Clubplanet Nightlife Community

A Century of Flight

funketeer

That flight lasted about 12 seconds and could have taken place inside the fuselage of a Boeing 747-200 (231 ft long). Do yourselves a favor, drive by MIA on perimeter road and watch some airliners take off and land in honor of today's celebration. Trust me, you will be in awe at what man has accomplished in 100 years. I went through 4 1/2 years of studying it all and I still stare at the Virgin Atlantic A340 or AIr France's 747 lifting off 9R heading for Europe!!!

:D:hat: thank you.

I am with you Phillipio, it still amazes me every time I fly or go by an airport. To go from flying for 12 seconds and 120 feet to orbiting the moon and making Space travel seem ordinary, is a huge accomplishment. I am not an Aero Engineer now but I did study MAE my first 2 years of college but found the people I was working with to dull to deal with every day. My goal was to be able to design roller coasters and use all of the lessons learned in Aerospace engineering to make some mind-blowing roller coasters. Then I saw how the market was evolving with the government contracts with the defense dept and most of the Roller Coaster manufacturers are not even US based anymore and mostly in Germany and Switzerland (the big boys). Well I kinda went off on a tangent but still...

Just imagine what flight will be like in another 100 years!

:eek:

Also I just saw this.

Re-Enactment of Wright Bros. Flight Fails

Dec 17, 12:43 PM (ET)

Larry Park sprays the wings of the 1903 Wright Flyer with distilled water to tighten the canvas Wednesday, Dec. 17, 2003, in Kill Devil Hills, N.C., during the First Flight Centennial.(AP Photo/Grant Halverson)

FIRST_FLIGHT.sff_NCBJ109_20031217115917.jpg

KILL DEVIL HILLS, N.C. (AP) - One-hundred years after the Wright brothers' first flight, an attempt to re-create the moment failed Wednesday when a replica craft couldn't get off the ground and sputtered into the mud.

The muslin-winged flyer dropped off the end of a wooden track and stopped dead in a muddy puddle. Pilot Kevin Kochersberger dropped his head in apparent chagrin and later laughed as the plane was hoisted back on the track.

The attempt had already been delayed by about three hours after a heavy downpour.

It was not immediately clear if the team would give the launch another try. Organizers took the plane back inside a tent pavilion for an inspection to see if they can make another try.

The re-enactment was originally scheduled for 10:35 a.m., exactly 100 years after the brothers from Dayton, Ohio, made their first tentative hops through the air with a delicate contraption fashioned in their bicycle shop.

President Bush was on hand earlier Wednesday and remarked on the inclement conditions for the re-enactment.

"On the day they did fly, just like today, the conditions were not ideal," Bush told a crowd of about 30,000 at the Wright Brothers National Memorial.

"The Wright brothers hit some disappointments along the way. There must have been times when they had to fight their own doubts," he said.

"They pressed on, believing in the great work they had begun and in their own capacity to see it though. We would not know their names today if these men had been pessimists."

phillipio:

I wish I would have studied it !! it is an amazing invention solely of our era ! really like the commercial & military but I aggree with ya the A340 is an amazing plane. The 747-400 is a beautiful plane but I can't wait to see the A380 landing at MIA. The Boeing 777 is an impressive piuece of machinery !. still I beleive the best track record for safety and for what I understand a very stable plane due to the weight proportions is the 767

The Boeing 767's did have their share of problems in the beginning too. The ones that were powered by Pratt & Whitney turbofans were experiencing uncommanded reverse thrust actuations. One of these incidents occurred in mid-air on a Lauda Air 767 from Bangkok to Vienna. One engine inadvertently kicked into reverse thrust and the aircraft's vertical stabilizer (the tail) ripped off as a result of the aircraft yawing in the direction of the reversed engine. When this happens, the aircraft loses complete directional control and without the availability of the rudder (control surface on the vertical stabilizer), almost always results in a crash.

I believe a similar incident occurred to a TWA 767-200 landing at Rome's Fiumicino airport. Only one reverse thrust cowling actuated and the plane veered off the runway at very high speed.

I think the 757-200 is considered a safer aircraft.

:D:hat:

Yes the 727-200 was truly a success that was only superceeded in sales by Boeing's 737 series. Considering that Boeing built over 1,800 727's, it had a great safety record. I missed the long range part of your post. You are right, although the A330 is a pretty safe aircraft as well though there aren't as many flying.

plus I like the look of A330, I think only swiss int'l airlines & TAM (& LTU I think) operating into mia. Still can't wait to ride in a A380, 737 series has been a great suucces with the mid-range 500 & up series. Also would like ride in a ilyushin but very scarce these days, even though new models coming out

Yes the IL-76 is a beautiful aircraft. The brits claim it was a copy of the Vickers VC-10. But it has Kuznetsov powerplants in double pods on each side of the rear fuselage whereas the VC-10- I believe uses the muchj more efficient RR Avon or Tay turbojets again in double pods in the rear. But my favorite soviet airliner is the Tupolev 134A which looks similar to a DC-9. I flew in one when I was really young from Athens to Dudapest and then on to London. It was, of course, on Malev.

:D:hat: thank you.

looks nicehttp://www.airbus.com/product/a380_backgrounder.asp

what da ya think funk???

The A380 Family starts from a baseline passenger aircraft with a capacity of 555 passengers in three classes over a range of up to 8,000nm/14,800km. Larger and longer range members of the family are anticipated in the basic design concept.

While offering all the advantages of a completely new design, the A380 will extend the unique benefits of Airbus family commonality into the very large aircraft sector. Thanks to the same cockpit layout, procedures and handling characteristics through fly-by-wire, pilots will be able to transition to the A380 from other Airbus aircraft with only minor additional training.

The A380 can be powered by Trent 900 engines from Rolls-Royce or GP7200 engines from The Engine Alliance (a joint venture between General Electric and Pratt & Whitney).

Yes, the Trents I believe will have a higher static thrust rating and better hot and high takeoff performance but as a result, they will also have higher HP turbine pressure temperatures so time between overhauls will be shorter than the GP7200. And P&W and GE are working on some modifications to the engine core's converging-diverging nozzle to reduce engine noise. Should be interesting to see which engine is ordered in greater numbers. P&W definitely can use a boost in sales after the disaster with the PW6000 series on the A318. MTU had to redesign the whole compressor.

Originally posted by absolutv

looks nicehttp://www.airbus.com/product/a380_backgrounder.asp

what da ya think funk???

The A380 Family starts from a baseline passenger aircraft with a capacity of 555 passengers in three classes over a range of up to 8,000nm/14,800km. Larger and longer range members of the family are anticipated in the basic design concept.

While offering all the advantages of a completely new design, the A380 will extend the unique benefits of Airbus family commonality into the very large aircraft sector. Thanks to the same cockpit layout, procedures and handling characteristics through fly-by-wire, pilots will be able to transition to the A380 from other Airbus aircraft with only minor additional training.

The A380 can be powered by Trent 900 engines from Rolls-Royce or GP7200 engines from The Engine Alliance (a joint venture between General Electric and Pratt & Whitney).

daoooooommmmmm, I think it's dope! :smoke:

Originally posted by funketeer

aircraft7b.jpg

The first tripulated flight was made by Wilbur and Orville Wright on December 17, 1903, at 10:35 a.m.

the full story

The Learning Funk Channel

:cool:

I saw the show lastnight ...... it's amazing that its only been 100 years since man first lifted off the ground in flight. Now we look at airplans like cars.. don't put too much thought in to them.