Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Is anyone following this Mars Mission ?

nexusgroove

Latest News Regarding "Spirit"

PASADENA, Calif. -- Scientists are puzzled about a patch of soil near the Mars rover Spirit lander that they now call "Magic Carpet". The intrigue has been stirred up by how soil behaved when the lander’s airbags scraped across the martian soil. That soil appears to have been peeled away.

This odd performance of the soil, some speculate, could provide a window into the existence of subsurface water and, maybe, clues about whether Mars could sustain life.

A portion of Spirit's first image from Mars has been further processed to highlight a trail left by its airbag, created upon landing. Scientists dubbed the feature the "Magic Carpet." The airbag dragged rocks, too.

A 3-D model of the airbag trail reveals more detail. The triangular rock in the upper left is about 8 inches (20 cm) tall. The dark "trough" is about a half-inch (1 cm) deep at most.

There’s one thing for sure. Whatever the lander’s airbags have caused, the result is a "spirited" debate.

FULL STORY HERE

Originally posted by chaflas

I wanted to be a part of the Mars crew that went to space, but they told me I had to first join N*Sync. :(

Hey, don't feel bad bro, at least you didn't have to learn all those choreographies...I was actually the one who came up with the idea to go to Mars...I was a NASA party and naive that I am...I said "Hey, wouldn't it be cool to go to Mars?"...they all laughed and say "No way, that's impossible"...next thing I know...boom...they go to Mars and I don't even get credit...what? People man, I tell ya...always tutting someone else's horn...

:blank: