a max of 1.544 Mbps, including TCP/IP overhead. Again, that's what the pricing gets you, is reliability. On the rare event of downtime, service can often be restored in minutes, not hours on a T1...with Charter, BS, or any other consumer-level ISP, it can be hours or days...and a refund is not guaranteed...a T1 goes down, and you're most certainly eligible for a refund based on the time...

Originally posted by pod

What South Beach could really use is more network access co-ops like other cities have...a neighborhood or group of residents teams up to pay for a T1/frac T3/optical line, and the resulting bandwidth is distributed by wireless, or LAN if it's one building...I'm considering implementing it here in my new residence...

POD, I think all of south Florida seems to be one of the last big cities in the country with wireless access point and co-ops. We should be able to go the beach with our laptops or go to clubbin with it.

Originally posted by sobeton

works well for me.;) Charter $100 wtf..:eek:

100 bucks for full digital cable, and internet service...it works out, believe me...I get 3 HBOs, 3 Showtimes, 3 Skinemaxes, 3 TMCs, like 100 other channels, plus decent broadband.

Well, we could go clubbing and check our palmpilots wirelessly (a few places have wireless networks implemented) in a club, but it'd be a bit of hacking :)

Originally posted by pod

100 bucks for full digital cable, and internet service...it works out, believe me...I get 3 HBOs, 3 Showtimes, 3 Skinemaxes, 3 TMCs, like 100 other channels, plus decent broadband.

Dan when the hell do you have time to watch TV ? .:laugh: IMO the only thing worth it on TV is CNN and ESPN.:D