Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Tiësto In Concert DVD

Candy

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by pod

Actually you can check my PC, I have no copyrighted audio or video that I didn't pay for or produce myself on there :)...I did at one point, but last time I formatted my drive, I just didn't bother backing up my MP3 collection, which was mostly white-labels anyway.

You'll download it for free, but you'll undermine an industry that you seem to want to be a part of (unless the DJ in your name is just bullshit...) really badly.

LOL..

DJM = Daniel Jason Mendez.. That's my name.

Well, by your sig, you seem to be a DJ of sorts, unless i'm misunderstanding it and that's just what you have on your CD player now or something.

However, by downloading the videos, you're undermining the industry which provides you with hours and days of entertainment.

The free excuse only works to a point though...it's like back in college when I would pay to see a movie, but my roommate would be like "well, i got it for free here, so why bother?"

I bothered because a shitty AVI can't compete with 7.1 Dolby Digital EX sound, a Barco Digital Cinema projector, and much more available at the campus theatre, or down the street at Sunset Place, for a mere $7.00...well, $9.00 now...while I agree that's a fair bit of gouging, stealing the media isn't going to force them to lower prices, it has the opposite effect as they up it to cover their losses.

I know that your DVD-R rip probably looks quite good, you can go online and get the requisite VOB and VTS files as a matter of fact...but at the same time, you're almost certainly sacrificing quality...your average DVD movie is a dual-layer DVD-9, i.e. it holds around 9 gigs of data. I just got a DVD±RW drive, and last time I checked, all my blanks are 4.7 gigs, there's 9 gig blanks out there, but they're hard to get...so in other words, you're losing out on something...the recompressed video certainly has some artifacting in it, and if it's a straight rip, i'm sure you've lost supplementary material, probably the surround channels, and all the stuff that actually makes a DVD worth picking up...I pick up originals for the quality...but I'm a technical sort of guy...I'm the one who demands money back if the audio in a movie theatre fucks up for more than 30 seconds...

But what it really comes down to, you're not really realizing what it takes to make a piece of music or a movie. It might seem nice that by downloading a Jessica Simpson MP3, you're defrauding that brain-dead whore of some undeserved income...yeah, like a few pennies...and yeah, you're sticking it to the Man at the record labels too...go you...but you're also sticking it to the recording engineer, the session musicians, the guy who fetched donuts and coffee during the recording session, all of those whom work for about the same wages that you and I earn...well, the recording engineer pulls six figures if he's good...but that's not the point...it's even more harmful when you download a track by a smaller artist, say local legend Oscar G...I kinda know how Oscar makes a track, and it's usually teamed up with Ralph and one or two other people...in other words, it's hurting the little guy a lot more...

As for movies, same model applies, you're not really sticking it to Seth Green by downloading Party Monster, he's getting his fee no matter what...well, you hit him since he probably gets a point or two of the gross, but still it's chicken feed...you're really hurting the DP, the set designers, the grips, the construction crews, etc...they're not gonna get hired back next time, since the studios are taking a hit, and will probably move their productions to Mexico, where Sweaty Juan will work for 10 pesos a day, and give you his sister too. Again, it's worse on smaller productions too...you download my film somehow, it hurts me because no one's gonna go see it at the South Beach Cinematheque, since there's gonna be a thread on here that says "Pod's movie on DJM's PC", and people will invariably download it...zero profits for me, I get killed by the Mafia for not paying off the Teamsters in time...even if you just rip my DVD, it's still harmful...I can't pay my graphic artist who designed the packaging after awhile, I can't get a line of credit at the DVD pressing plant since my last DVD sold for shit and I couldn't pay them...etc...

What I'm getting at basically is that it hurts a lot more than the man on the cover of the DVD when you download the rip...

I'm not defending the industry's responses though...what they are doing is wrong, assuming powers ordinarily left to the government...and downloading more isn't gonna hurt them it's just gonna piss them off more...before long it'll be legal for an RI/MPAA hacker to get past my firewalls just to check if I have legal content...and destroy my PC if he finds anything questionable.

If anything I've stopped downloading illegal MP3s and movies because I don't want to live in a world where the government watches my every move...we're too far in already...I don't want to have to declare my apartment building an independent republic just yet.

Originally posted by pod

Well, by your sig, you seem to be a DJ of sorts, unless i'm misunderstanding it and that's just what you have on your CD player now or something.

However, by downloading the videos, you're undermining the industry which provides you with hours and days of entertainment.

The free excuse only works to a point though...it's like back in college when I would pay to see a movie, but my roommate would be like "well, i got it for free here, so why bother?"

I bothered because a shitty AVI can't compete with 7.1 Dolby Digital EX sound, a Barco Digital Cinema projector, and much more available at the campus theatre, or down the street at Sunset Place, for a mere $7.00...well, $9.00 now...while I agree that's a fair bit of gouging, stealing the media isn't going to force them to lower prices, it has the opposite effect as they up it to cover their losses.

I know that your DVD-R rip probably looks quite good, you can go online and get the requisite VOB and VTS files as a matter of fact...but at the same time, you're almost certainly sacrificing quality...your average DVD movie is a dual-layer DVD-9, i.e. it holds around 9 gigs of data. I just got a DVD±RW drive, and last time I checked, all my blanks are 4.7 gigs, there's 9 gig blanks out there, but they're hard to get...so in other words, you're losing out on something...the recompressed video certainly has some artifacting in it, and if it's a straight rip, i'm sure you've lost supplementary material, probably the surround channels, and all the stuff that actually makes a DVD worth picking up...I pick up originals for the quality...but I'm a technical sort of guy...I'm the one who demands money back if the audio in a movie theatre fucks up for more than 30 seconds...

But what it really comes down to, you're not really realizing what it takes to make a piece of music or a movie. It might seem nice that by downloading a Jessica Simpson MP3, you're defrauding that brain-dead whore of some undeserved income...yeah, like a few pennies...and yeah, you're sticking it to the Man at the record labels too...go you...but you're also sticking it to the recording engineer, the session musicians, the guy who fetched donuts and coffee during the recording session, all of those whom work for about the same wages that you and I earn...well, the recording engineer pulls six figures if he's good...but that's not the point...it's even more harmful when you download a track by a smaller artist, say local legend Oscar G...I kinda know how Oscar makes a track, and it's usually teamed up with Ralph and one or two other people...in other words, it's hurting the little guy a lot more...

As for movies, same model applies, you're not really sticking it to Seth Green by downloading Party Monster, he's getting his fee no matter what...well, you hit him since he probably gets a point or two of the gross, but still it's chicken feed...you're really hurting the DP, the set designers, the grips, the construction crews, etc...they're not gonna get hired back next time, since the studios are taking a hit, and will probably move their productions to Mexico, where Sweaty Juan will work for 10 pesos a day, and give you his sister too. Again, it's worse on smaller productions too...you download my film somehow, it hurts me because no one's gonna go see it at the South Beach Cinematheque, since there's gonna be a thread on here that says "Pod's movie on DJM's PC", and people will invariably download it...zero profits for me, I get killed by the Mafia for not paying off the Teamsters in time...even if you just rip my DVD, it's still harmful...I can't pay my graphic artist who designed the packaging after awhile, I can't get a line of credit at the DVD pressing plant since my last DVD sold for shit and I couldn't pay them...etc...

What I'm getting at basically is that it hurts a lot more than the man on the cover of the DVD when you download the rip...

I'm not defending the industry's responses though...what they are doing is wrong, assuming powers ordinarily left to the government...and downloading more isn't gonna hurt them it's just gonna piss them off more...before long it'll be legal for an RI/MPAA hacker to get past my firewalls just to check if I have legal content...and destroy my PC if he finds anything questionable.

If anything I've stopped downloading illegal MP3s and movies because I don't want to live in a world where the government watches my every move...we're too far in already...I don't want to have to declare my apartment building an independent republic just yet.

I didn't bother to read your long post.. But you obviouisly feel strongly about all this. I try to support the industry as much as possible. I have a very nice Home Theater also and I have a DVD collection of about 90 DVD's at the moment. So it's not like I don;t buy movies. But I also have about 100 Downloaded Divx/Xvid movies with full Dolby Digital Sound tracks...some because they aren;t released yet and other because IW ill never buy them cause they are not that good and others just because you can;t buy them on DVD anymore. Anyhow, I was just saying that I would noy buy those "Music Video Like" DVD's cause I will just watch it once and it's not worht paying $$$. IMO.

As for me being a DJ.. I make mixed cd's with music for me and my frineds to enjoy. I do not make money off of it and I just don't see myself spending that much money buying music each week. Ther eis no way I could do what I do if I had to buy the music. Also, I can get music before it ever hits the USA so it's just easier for me.

Ok, I dunno why I felt the need to explain myself there. But I did...

Laterz.

Originally posted by proudof3Ys

HI CANDY

I LOVE TIESTO TOO

WANTED TO KNOW DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN HES COMING DOWN:)

I remember when he was here back 4th of July and they said it was gonna be his last apperance this year here in Miami area.

Maybe next year...

Till then, keep downloading new radio sets by Tiesto online....;)

Originally posted by xxgrooveericxx

I remember when he was here back 4th of July and they said it was gonna be his last apperance this year here in Miami area.

Maybe next year...

Till then, keep downloading new radio sets by Tiesto online....;)

hope thats not true....please pm me if he does come back:)