Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Avalon Review

Originally posted by ianjohn

They were playing disco house on the main floor. In my opinion if Avalon wants to be the cutting edge club in NY they should be playing some underground progressive music on the main floor.

You are a moron. The music you heard Friday night was 10 times more "cutting edge" than any "underground progressive" music ou there. There were maybe 2 disco house-ish songs played all night and they were bombs.

Only real complaint I had was the crowd on the dance floor. Absolutely awful with tons of sketchy dudes. Boo.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly have to say that "Avalon" was one of the worse club experience in a long time for many reasons.

We arrived at 1:40 and we were supposed to be on the comp list, but for the confusion and disorganized promoters we never got comped. But we were still to pay to get in to see all the "hype" about it. I got a beer that was $7 and 8 for drink since was not in the mood to drink or anything.

We walked around and have to say that was the ugliest crowd i have seen, i might as well hung out at the Copa or Exit Latin night. the place so hot , that we kept going out side to cool off.

Also the sound system was very destorted and have no clue who was the dj, but it sounded like he was playing the same track all night and was more like a Euro tech shit.

Also people were dressed like they were either stuck on 80's or just came out of a farm......

By 4am half the people were gone, and we could not take the torture anymore so we left and drove by few other places and went home...

Friday night was a night that brought back a lot of memories.

I haven't been in that space since 2001. I basically call Avalon a 'nicer limelight'. They covered up a lot of the stained glass, got rid of the angel hanging from the ceiling, the cross on the main floor. They refurnished the main bar on the floor, nicer walls, it all looks a bit cleaner. The sound system on the main floor is pretty tight, no major complaints there. I like the fact that there are no speakers at the main bar and a few other chill places. The lighting is nothing special.... They should have checked out the Gatecrasher nights at Limelight and kept the same theme. No smoke, no strobes, no lasers... surprising considering how popular they are at all the other clubs. The main entrace is really nice. I didn't check out the hangout/smoke spot outside till the night was over. It's great they don't have to let people out on the street.

Anyway back to Friday... got in around midnight, no line no problems. I thought it would be packed packed, but there was plenty of space just about everywhere in the club except for the hip hop room. I heard a few sluts were showin their tits. H&H spun till about 3am... way too much disco/diva/funky house for me. Lee Burridge came on afterwards but I didn't hang around for too long. It was a nice relief hearing him on the decks after 3 hours of disco stuff.

Now onto the crowd... very DIVERSE! Almost everyone under the sky showed up. You had people from every corner of NY and beyond. SF, Ravers, Freaks, a wedding party, huge hip hop crowd, 40-50 year old couples in suits, young guys in suits, crack heads, candy kids, etc etc etc.. WTF was up with the dress code? I guess fridays are relaxed. Jeans and sneakers were no problem. Sounds like Saturdays are real strict. Maybe they were a little more relaxed because it wasn't packed.

Pretty good night overall. Coronas cost $7 or $8 each. The new bathroom on the 2nd floor is rediculous, a bit overkill. The put VIP tables on the stage on the main floor... shows you what kind of crowd they are catering to.

Party has definete potential. Peace

Originally posted by djfabioc

Also people were dressed like they were either stuck on 80's or just came out of a farm......

if you had a miserable time because of the way other people were dressed, you fully deserved to. Feel free to make assumptions as to how I dress, and proceed to mock me for your inaccurate assumptions. It'll be funny. For me.

As to the music, I agree that it was not that great. Hip-E and Halo played some good deep house in the start of the night, but then bored the shit out of me until Lee Burridge went on, who started strong, but lost it after 3 records. He seemed too distracted by the throng of people jammed into the dj box.

Anyway, this leads me to my other post....anyone know what the second track burridge played was? It had some crazy bassline that kicked me in the ass.... anyone?

Originally posted by dalex

He seemed too distracted by the throng of people jammed into the dj box.

thats funny, thats exactly what I was thinking!!! not cool at all from a clubgoer standpoint, it seemed he had no interaction with the crowd:(

The sound in there is not good IMO, sounded distorted even at the levels they played at on friday...

also the folks that run those parties need to reconsider their approach to lighting... I mean you are playing in an old school gothic church, the old Limelight, i mean lets get serious here - turn down those damn lights! and that moveable lighting system is ridiculous... :blown:

Originally posted by neptune1

also the folks that run those parties need to reconsider their approach to lighting... I mean you are playing in an old school gothic church, the old Limelight, i mean lets get serious here - turn down those damn lights! and that moveable lighting system is ridiculous... :blown:

Exactly my point! Avalon isn't Exit dammit... :blank: I mean come on.. they have the perfect space, 3 story ceiling.. throw some lasers around. Strobes never hurt anyone either.

Gatecrasher March 2001 - Tiesto, Bond, Ordanel... the best lighting ever.

hey guys i thought the party was good. I had a really good time. i had a few drinks and not 14 dollas each, more like 9 bucks. Which is the going rate i feel in nyc. The music on the main floor could have been beter. I met some really nice people the crowd was really cool and diverse. The staff also was very friendly thats a change in what i am used to.

I will be there Next Friday!!!!

#1- I had a great time. Crowd was diverse like may people have stated so far. Now the music on the main floor was ok, very different then what I'm used to, personally I enjoy harder beats when it comes to house.

