Clubplanet Nightlife Community

We should learn from the UK

UK Government Issues Guidelines For Harm Reduction Efforts Regarding Safe Use Of Ecstasy

The UK's Home Office announced that it will "ignore the personal use of Ecstasy and other so-called dance drugs in nightclubs." The Times of London reported on March 8, 2002 ( "Home Office Softens Line Against Dance Drugs") that "In a new set of Home Office guidelines the Government accepts that drug-taking is a part of youth culture that cannot be eradicated. It wants the public to recognise that drug misuse has to be fought on many fronts."

The Times reported that "The guide underpins the Government's strategy of focusing on dealers and the impact of hard drugs such as heroin and cocaine while developing ways of minimising the harm caused by dance club drugs. It gives clubs advice on how to prevent dealing and how to make the venues safer for clubbers using drugs, including the provision of 'chill-out' rooms, water and better ventilation. It also called for 'amnesty boxes' where young people can deposit drugs they are carrying before they are searched. The guide also urges clubs to instal metal detectors to curb gun crime in big cities. The guide, Safer Clubbing, says: 'Controlled drug use has become a large part of youth culture and is, for many young people, an integral part of a night out.'"

The Times reported: "Releasing the guide, Bob Ainsworth, a junior Home Office Minister, admitted the reality of the scale of drug-taking. He said there was no point ignoring the drug culture surrounding the club scene. 'We have to recognise that some clubbers will continue to ignore the risks and carry on taking dangerous drugs,' Mr Ainsworth said. 'If we cannot stop them from taking drugs then we must be prepared to take steps to reduce the harm that they may cause themselves. We are not asking club owners to condone the use of drugs on their premises. What we're asking them to do is accept that we're not going to be successful in the entirety in keeping drugs out of the club scene.'"

The UK Home Office makes available the "Safer Clubbing Guide" through the web from http://thesten.com/main/k.php?key=YOUNG. A version of the guide in a smaller filesize is also available.

unfortunately, here, it may take another 100 years for officials to comprehend that shutting down clubs will not change drug use....

I don't think they will change their attitude towards "dance drugs" after they've brainwashed our moms and dads... many people in government have 2 opinions towards drugs:one ---for home, another for public and media, they will not jeopardize their comfy seat in City Hall ...

Europe will always be 100 steps ahead of us .....thats sad... America is more conservative and strict nowdays???? it was the other way around before...

Its very well known that alcohol kills much more people than E, weed and special K all together but it does not get you into jail for use.... thats so unfair and plain stupid....

People save $$$ and party in Europe thats what I do and have best memories from there..

Originally posted by nafania

Europe will always be 100 steps ahead of us .....thats sad... America is more conservative and strict nowdays???? it was the other way around before...

I don't think that's true at all. America was founded in puritanism and has stayed firmly rooted in it ever since.

I don't think I'd be rushing to legalize club drugs though. Weed - ok that might have a case for legalization, but sorry to say it, the other stuff is riskier IMHO. Shut down the clubs for it? Absolutely not, that's totally assinine. But legalizing it is just going a bit too far

Originally posted by vixenfoxxy

I don't think that's true at all. America was founded in puritanism and has stayed firmly rooted in it ever since.

I don't think I'd be rushing to legalize club drugs though. Weed - ok that might have a case for legalization, but sorry to say it, the other stuff is riskier IMHO. Shut down the clubs for it? Absolutely not, that's totally assinine. But legalizing it is just going a bit too far

Thats the one bad thing about America it was founded by a bunch of wackos that were so strict that England kicked them out, not for nothing but if the British tell you, you need to relax you have a problem.

Originally posted by vixenfoxxy

:clap: