Clubplanet Nightlife Community

H_Foundation @ The Vault Review

philippio

Well, I have to say that rarely is there a party in O-town that can convince me to drive to that awful city in central Florida. But last night, Hipp-E & Halo definitely did not disappoint!!!:D

The venue is about the same size and similar in layout to Icon, except that the dj booth is right next to the dancefloor. There's a wraparound second level creating the typical atrium over the dancefloor. The crowd was quite into the music, although I must say, the sounds must have seemed a bit alien to Orlando's breaks scene. The floor was pretty much filled to capacity by about 12:30. We got there at 10:15 and the opening set was very much in the spirit of funky, sleazy house. A very solid effort to welcome H_Foundation to Orlando. I was expecting that the two would be tag teaming but in the end, each one ended up playing roughly a 1.5 hour set. The vibe was quite good compared to most other parties that I had been to in Orlando. Lighting was somewhat simple but purposeful. There were no stupid sirens (or horns) luckily and I didn't see a smoke machine either. It was a basic setup that allowed us to concentrate on the music and dancing!!! The opening set contained quite a few tracks on the Doubledown and Tango label (that I could identify) but Hipp-E and Halo's set was all alien to me! A definite plus in my opinion. No cheesy anthems or overplayed crap (like you hear at a lot of clubs in Miami which I won't name). Being Orlando, drinks and cover were cheap but like Space, all drinks were served in plastic cups. Not my cup of tea. The composition of the crowd was not in guys' favor (at times, the words swordfight and sausagefest came to mind). Not a huge deal, since I was there to listen to my two favorite dj's first and foremost. Dress code was almost non-existent (or at least very relaxed). That's a definite plus in my book for when you're going to be dancing. The sound system was not anything above just ordinary. Something a bit more bass-heavy would have been appreciated, I'm sure!

The best part of it all was that everyone was there to have fun and dance. Door staff and security were kept at a bare minimum and the pretentiousness and attitude that is so predominant and plagues Miami's club scene were definitely absent last night.

In conclusion, if I had to compare last night to the two times I saw H_Foundation at Centro-Fly, I would say that their sets in NYC were more full-bodied and ecclectic (that's to be expected considering Centro-Fly is open until 5am which gives more time to build a logical groove). However, I was very satisfied with yesterday's party and I don't regret driving up in the least bit. The promoters and the venue should be commended for a job well done!

Originally posted by philippio

Well, I have to say that rarely is there a party in O-town that can convince me to drive to that awful city in central Florida. But last night, Hipp-E & Halo definitely did not disappoint!!!:D

The venue is about the same size and similar in layout to Icon, except that the dj booth is right next to the dancefloor. There's a wraparound second level creating the typical atrium over the dancefloor. The crowd was quite into the music, although I must say, the sounds must have seemed a bit alien to Orlando's breaks scene. The floor was pretty much filled to capacity by about 12:30. We got there at 10:15 and the opening set was very much in the spirit of funky, sleazy house. A very solid effort to welcome H_Foundation to Orlando. I was expecting that the two would be tag teaming but in the end, each one ended up playing roughly a 1.5 hour set. The vibe was quite good compared to most other parties that I had been to in Orlando. Lighting was somewhat simple but purposeful. There were no stupid sirens (or horns) luckily and I didn't see a smoke machine either. It was a basic setup that allowed us to concentrate on the music and dancing!!! The opening set contained quite a few tracks on the Doubledown and Tango label (that I could identify) but Hipp-E and Halo's set was all alien to me! A definite plus in my opinion. No cheesy anthems or overplayed crap (like you hear at a lot of clubs in Miami which I won't name). Being Orlando, drinks and cover were cheap but like Space, all drinks were served in plastic cups. Not my cup of tea. The composition of the crowd was not in guys' favor (at times, the words swordfight and sausagefest came to mind). Not a huge deal, since I was there to listen to my two favorite dj's first and foremost. Dress code was almost non-existent (or at least very relaxed). That's a definite plus in my book for when you're going to be dancing. The sound system was not anything above just ordinary. Something a bit more bass-heavy would have been appreciated, I'm sure!

The best part of it all was that everyone was there to have fun and dance. Door staff and security were kept at a bare minimum and the pretentiousness and attitude that is so predominant and plagues Miami's club scene were definitely absent last night.

In conclusion, if I had to compare last night to the two times I saw H_Foundation at Centro-Fly, I would say that their sets in NYC were more full-bodied and ecclectic (that's to be expected considering Centro-Fly is open until 5am which gives more time to build a logical groove). However, I was very satisfied with yesterday's party and I don't regret driving up in the least bit. The promoters and the venue should be commended for a job well done!

I'm so upset i missed it. :mad:

Btw ... great review. :aright:

What an excellent night indeed. I am so very pleased to read your review philippio.

Most of all your thoughtful remark "The promoters and the venue should be commended for a job well done! "

These guys have been working their ass off the pass few months to make it happen.

For that i commend you. Definitely a well educated music lover to venture out of south florida...all the way to o-town.

I definitely had my displeasure with sound and lighting, but it is a new club dedicated to the music while keeping drink

and entry prices at very reasonable rates. You have to understand that we (orlando) don't have the miami budgets

to design and build clubs due to the 2AM liquor law and 3AM close down. Now if you understand that...you will see

that is the reason for so many cheesy mainstream, college crowd clubs in orlando. This is a HUGE step for house music

and house heads alike in central florida to get a large venue dedicated to HOUSE MUSIC! Best of luck to the Vault,

hopefuly it will take us house heads to the next level that we so deserve in O-town.

Keep your eyes on the vault and Soulpatch collective...these guys are about to shine.

And look to orlando in the future to host some of the best true house events in FL.

Get up off the wall and..."GET DOWN ON IT"

SS:D

Got there around 11 and it was gettin there. The space is nice with the upstairs opening up nicely into a sort of chill area with seating and windows. And like phillipo said, no smoke, sirens or cheese. They did have a bongo setup though, which worked in well for a few tracks if you stood close enough to them. I thought Hipp-e was great! Good sexy house that had me rockin for a while. Halo was just ok imo. Got there pretty buzzed and left pretty drizunk. Good times....:)

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that came from Miami to see the boys play. I am with soulpatch collective and also the dj before H-foundation came on. It was great to see such a wide variety of people from all over the state..............Phillipio, thanks for the wonderful review and I'm glad you came all the way up to spend some time with us. I just wish you would not slander Orlando so much. My crew and I have been working very hard for the past three years or so to bring a solid scene to OUR fine city. We will never be Miami, but thats okay to me.You should check us out a little more often as we will continue to bring quality acts to the central Florida scene. Just in the past year Orlando has seen the likes of EastcoastBoogiemen,Lawnchair Generals, Feelgood,Tony Hewitt, Chang,Josh Wink,Danny Howells,Funky transport,Joshua,Mark Grant,Kaskade,Andy Caldwell, DeMarkus Lewis..........the list goes on and on. And I did not even mention Tampa,witch has a great house scene(thanks Busto)

I will definetly be posting our upcoming parties on clubplanet so I hope you stay tuned and check us out. Thanks again for the review. VIVA LA MUSICA

I can't believe I'm wasting my time in thi s fucking corrupt city when you guys are busy up there bringing real dj's!!!

Keep up the great work. Actually East Coast Boogiemen and Lawnchair Generals were in Lauderdale a little while ago. I'd love to see them, and especially DeMarkus Lewis and Tony Hewitt!!!

Definitely keep CPers informed on your upcoming parties!!!