Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What was the turntable of choice...

philippio

Umm, there really was no deck of choice...DJing as it is today was in a real embryonic stage before the 1200s. If there was a deck of choice, it was the SL-1100 or the SP-10...

sl-1100.GIF

The 1200 has withstood the test of time, even later Technics decks weren't up to snuff..

Originally posted by deepfunk

Technics had an earlier model that DJs liked, I've heard of it but I don't know details. I think it had a knob-style pitch control or something...

I had a pair of 1300's back in 1990 that had the knob-style pitch control they where great to learn with.

The Turntable of choice before the Technic's 1200 as WE know it was the Technics 1200...Hear me out...

The 1200 came out in 1972, however the Technics 1200 MK2 was introduced in 1978 and remained on the market until 1998.

Before the 1200's a broadcast version was used broadley: The DC2 from Technics as well.

SS

For sure. The 1200 was the first to use direct-drive technology...earlier belt-drive decks were too delicate to be used for the purpose of real DJing...John Luongo developed slip-cueing for that reason, and the concept still survives today obviously...

Belt-drive decks such as the Linn still are produced today, but are for true audiophile applications, i.e. strict playback. David Mancuso used Linn decks at his Loft parties, since he did not DJ in the sense we think, he merely played records, although in a sequence that was quite magical.

the original 1200 from 1972

bigsl1200.jpg

"The SL-1200 was introduced in 1972 as an evolution to the popular SL-1100. It represented a culmination of all Technics innovations to the world of Hi-Fi. It was dubbed as "The Middle Class Player System". It was delivered in 2 different versions: The SL-1200 came complete with a tonearm section. The SL-120 came without a tonearm section. A SMEâ„¢ tonearm was the usual chioce for the audiophile. "

from http://www.turntabletech.com

Originally posted by philippio

A guy I used to work with has this table. He's not a dj. It's really expensive, in the $1000's!

:D:hat:

it's only $1995, seems cheap compared to this one, it's $25,000!

media.nl?id=2764&c=ACCT106601&h=c93d16f18f4675ce377d

SME Model 30

The ultimate turntable. The Model 30 is compact and incredibly dense, weighing in at 90 lbs. The Model 30 employs an ingenious suspension system, using a combination of elastomers and silicone to achieve an almost zero Q suspension. The main bearing which supports the over 15 lb. platter has such tight tolerances it requires a diluted watch oil to be properly lubricated! The SME platter mat has a unique combination of high shear stiffness and effective vertical damping to eliminate the energy feedback from the platter back into the record. The mechanically decoupled brushless three-phase motor eliminates cogging to ensure precise speed control, and also provides high torque to pull through the highest of dynamic passages with breeze. The combination of compact high mass, non-resonant materials, and speed stability in the motor/bearing assembly, provides a playback system that will astonish you with shear dynamics, clarity, and noise free background. All SME arms are compatible. Blank arm boards are available for other tonearms. The outboard power supply has 33, 45, and 78 speeds. 17.75"w x 6.5"h x 13.75"d. 90 lbs.

the ELP deck costs around $14 grand.

lt4.jpg

It reads the grooves with a laser. Due to the tray mechanism and the method of which the laser reads the vinyl, DJing is not possible on this unit, and is only suited for playback.

It uses the reflective properties of laser emission to read an analog medium??? Is there an analog-->digital converter in there somewhere? Also, if the vinyl is resting on the tray, what measures are taken to prevent scratching the underside of the record? Can it play 7" and 10"???

:D:hat:

It's a straight analog feed. Drives up the cost obviously to get a decent signal path without a digital conversion. It leaves the digital conversion as up to the user...

The main application of the ELP is for archival purposes, and to preserve existing vinyl from needle damage...the archival purpose comes in where they record the vinyl via this deck to a more durable medium, usually optical, at an insanely high sampling rate...

But it has a method of not scratching the disc for sure.