#2- Promotion... It seem to go good in my eyes. The place was crowded. I had no problem geting my reduced addmission. Walked right in no problem. Staff I say was very friendly.

#3- Maybe some of you didnt like it but to each is own. It can only get beter from here.

I will be there next friday with bells on ;)

biatchzxz

"THE LADIES WERE AMAZING"

Originally posted by joecrack13

finally people agreeing with me for once instead of tearing me a new asshole...heres the thing...when u got bad promotion ur gonna have limelight turning into the way it was where u have some shit NY DJ who plays KTU crap and ull have mad underaged kids wearing throwback jerseys thinking theyre jiggaman, starting fights and all that hiphop nonsense...please god do not let that happen...i also wish the dance floor was a bit bigger as well...ill be out there tonight for Carl Kennedy, BT and Astro&Glyde...the Saturday crowd is probably more my style anyway but i would definitely not hesistate to go on fridays anyway...like someone said im going for the music not the promoters but also like i said depending on the crowd they bring in will make or break the place

you know something i like the ktu crap and i like nyc dj's and a lot of other people do to. Avalon friday was cool i had a nice time it was very mixed and different but i had a good time and i would go back. I would go back now and if they play ktu house too.

Just remember Nyc Has there own dj's and they are great too. We really dont need intrenational dj's we have enough great talent here. dont get me wrong international dj's are good but dont diss the local talent. remember were your from

Originally posted by neptune1

thats funny, thats exactly what I was thinking!!! not cool at all from a clubgoer standpoint, it seemed he had no interaction with the crowd:(

....which is suprising, considering i've seen him about 6 times now, and he's always had far more crowd interaction than any 'superstar' dj i've ever seen.

the sound was tight, but on the second level and other areas, there were several areas where you could only hear muffled sound making its way from the main floor. they could definitely use some small speakers in those areas - nothing too loud, but enough to get the music there undistorted.

they definitely also expected the lighting system to be mind-blowing, which it wasn't. at first it caught me off guard when it started lowering and changing around like a transformer, but they could've spent that money more wisely. it didn't help when the lighting guy took a break and there were no lights whatsoever for about an hour-and-a-half either.

drinks were as expensive as I expected - $10 for a grey goose + tonic, and there was a little more than a full shot of alcohol in each of them. Staff was friendly too....I'd go back, absolutely.

I have not made it over to the club yet,,but i thought it wa 21 and over also Exit and soud f fridays are over now so i think you will see alot of punks going here now....the VIBE has been dead since 98/99 and wE know y.........the truth hurts it but its truE..

I was not big on it but everyone was trying it for the frist time now it just not the samE......THINK..

i don't know what some of you people are smoking but the music was no where close to disco. if anything i think some of you need to widen your range of music than listen to your trance mainstream dj's.. H-Foundation i think spun a better set than Lee Burridge and both those sets were loopy and funky as hell that what West Coast House is. the music was sick all nite. anyways can't wait for Oct 17 that will be another eventfull nite.

peace

I honestly have to say that "Avalon" was one of the worse club experience in a long time for many reasons.

We arrived at 1:40 and we were supposed to be on the comp list, but for the confusion and disorganized promoters we never got comped. But we were still to pay to get in to see all the "hype" about it. I got a beer that was $7 and 8 for drink since was not in the mood to drink or anything.

We walked around and have to say that was the ugliest crowd i have seen, i might as well hung out at the Copa or Exit Latin night. the place so hot , that we kept going out side to cool off.

Also the sound system was very destorted and have no clue who was the dj, but it sounded like he was playing the same track all night and was more like a Euro tech shit.

By 4am half the people were gone, and we could not take the torture anymore so we left and drove by few other places and went home...

i think you should stick to Copa Exit and SF cause you have no idea what ur talking about and go play with your silicone dolls.. Get a clue

Originally posted by hmnyc

i think you should stick to Copa Exit and SF cause you have no idea what ur talking about and go play with your silicone dolls.. Get a clue

Listen

1 I never been to copa

2 I haven't been to exit for almost a year and

3 who do you think you are with your 200 posts here?

Listen, i think you a need a clue :blown: you could never compared Factory with that place

FYI everyone i was there saturday night

Listen

3 who do you think you are with your 200 posts here?

so i don't know music because i have 200 posts to my name, yea you make a lot of sense. sorry i don't spend my life on the messageboard trying to argue with people like you who have no clue about house music. listen ive seen the pictures youve taken in the past of you posing with those nasty trannies you hang out with at Exit or where ever you go, if you think thats a good time posing in a club with these ugly bitches more power to you. just by seeing the picture of you and johnny vicious or however you spell his name i know you listen to nonsense thats bad for the teeth.

Originally posted by hmnyc

so i don't know music because i have 200 posts to my name, yea you make a lot of sense. sorry i don't spend my life on the messageboard trying to argue with people like you who have no clue about house music. listen ive seen the pictures youve taken in the past of you posing with those nasty trannies you hang out with at Exit or where ever you go, if you think thats a good time posing in a club with these ugly bitches more power to you. just by seeing the picture of you and johnny vicious or however you spell his name i know you listen to nonsense thats bad for the teeth.

I have one think to tell you

go fuck yourself:blown: