Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Richie Hawtin And Ricardo Viliabos Are Not Real Dj"s

Originally posted by iamsamurai

of course they real, I seen Richie drop it down. Is cool how he uses all kinds of shit, Laptop, cd, turntable and some other wierd shit.

exactly hes is one of the worlds best tech dj's cause he has embraced new technoglogy and he can spin his ass off

Look, I agree with what you are saying rollindeep, but on the other hand I understand and know first hand the kind of frustration ianjohn is talking about.

When you have spent years and mad dollars (try an average of $200/week, for 10 or more years = $100,000 plus) to aquire great music on vinyl, practiced your ass off to get your mixing and phrasing correct, developed a style or set of music that has a coherent theme and put your dues in by banging on every club door you can think of to try and get a break it is more frustrating than you can know when you are not getting gigs.

Then along comes DJ newbie, who downloads his shit for free. Compiles it all on some MP3's. Puts together his mix CD of all KTU hits on his radio shack computer, hands it to some promoter who thinks only in terms of commercial, recognized music and the next thing you know DJ newbie is playing the main floor of some big NYC club.

DJ's should be able to use all the tools of the trade, (turntables, vinyl, CD,s, reel to reel (Like Morales used to at the Red Zone), MP3,s) but there is something to be said for first learning the basics on turntables and vinyl. You need to walk before you can run.

Just some food for thought.

First i dont spin commericial house....I spin Electro, Breaks, Minimal, Tech House and a dash of prggy shit.....See the thing is I cannot afford to spin vinyl it is just to fucking expensive....especially when your from jersey and you hafta to pay the highest rates for everything ( car insurance, rent, schooll)

so what i wanna do is spin on with laptop and my cdj's until i get a break and i can afford to start building a respectable vinyl collection.....no sense in trying to spin vinyl half assed you know..?

Originally posted by laraver

Look, I agree with what you are saying rollindeep, but on the other hand I understand and know first hand the kind of frustration ianjohn is talking about.

When you have spent years and mad dollars (try an average of $200/week, for 10 or more years = $100,000 plus) to aquire great music on vinyl, practiced your ass off to get your mixing and phrasing correct, developed a style or set of music that has a coherent theme and put your dues in by banging on every club door you can think of to try and get a break it is more frustrating than you can know when you are not getting gigs.

Then along comes DJ newbie, who downloads his shit for free. Compiles it all on some MP3's. Puts together his mix CD of all KTU hits on his radio shack computer, hands it to some promoter who thinks only in terms of commercial, recognized music and the next thing you know DJ newbie is playing the main floor of some big NYC club.

DJ's should be able to use all the tools of the trade, (turntables, vinyl, CD,s, reel to reel (Like Morales used to at the Red Zone), MP3,s) but there is something to be said for first learning the basics on turntables and vinyl. You need to walk before you can run.

Just some food for thought.

I don't care what you guys say.

DJing is NOT a right, it is a privilege.

If you know how to get the crowds going they will ask for you and then the clubs will want to book you.

If you spin stuff just to satisfy your ego then stay home and play with your vinyls all you want.

Ultimately it is the public that deems a DJ a success or a failure.

DJ is an entertainer - just as any other solo artist or a band.

If there are people that like your music - it doesn't matter if you use turntables, mp3 players, saxophones or guitars – they will pay and come to listen to you.

Well Richie Hawtin uses a lot more than that, I believe he uses a lot of drum machines and such during his set which takes a lot of skill to be going in between all the equipment. You have to start somewhere though, I personally learned first with vinyl then moved to CD's and now venturing into samplers and looping machines and such but that's not the way you NEED to do it. Start off, practice your ass off and just build from wherever you want eventually you will want to branch off into all the different things that are available. I personally don't feel there is just one way to do it, and with all the new technology out there why not try new things