Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Attn Miami promoters

soulprojector

Hi my name is greg. I'm a producer / dj from San Diego. I will be stopping in Miami from March 6th - 17th as part of a cross country trip I'm taking, as well as hitting the WMC. I know this is a long shot but, I was checking around to see if I could perhaps get in on a night someplace to play some records. An opening slot would be fine, I don't need to be payed, just an opportunity to play someplace else besides this tired ass city of San Diego, who has no love for tribal, or progressive house. Or local djs for that matter. I know you might be thinking "here is some young newbee dj looking for a chance to play". Actually I've been playing records now for almost 7 years, and producing tracks for 2. I'm not getting any younger but, I still love djing. My sound when djing is someplace between Danny Howells and Dave Seaman. I don't have a dj mix on line anyplace right now but, you can hear some of my original work, and see a bio at www.sounclick.com/soulprojector

Well thank you for your time

never hurts to try,

greg

Sorry to burst your bubble but Miami's scene is already innundated with progressive house dj's. Then all the big, stale, over-inflated egoes come to town for WMC and we're all putting on our life jackets out of fear that south FL will sink!!! I'm actually surprised that you refer to San Diego as a "tired-ass city." Are you referring to its scene?

:D:hat:

Originally posted by mdamon7278

Ut oh, i smell a fight coming on, hey fock it, the more the merrier!!!

Damon 2.0

mdamon, I'm not trying to instigate a fight. I'm just trying to explain to soulprojector that it may be a bit difficult to get an opening gig somewhere during WMC just because so many dj's are keen on spinning prog house. On the other hand, since there are also many well known dj's who play this subgenre of house, an opening set with similar taste might be some promoter's "cup of tea."

:D:hat:

No I totally hear ya about the whole prog house thing. It just so happens to be one of the styles I play.

As far as San Diegos "tired ass" ? I do refer to the club scene. By all means this is a beautifull city, and there's alot of cool shit to do here but, when it comes to club music and clubbing in general, these people are seemingly very uneducated when it comes to dance music. It's more apparent to me as a dj who has played for crowds in places where people know their music, and know when a dj is working the crowd right, or if he is fucking the vibe up. It seems to me that, here in the 2 big clubs that anyone goes to. People will just dance to anything that has a beat. Even if the dj train wrecks his or her way through a set. Ironically enough. many of the really good dj's who have been doing it for many years, don't ever get a chance to play at these bigger venues. And yes that includes me.

See here is what it breaks down to. Myself and and a few other local dj's who I respect, come from the once thriving "RAVE" scene here in SD and LA. Now that "RAVES" are a thing of the past, and everything is 21 + here, we got passed by when the scene jumped to an older crowd. So we sort of got hit with a stigma of being "RAVE" djs, and all these new club promoters didnt even know about us cause this "club phenominon" seemed to happen almost over night. So what had to happen is all these "new" promoters and clubs had to fill the line up every night, so they got their friends and themselves playing at these "hot new venues". So as you can guess. most of these guys had not had the experience playing for crowds that really felt and understood the music and what the dj could do for a crowd. It is more of an "insto dj" or "overnight I'm a world class dj" thing. Hence why the crowds are "uneducated".

I don't know. from what I hear and read. It seems that club goers on the East Coast are in fact very knowledgeable when it comes to the dj's and the different genres of dance music. I mean NY and Miamis clubs and underground parties are legendary.

They must be something if I know about em all the way over here 3000+ miles away !

Thats part of why I'm going to visit those two cities in March.

cheers'

greg