Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Chris 30 Records To Mix At Sleep

I have to admit, the staff at Sleep is very nice. I am wasted thanks for the bartenders! Staying local for the last few Saturdays, the dj plays the same songs every weekend. If I hear appreciate me one more time, I am going to be sick. If I wanted to hear the same songs I'd just turn on KTU. Chris HipHop Mix play something different already.

Thank god for Andrew Mendez next weekend, I just might stumble in again.

Originally posted by sexyfukncritic

I have to admit, the staff at Sleep is very nice. I am wasted thanks for the bartenders! Staying local for the last few Saturdays, the dj plays the same songs every weekend. If I hear appreciate me one more time, I am going to be sick. If I wanted to hear the same songs I'd just turn on KTU. Chris HipHop Mix play something different already.

Thank god for Andrew Mendez next weekend, I just might stumble in again.

Thanks for coming in every week and thanks for your feedback. You must understand that the clubs format for Saturday’s is KTU vocals, mainstream hip-hop and reggae and some progressive house. There are only so many new songs every month that fit the format of the night. I am also tired of “Appreciate Me†but the dance floor went crazy when I played it. Also, I am sometimes asked by management to play certain songs and change the direction of a set, so I must do as I am asked. I was also flooded with requests last night and filled almost every one. Requests included Lumidee, Debra Cox, Motorcycle, Bucci Bag, Appreciate Me, Melanie C and Satisfaction. As for the hip hop, it was agreed when I was hired that the hip hop sets would be mainstream………..basically what radio is playing. I’m not sure what time you came in last night, but I played at least 10 records throughout the night that I haven’t played yet on a Saturday including some older stuff. I am very conscience about being repetitive and try to add 1 or 2 new records to my set every week, but there has not been a lot of new music the second half of the year. Bottom line, the key to being a successful D.J. is consistency.

I gotta agree with Chris. It's not as if "the d.j." plays what he wants. He has to cater to management as well as the crowd. Granted "the d.j." has some creative control, but what plays is not entirely up to him. I would honestly rather hear a bangin song 10 weekends in a row, then 5 new crappie ones each week. "Appreciate me" now makes me want to throw up too, but it's still A LOT better than some of the crap I hear playin in some clubs. Just my 2 cents.