Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Crobar Space...Ritz??

amy131

someone else told me that.....

but its deff not, to be honest i probally know the history of the space the best, since i have worked for people who have done almost Everything they could to get it, i specificaly remember prior to Peter buying trade in both PALLADIUM< and USA, he Tried for about a year to get this building, and back then, 85, it was a unused building that has never housed a dance floor in its life ever!.....peter, did everything he could to get it, but never was able to, instead he put money into USA, and palladium, who knows, maybe if things were different, it could of been Limelight. > W28th st? LOL

oh, and remember the guys who wanted to re-open STUDIO 54, about 4 years ago? they failed to get the original 54 building, and almost bought the space the crobar got like 4 years ago, but the city said "No'

Originally posted by jaysea

oh, and remember the guys who wanted to re-open STUDIO 54, about 4 years ago? they failed to get the original 54 building

There actually was a studio 54 operating at the original location about 4 years ago.... but it was a very much scaled back lounge confined to the original VIP balcony of the Space. There is actually talk of reopening a full blown studio 54 in the original space as we speek....the show (cabaret) that occupies the original space will close on january 4th and the lease may be up for grabs....

thats very intresting, thank you for that info!

i do remember the lounge thing, i never went tho it was preaty hush hush, then they promoted it a little and then never heard of it again, Funny thing is, i have yet to step foot in that building, STUDIO was a few years before my days of going out,

ever been?

I was never at the original studio... i was at the 2nd opening ... towards the end late 85 early 86.....It was just average at that time.. there were far better places to be at that time... One of my favorite places in 87-88 that never ever gets mentioned anywhere was a place called "the World" ....it was a converted theatre on e2nd btn c & d ... It was actually the first place I ever saw an E pill.... some of the greatest hip hop acts in history performed on that stage thursdays...and some of the craziest deepest house parties happened there on saturdays....The sound system was intense ... the only place that i'd heard any better was the legendary "paradise garage"....

My fondest memories were the beastie boys performing with public enemy as the opening act in the blizzard that happened new years eve 1988....and the First time I ever saw a DMC DJ battle there... won by DJ Cash Money from philly, the first guy ever to do the transformer scratch, he actually taught Jazzy Jeff the technique and Jeff became famous for it....

Back then your worries weren't about getting through the door.... you were more concerned about not getting stabbbed once you were in....and waking up the next day...

I guess in that respect.... clubs have come a loooong way....

But I'll tell you what.....drug dealing inside the club was almost unheard of back then.... people would bring in weed once in a while... and there were a few people that knew what E was back then...but you would never see a bunch of zombies on a dancefloor.... nor would you even care who was in the booth as long as the music was good..... There was no bottle service and the only guestlist you could be on was the Dj's or the owner's....

omg!!

i use to love the world! i first went there around the same time and i even ran a party there in 88, for 6 months> Sat night's. me, Alig, and Donna Tellme, Ran "WetRag" There, it was my first stab at being a ny star!, haha.....it later moved to the basment in tunnel...

but the world was the shit! and no one here' knows of it, if they do it's from me speaking of it,

Actually there are other old school heads on here, they might chirp in ,if they catch this....

i might have to walk past that area today, i wonder whats there. its not the same building as it once was, correct?

oly<

omg!!

i use to love the world! i first went there around the same time and i even ran a party there in 88, for 6 months> Sat night's. me, Alig, and Donna Tellme, Ran "WetRag" There, it was my first stab at being a ny star!, haha.....it later moved to the basment in tunnel...

but the world was the shit! and no one here' knows of it, if they do it's from me speaking of it,

Actually there are other old school heads on here, they might chirp in ,if they catch this....

i might have to walk past that area today, i wonder whats there. its not the same building as it once was, correct?

oly<

omg!!

oly<

Originally posted by jaysea

omg!!

oly<

Its some kind of church now... they knocked the original building down.... The gas station is still there tho

Alot of things happened at that space... raves ... parties... photo shoots... props were stored there for shows... etc

Crobar would have happened there even sooner if Peter Gatien wasn't looking to have something to do with it originally... CB4 gave the Crobar People major headaches... even made them agree to sign a statement that Peter Gatien has absolutely nothing to do with crobar and that they will never employ him or any of his associates directly or as consultants...