Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What do u think? Article on music digital rights..

Guest saleen351

In my opinion, when you DL a song. You have bought the license for it. When a record label licenses a song from an artist, they can not just sell the license to a 3rd party without compensating the artists. The same should apply here. The artist needs to be compensated PERIOD. The usual is a 50/50 split on 3rd party licensing between artist and label. Yes there will be a new law soon, and hopefully it will help keep some of the talented artists from giving up on music. Alot of talented artists are having to support their family with alternate jobs, while people rape their gifts.

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by markusschulz

In my opinion, when you DL a song. You have bought the license for it. When a record label licenses a song from an artist, they can not just sell the license to a 3rd party without compensating the artists. The same should apply here. The artist needs to be compensated PERIOD. The usual is a 50/50 split on 3rd party licensing between artist and label. Yes there will be a new law soon, and hopefully it will help keep some of the talented artists from giving up on music. Alot of talented artists are having to support their family with alternate jobs, while people rape their gifts.

tracks are products, they are tangible products, if i buy muisc by downloading it, I should be able to sell that muisc, as long as i don't retain any copies....

For example what is the different if i sell a Bee Gees Vinyl on ebay

or sell a legal download of the track????

nothing...

what is the new law....?

We are living in a limbo right now...new technology that has yet to be regulated...tons and tons of intelectual are being distributed free of charge...not right, an irreversible dammage has already been generated...sad...it should have never happened...truth is, file sharing killed the music industry dead!

Boom-ka-shee-ka-boom...dead! :hung:

Guest saleen351
Originally posted by markusschulz

If there was a foolproof way to make sure that you didnt retain any copies I suppose it would be ok, but since there is no way of monitoring that, we cannot continue with the current law, and need to redefine to protect the artists and labels.

so lets take away my property rights? nope, not gonna happen, i'm sure the ACLU will be all over it if the goverment tries to dictate what I do with the music i purchased... same reason copy protected cds were targeted.

btw, the same argument was made in the early 80's with vcr's.. They lost, and now you can't imagine life without one. And the same war is being fought with tivo, but now every cable company is gonna offer a digital set top recorder and you can even use your computer to do it, and trade shows all over the internet.

then there is this case:

http://archive.salon.com/tech/feature/1999/07/29/wild_feeds/index1.html

did you guys watch 60 minutes last night? if you did, you can see how the goverment is clueless on the internet...

Originally posted by saleen351

so lets take away my property rights? nope, not gonna happen, i'm sure the ACLU will be all over it if the goverment tries to dictate what I do with the music i purchased... same reason copy protected cds were targeted.

btw, the same argument was made in the early 80's with vcr's.. They lost, and now you can't imagine life without one. And the same war is being fought with tivo, but now every cable company is gonna offer a digital set top recorder and you can even use your computer to do it, and trade shows all over the internet.

then there is this case:

http://archive.salon.com/tech/feature/1999/07/29/wild_feeds/index1.html

did you guys watch 60 minutes last night? if you did, you can see how the goverment is clueless on the internet...

Correction, you do not purchase the "music itself"...you purchase a vehicle of reproduction for the music...read the FBI restrictions on copyright infringemente and public reproduction, technicly, you can't even play that music on a public venue (restaurant, club, movie theater...) without paying the proper royalties to the intellectual owner of the work...is this news to anyone?

:confused:

Saleen,

i do see a diff if you sell a Bee Gee's album on vinyl if you sell it once and you are not contiously making a profit on it like if you were to sell music you downloaded for free

and you are not making more or "REPRODUCING IT"

hence the term copyright law

c'mon dude i think i got ya on a technacalitity on this one

Slim007