Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Hopefully Sportsfans in the US ...

marcodavalos

... will get involved into soccer a bit more.

Been watching the Youth Soccer World Cup (max age 20) in which the US is participating. They ended 1st in their group and will face Ivory Coast next Monday at noon.

For those of you who don't know/care, the US has a 14 year old playing in the tournament, Freddy Adu.

I had read about him but hadn't had the luck to watch him play. He played a few minutes in the previous game that the US lost 3-1 to Germany.

He played today since the start.

Adu will bring excitement to the game in this country. The comparisons to Pele are exaggerated, specially because he is only 14.

Adu has the ability needed to be a world star in the near future. But most importantly, his intelligence to move in the field and the reading of the game, which puts him far and away from the rest.

Adu is originally from Ghana. He arrived at age 8 when his mom won one of the US Visa Loteries. He has just signed a contract of $ 1 million with Nike, and signed by the MLS, leaving aside offers of some of the biggest clubs in Europe.

The potential is there. Here is more reading on Adu

Its true what you say Marco but in this country I dont think soccer will ever be that popular maybe in a few years but......even though I think soccer is the sport that most youth play now here in the United States....Like you and I soccer runs from our grandfathers to our fathers on to us and then to our children.Its a passion thats been evolved during many many years and that its going to take some time to it hit big here.(if it ever does)

just my$0.02:cool:

Hopefully ARGENTINA will take it for the what? 5th time?;)

Originally posted by marcodavalos

... will get involved into soccer a bit more.

Been watching the Youth Soccer World Cup (max age 20) in which the US is participating. They ended 1st in their group and will face Ivory Coast next Monday at noon.

For those of you who don't know/care, the US has a 14 year old playing in the tournament, Freddy Adu.

I had read about him but hadn't had the luck to watch him play. He played a few minutes in the previous game that the US lost 3-1 to Germany.

He played today since the start.

Adu will bring excitement to the game in this country. The comparisons to Pele are exaggerated, specially because he is only 14.

Adu has the ability needed to be a world star in the near future. But most importantly, his intelligence to move in the field and the reading of the game, which puts him far and away from the rest.

Adu is originally from Ghana. He arrived at age 8 when his mom won one of the US Visa Loteries. He has just signed a contract of $ 1 million with Nike, and signed by the MLS, leaving aside offers of some of the biggest clubs in Europe.

The potential is there. Here is more reading on Adu

:puke:

Remember ... if Saleen ever has kids ... they will like the game. :D

They'll go ... enuff of those pu**y sports in which they need to use their hands for everything ... LOL :laugh: :laugh: ... :D

Yeah and he might even supply em with steroids........ :laugh::eek:

Originally posted by treepwood728

according to statistics USA soccer team should be in the top 5 maybe even top 3 next world cup. and by the following world cup they might even be #1

You never know, thats what makes this sport exciting.......USA must be the team that has improved the most in the last few years.

My neighbor played AYSO Soccer in Michigan for like 10 years.... I used to go all the time... it was fun to watch the kids play... they're so cute.

All though I'm not all-knowing when it comes to Soccer - I will say that it's a tough sport..... theres no way I could run up and down the field like those guys do... and then bump n' grind and kick shins and bounce the ball off my head, etc.... that sports insane..........................:eek:

Soccer guys have such awesome bodies:drool: :drool: :drool:

I read about that Adu kid a while back..... 14 years old - $1mill from Nike..... wooowza!

I'll stick with American Football and Hockey for now... but some day I'll have to get a lesson from you Marco:D

Originally posted by lolahotass

My neighbor played AYSO Soccer in Michigan for like 10 years.... I used to go all the time... it was fun to watch the kids play... they're so cute.

All though I'm not all-knowing when it comes to Soccer - I will say that it's a tough sport..... theres no way I could run up and down the field like those guys do... and then bump n' grind and kick shins and bounce the ball off my head, etc.... that sports insane..........................:eek:

Soccer guys have such awesome bodies:drool: :drool: :drool:

I read about that Adu kid a while back..... 14 years old - $1mill from Nike..... wooowza!

I'll stick with American Football and Hockey for now... but some day I'll have to get a lesson from you Marco:D

Anytime Lola. :):kiss2: :kiss2:

Check this thread out ...

Italian Derbies

Soccer is rivalry between cities/people/regions/countries that go back even centuries. The pride of those involved is somewhat settled in a soccer field. :eek:

Anytime Lola. :):kiss2: :kiss2:

Check this thread out ...

Italian Derbies

Soccer is rivalry between cities/people/regions/countries that go back even centuries. The pride of those involved is somewhat settled in a soccer field. :eek:

Thats one of the many interesting things about soccer.... how many people/countries it involves... pretty kewl in my book:D

Guest saleen351

Strap on the pads, and line up on a the grid iron... Football takes years off your life. Football when it first came around, at princeton rutgers etc, was so dangerous, men were dying every week, including the presidents son.

Besides going into the military, putting the pads on and lining up, will show you what kind of a man you are. You two would not last one nfl play, not one, nor could I. Soccer will never blow up, it did for 2 years in NJ when Pele was playing for the cosmos.. It failed then, and will fail now, the world cup did nothing for the sport, and the guys on espn just make fun of it, and skip it. Soccer has 3 flaws, no strategy and no physical contact and it's not an elite club. Any person can play soccer, maybe not at the level of pros, but there is little in the way of physical limitation on the sport. Whereas in hockey, football, baseball,boxing,basketball, you have to be born right in order to have any shot, thus making it an elite club.

