Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Pros and Cons: Legalization Of Marijuana

dcsocialdiva

Are you for or against the legalization of marijuana?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Are you for or against the legalization of marijuana?

• Pro - for legalization
    • Con - against legalization
    • Not Sure - can't say either way

I've noticed that the best threads have multiple sides. On that note, I thought this discussion would be perfect for Washington's wonderful and ecelectic personalities.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss marijuana and compare both sides of the issue of legalizing marijuana. We have two factions fighting each other ; one those who are pro marijuana and those who are anti marijuana. These two factions have been fighting on this issue on the halls of justice for years.

Now, what are your thoughts and can you back them up?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm pro legalizing it as long as the amount someone has is a reasonable and for personal use. it even seems extremely contradictory that there is medical research out there where the use of pot is recommended for extremely ill patients and the feds still go after them.

Originally posted by kken

to be serious, i have a friend in VA who has a degenerative arthritis disease who smokes up to help dull the pain and give him some appetite for when his prescribed drugs fuck him up.

same goes w/ ecstasy i might add. it also has some medical/therapeuthic purposes. hell even cocaine is still used as a topical anesthesia.

Guest jroo

making it legal wouldnt slove anything. sure for medicene, but we'd still have the dealings, the violence, smuggling. unless it becomes as common as ciggerettes.

i am neither for it or against it. but i also dont use it, so i dont have a strong opinion on it.

Originally posted by jroo

making it legal wouldnt slove anything. sure for medicene, but we'd still have the dealings, the violence, smuggling. unless it becomes as common as ciggerettes.

i am neither for it or against it. but i also dont use it, so i dont have a strong opinion on it.

the example i would put fwd. would be prohibition in the 20's.

Guest jroo
Originally posted by dcsocialdiva

Should regulations be in place? Or should there be self medication? Thoughts?

regulations. i hate doctors just like everyone else, but u still need them to treat/ diagnose you. you wouldnt just order shit for your car unless u knew it was going to be the long term fix.

Guest jroo
Originally posted by vicman

the example i would put fwd. would be prohibition in the 20's.

its already prohibited, what type of example are u trying to make?

Originally posted by tinybutterfli

kind of related....

I have a question too... do you think most people don't do drugs because they are illegal or because they honestly believe they fuck up your body/brain?

i think it's more the latter than the former... all them after school specials, movies, books, etc etc about people who become hopeless drug addicts and their life hits the shitter. it is some stark shit to see and if you actually know someone like that, drives the point home even more.

kind of related....

I have a question too... do you think most people don't do drugs because they are illegal or because they honestly believe they fuck up your body/brain?

i think it's because they are illegal. i dont know if there is any reasearch out there that studies the effects of recreational drug use in people who use them. i don't think any such study with rigid methods of statistical control would both be ethical and get IRB approval. teh research that i've seen always involves users that go into detox units, but i really can't recall, as it's been quite some time since i last read up on the subject.

by recreational i mean like 1 pill a month or every 2 months, or use of cocaine on a sporadic basis. i do not mean recreational as in "using it every other weekend." then again we would also have to define what do we mean by "recreational."

in essence i think most people get turned off because they are illegal, the average joe does not see past that.

There are some valid points here. There are issues of mis use, trafficking, abuse, violence and power. There are also issues of pain and its reduction, treatment of diseases and symptoms and legalization whether or not it would help or hinder the general public.

There are many sides to this debate.

Originally posted by dcsocialdiva

There are some valid points here. There are issues of mis use, trafficking, abuse, violence and power. There are also issues of pain and its reduction, treatment of diseases and symptoms and legalization whether or not it would help or hinder the general public.

There are many sides to this debate.

well medical uses aside, because i think that is a special circumstance, i still think that a personal amount of pot should be OK.

Guest jroo

He's refering to the Prohibition of Alcohol in the 20s. It was illegal during that time. Most people got their alcohol from Canada or bootleggers.

r u guys really that stupid? i know about the prohibition. what was ur point vic?

bootleggers is a cute term for the mafia and crime families. i know all about speak easy's and everything.

if the prohibition is ur defense, then all drugs need to stay illegal. alcohol is the most abused drug in the world, and is a major leading cause in premature deaths world wide.

what was ur point about the Prohibition Act of 1919

Originally posted by jroo

r u guys really that stupid? i know about the prohibition. what was ur point vic?

bootleggers is a cute term for the mafia and crime families. i know all about speak easy's and everything.

if the prohibition is ur defense, then all drugs need to stay illegal. alcohol is the most abused drug in the world, and is a major leading cause in premature deaths world wide.

what was ur point about the Prohibition Act of 1919

I know how to use google too :rolleyes:

I never once said you were stupid, I was just providing you with some information about what Vic said in his post. Your previous post made it sound like you did not know that he was refering to the Prohibition Act.

Guest jroo
Originally posted by vicman

well medical uses aside, because i think that is a special circumstance, i still think that a personal amount of pot should be OK.

a small amount of personal pot is only a misdeanor. its not that serious of a charge. the man typically goes after the dealers to cut off the supply. different states do different shit. anyway..