Clubplanet Nightlife Community

more drama.....

l155a

"I don't know about you, but I plan on making it"- Walt Dink to a DJ friend of mine.

Walt also will say stuff like "People in Boston can't appreciate real house music, and that's why I refuse to waste my time playing here", when in actuality he was practically begging for gigs lol

T and Walt go waaaaaaaaay back haha

XOOX

drama between dj's isn't cool also. i do agree with what todd wrote. i RARELY write detailed reviews on dj sets or nights and i will also get pissed at people like say at axis for dissing dj's and yelling out 'you fucking suck'(yes i yelled at someone who seriously said this to one of the sq1 residents). i also know of people that will completely critique a dj's performance to the point where it's ridiculous and tell this to the dj in a way that isn't so nice. unfortunately this has gone on between my friends. just like the walt thing, i end up seeing both sides. flava, it sucks you and mike had to have that be your first encounter with walt.....i am willing to bet $100 he was drunk.....but i won't defend his actions.

one time i did write a detailed review praising newcombe's set at the dipppppppp a while ago when he closed and played after taner because i felt he completely and honestly deserved it. andrew really stepped up that time and deserved the praise that he hardly ever gets, which goes for a lot of local dj's as well that totally deserve it. praise belongs where it is truly earned.

Originally posted by flavanugz

i figure if i deserve to spin out, and have worked hard enough for it, then it will happen.

:rolleyes: .

I'm not trying to be a dick flava, but one thing I've realized during the short time I've spent in the biz, is that "deserving it" has about as much to do with getting a paying gig as what color underwear you have on. The working hard part you've got right, but it's not about working hard on your DJ'ing abillity, it's about working hard to get a bigger guest list than the next guy.

P.S. "Deserving it" usually does have everything to do with getting a non-paying gig though, and those can be more fun to play at :aright:

Originally posted by unclefester401

:rolleyes: .

I'm not trying to be a dick flava, but one thing I've realized during the short time I've spent in the biz, is that "deserving it" has about as much to do with getting a paying gig as what color underwear you have on. The working hard part you've got right, but it's not about working hard on your DJ'ing abillity, it's about working hard to get a bigger guest list than the next guy.

P.S. "Deserving it" usually does have everything to do with getting a non-paying gig though, and those can be more fun to play at :aright:

A jaded, yet mostly accurate statement.

It doesn't always turn out badly for everyone. We've had the chance to do some really awesome shows based largely on the fact that people thought we were good dudes, and nothing to do with how many heads we could bring. But a big and underappreciated aspect of this is marketing. Sorry but it is. In most cases the better marketer will get the gig before the better technical DJ. At the end of the day, a club is a business, not a talent show.

i dont know why you rolled your eyes at me fester, cuz i do agree with you. i guess when i said deserving it, i meant by working hard and doing shit you need to do, good things happen. i also have always been a believer that the cream WILL rise to the top.

you dont think that getting good at djing has anything to do with it. alot of becoming succesful is unfortunately luck, but i think most of the crap djs get big when they dont really "deserve" it...ie they arent good, and they end up staying that way there whole life. never pushing a new sound or trying to perfect their skillz. i know im not even half as good as i would like to be and im the type of person who wont stop until i am at that point.