I watched a game the other day for about 5 mins, it was around the 80 min mark, and it was 1 nothing. The crowd barely has anything to cheer about, and who wants to watch a game where you sit around for 80 mins and it's 1 nothing??? Watching pait dry is more fun..

sorry guys, you live in dade county, ouside of dade county, no one gives a fuck, and more and more latin guys are following reall football, not soccer. The latins at my old job would come in every monday and ask all sorts of questions cause they didn't understand but they loved wathcing it.

Originally posted by saleen351

Strap on the pads, and line up on a the grid iron... Football takes years off your life. Football when it first came around, at princeton rutgers etc, was so dangerous, men were dying every week, including the presidents son.

Besides going into the military, putting the pads on and lining up, will show you what kind of a man you are. You two would not last one nfl play, not one, nor could I. Soccer will never blow up, it did for 2 years in NJ when Pele was playing for the cosmos.. It failed then, and will fail now, the world cup did nothing for the sport, and the guys on espn just make fun of it, and skip it. Soccer has 3 flaws, no strategy and no physical contact and it's not an elite club. Any person can play soccer, maybe not at the level of pros, but there is little in the way of physical limitation on the sport. Whereas in hockey, football, baseball,boxing,basketball, you have to be born right in order to have any shot, thus making it an elite club.

I watched a game the other day for about 5 mins, it was around the 80 min mark, and it was 1 nothing. The crowd barely has anything to cheer about, and who wants to watch a game where you sit around for 80 mins and it's 1 nothing??? Watching pait dry is more fun..

sorry guys, you live in dade county, ouside of dade county, no one gives a fuck, and more and more latin guys are following reall football, not soccer. The latins at my old job would come in every monday and ask all sorts of questions cause they didn't understand but they loved wathcing it.

It will take a player like Adu, who can become one of the greatest in the sport, to bring out the pride of dominance that US sports fans are missing nowadays in soccer. Women's soccer is probably 1 or 2% of world soccer. I believe the interest in the game in America is so low because of pride. Americans don't like to be 2nd to none. And I salute it. Adu could change this. There will be a huge difference between going to check out a Brazilian play for a NY/NJ team than to watch an American ranked as the top player in the game.

As a parallel to this. How much did Michael Jordan add to Basketball? It tripled Nike sales in a year. How much did the game grow because of him? To the point where it rivals MLB and the NFL?

As to the physical limitations. Why have Americans been limited physically in this game? My answer is simple. If a sports fan like you doesn't understand soccer, who would? It takes more than physical conditions to become great in this game. Afterall, the hands are barely used. It is the development of sensibility on your feet and the intelligence to read the game on your own. Not stopping to ask what to do. It is this characteristic alone which maintains the game so close to an art.

Btw ... starting January, ESPN will launch ESPN Deportes a 24 hour sports channel where soccer will have more exposure than in the past 5 years. It is a good start. Hopefully ESPN and their parent companies realize there is more than Dade County. :rolleyes: If not sell all Disney stock ASAP.

Guest saleen351

I played traveling soccer for well over 10 years... Football i played for 5 years.. I understand soccer, so does america, we simply don't care and bowling has 10 times the ratings of soccer in the us...

Adu got 15 mins of press when he signed the deal, and you have to look at why they signed him. Years ago, Phil Mcknight signed so many players that they were loosing money, now only a hand full are indorsed by Nike. You lack of history cracks me up, long before MJ came on the scene, it was Bird vs Magic for my childhood, and my parents go even further back with Brady, Wilt, the Dr etc... Basketball has always done well, and will contiue to do well, MJ just was gravy. Heck I still have my Bird Olympic jersey..

Pele couldn't help soccer

mia ham couldn't help soccer

womens team couldn't help soccer

World cup did nothig

etc...

mia ham was only famous since she took her top off not for her skills.

soccer on xbox is pretty cool, i'm juventis (sp) when i play:D

:laugh: Saleen its not really a big deal if us ever supports soccer. Outside of here its the biggest sport in the world. My personal fav to watch and follow is football, but when it comes time for world cup u watch every game u can. It's pretty damn addictive and in countries in south and central america, u got the whole place watching the games.

Originally posted by saleen351

I played traveling soccer for well over 10 years... Football i played for 5 years.. I understand soccer, so does america, we simply don't care and bowling has 10 times the ratings of soccer in the us...

Adu got 15 mins of press when he signed the deal, and you have to look at why they signed him. Years ago, Phil Mcknight signed so many players that they were loosing money, now only a hand full are indorsed by Nike. You lack of history cracks me up, long before MJ came on the scene, it was Bird vs Magic for my childhood, and my parents go even further back with Brady, Wilt, the Dr etc... Basketball has always done well, and will contiue to do well, MJ just was gravy. Heck I still have my Bird Olympic jersey..

Pele couldn't help soccer

mia ham couldn't help soccer

womens team couldn't help soccer

World cup did nothig

etc...

mia ham was only famous since she took her top off not for her skills.

soccer on xbox is pretty cool, i'm juventis (sp) when i play:D

Pele = Brazilian

Mia = 1% of soccer world audience

Womens tem = same as above

WC = no title challenge for the US

etc = ADU :idea:

Btw ... MJ took basketball to another level of audience. Should I reserach it? Forbes had a great article about it around 5 years ago ... maybe more.

Funny part is ... I never played soccer on xbox or any other. I go to the beach or park to play it. :D