Clubplanet Nightlife Community

whats wrong here

Ummm, that's a kind of wide-open question :confused:

If you know anything about american history, it was a degradatory word used against black slaves back in the day.

Now it seems to have morphed into acceptance among the black population to some degree to show solidarity.

But i don't know about that. To me it's a controversial word and i don't use it ;)

<~~~ feelin like a black smurf for a minute :cool:

Originally posted by ghhhhhost

theres a big difference between the ER and A suffix when using this word...

the ER will get u sent to ER

That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

It's the same word, if the word is unacceptable for us white people to use, black people shouldn't use it either.

How can black people say that word to each other and it's cool, but if I say it I'm a racist??

Originally posted by jimk29

It's the same word, if the word is unacceptable for us white people to use, black people shouldn't use it either.

How can black people say that word to each other and it's cool, but if I say it I'm a racist??

I remember we had a discussion about this in an english class in college. Our proff relayed a stroy about some political figure who used the word "niggardly" (1 Grudging and petty in giving or spending. 2 Meanly small; scanty or meager: left the waiter a niggardly tip.) to describe someone or someone's actions and was asked to resign because of it. I think that is fuckin :ghey:

In regards to the actualy word "nigger", i agree with jimk

...even if it was socially acceptable for "white people" AKA anyone who isnt black (:blank: ) to say it, however, i wouldnt...

that was a joke btw...

im white..i use it ..its the context...u dont walk up to some 65 yr old southern black man and say it...u dont walk up to a member of the Nation and say it...

theres certain people that can get away with using it even though theyre not black...ive never caught drama for using the word...

if its some bitchass wanabe-thug from the 'burbs flappin off its a whole different story..

that was a joke btw...

im white..i use it ..its the context...u dont walk up to some 65 yr old southern black man and say it...u dont walk up to a member of the Nation and say it...

theres certain people that can get away with using it even though theyre not black...ive never caught drama for using the word...

if its some bitchass wanabe-thug from the 'burbs flappin off its a whole different story..

OK... my bad. But if you were serious, that is how I would respond. ;)

idk...but my 1st college was about 90% black people.....One of my white friends used the term "nigga" when talking to 1 of my black friends & the kid is lucky he didn't get his ass beat...But anyway...my black friend explained that that word when used among black people...it's ok to say...but when someone of another race says it....even if they are using it in slang...well...they just shouldn't!! i don't get it...but i guess every ethnicity race has similar words/phrases that only THEY use towards each other

i havent found that to be true..ur friend was prolly dealing with an individual with major complexes...or just happened to be dealing with an extremist...and any type of extremist is impossible to deal with

Like I said...I don't get it.....if it's used in slang & BOTH people know that I don't see there being an issue about it...but the people I used to hang w/ had a problem w/ it :blank:

Originally posted by sweetie029

idk...but my 1st college was about 90% black people.....One of my white friends used the term "nigga" when talking to 1 of my black friends & the kid is lucky he didn't get his ass beat...But anyway...my black friend explained that that word when used among black people...it's ok to say...but when someone of another race says it....even if they are using it in slang...well...they just shouldn't!! i don't get it...but i guess every ethnicity race has similar words/phrases that only THEY use towards each other

No, I don't think they do... name one other word that another race uses towards each other that is deemed unacceptable for anyone else to say??

No, I don't think they do... name one other word that another race uses towards each other that is deemed unacceptable for anyone else to say??

im playin devils advocate here...

but i know from personal experience Albanians call each other Shiptar (Shqiptar) ..which is derived from the hungarian name for Albania....

but if anyone (especially serb) were to call them that they take offense..

but once again this is such a specialized example...so it loosely applies

Never said I agreed w/ it...but a lot of people who I have come in contact w/ have felt this way...& if you saw in my post I said I don't get why :blank:;)

im playin devils advocate here...

but i know from personal experience Albanians call each other Shiptar (Shqiptar) ..which is derived from the hungarian name for Albania....

but if anyone (especially serb) were to call them that they take offense..

but once again this is such a specialized example...so it loosely applies

Very loosely... I have never heard that before.

and Sweety... you said "i guess every ethnicity race has similar words/phrases that only THEY use towards each other"

and I said that they don't.

Very loosely... I have never heard that before.

and Sweety... you said "i guess every ethnicity race has similar words/phrases that only THEY use towards each other"

and I said that they don't.

I was going to bring up the Albanian thing.....

Also.....my ex is Greek...Him & his friends used to constantly refer to each other as malaka when speaking to one another...Now if I was told correctly the word means asshole or something like that....idk how correct that is....all I know is he told me if someone else uses the word who is not Greek.....it's not the same

OK, so they're not all ethnic slurs, but you got-

Fag, queer, dyke...

Bitch, slut, whore...

Mick, Paddy...

All of which are deemed insults unless used by the person to whom they refer, or someone friendly with them.

Serge is right, it's all about the context and attitude.

Hell, the word "nigga" doesn't even refer to just blacks anymore.

With that said, I hate the word, don't use it, and would be none too happy were anyone to refer to me as one...

Originally posted by tastyt

OK, so they're not all ethnic slurs, but you got-

Fag, queer, dyke...

Bitch, slut, whore...

Mick, Paddy...

All of which are deemed insults unless used by the person to whom they refer, or someone friendly with them.

Serge is right, it's all about the context and attitude.

Hell, the word "nigga" doesn't even refer to just blacks anymore.

With that said, I hate the word, don't use it, and would be none too happy were anyone to refer to me as one...

Look, just because you happen to be dating a drunken MICK, don't give me that shit...;)