Clubplanet Nightlife Community

TONIGHT JAN 24TH Its On Again.....

adrienne seriously with all the awesome music out there.. underground, progressive, house, and euro.. ktu better shape up or ship out.. they are playing the same stupid shit every 10 minutes. tell them to get off their lazy asses and play some music. not just at 4am on fri or sat.

that or someone should persuade a radio station other than ktu to play real dance music. freestyle is dead, zombie nation is dead. please stop with the milkshake. (wsia staten island has been playing some good techno on certain nights)

if u have any pull.. or lil cee, showboat.. any of them.. give the people what they really want.. a phat beat.. not the same shit. blow their minds.:blown:

well honestly i have no pull in that department as far as what the station plays, that is all up to the PD and the A&R type heads. Our ratings right now are better than they have ever been tho so something is going right. the station dedicates the night time to playing house music and dance mixes. i assume that is because most of the people listening at those hours at night ARE the ones who want to hear the harder music....during the day yeah the station plays freestyle, top 40, classics etc. b/c they are catering to the demographic who listens at that time. from 6pm on they play more geared toward a younger demographic.

anyhow, if you listen from 9-10 m-f you'll hear a great hour of music mixed with alot of the stuff you hear out at clubs right now...and on teh weekends after 10 also. i mean you cant please everyone all the time, but i think ktu does play some good music to cater to what you are looking for, u just have to find it at the right time.

i dont know, im not an expert or the spokes rep for ktu, but i guess maybe lil cee or riddler, or one of the other people who post on here form the station would be able to add more input.

I can easily expalin very very simple. I personally love tribal trance.. But i get booked to do commercial sets... Why anybody who loves underground or tribal comes to hear me play i still have no clue.. I play vocals, but my next guest spot is Feb 1st @ joeys Sunday and i will be playing shit that I like. ALL TRIBAL!!!

Anyway in our area we have 15 million listeners..

maybe 1 million go to clubs and like the stuff like tribal progressive and just the more serious nightclub sound. Plus please keep in mind while fucked up or intoxicated beats and weird noises sound better. anyway if we made only 1 million people happy 14 million people would listen to something else..

You think i like playing the stuff i do.. Let's be serious..... All u clubheads and party people i like the same stuff u do but we are not the majority. The average joe smoe, female mom or female just chillen in redbank or longisland or the spanish lady in her house in queens those are our listeners..

target audience ktu goes for is females 25-54

I love working at KTU great bunch of staff great dj's... U have to just understand that we are a major market radio station and need to keep the majority of listeners happy. Anybody who really know radio understands. Comments are welcome but let's be adults and stupid comments i will not respond to thanx

Originally posted by djlilcee

I The average joe smoe, female mom or female just chillen in redbank or longisland or the spanish lady in her house in queens those are our listeners..

target audience ktu goes for is females 25-54

I love working at KTU great bunch of staff great dj's... U have to just understand that we are a major market radio station and need to keep the majority of listeners happy. Anybody who really know radio understands. Comments are welcome but let's be adults and stupid comments i will not respond to thanx

Thats not exactly the target audience that makes a radio station profitable with Advertisers. Males typicly spend more money since they earn more. You can target any audience by playing the right music. KTU simply attracts that demographic because of the music that's played.

Originally posted by bumpdaddy

Thats not exactly the target audience that makes a radio station profitable with Advertisers. Males typicly spend more money since they earn more. You can target any audience by playing the right music. KTU simply attracts that demographic because of the music that's played.

First off, if Males are the target audience that advertisers want, then KROCK should be the #1 station in New York since it is a male driven station. Guess what? It's not. Secondly, you can not make an inference that males spend more than women because they earn more because the research shows that women are the ones that do most of the purchasing in a household. This is the reason why Radio, TV, and Movies always goes after the coveted 18-34 female target demo. Thirdly, KTU bills very well and we are a very profitable station. If we weren't profitable, KTU would have been long gone especially with the way Clearchannel is.

As far as KTU, as Lil Cee stated the target audience is 25-54 females which we are #1. In the last rating book we even beat our sister stations Z100 and Power 105 in our demos and with 18-34 females.

As far as why you hear the same songs over and over. The AVERAGE listener only listens to radio 45 minutes a day - usually to and from work. So ALL RADIO STATIONS wants to make sure you are hearing the biggest testing records during that time frame that listeners are actually listening. For your information, stations like Hot97, Z100, Power 105, actually play their biggest testing records like 80 times a week. KTU's highest rotation records are in the 40s-50s max and even then, they are dayparted/nightparted - meaning only some songs get played during the day or night.

As far as the mixshows, the KTU HOUSEPARTY at 9pm is #1 in our demos. Since my show only airs 30-35 minutes a day, I have to make sure to play our biggest testing records along with some current and new records. I also select ONE RECORD from back in the day which we call the REWIND track of the day (During the summer it was called the OFFICIAL GUIDO FIST PUMP SONG). The REWIND track is usually something from 1996-2000. This feature does great for the station. Every night I try to play at least one NEW unfamiliar track during the show. I'veNow while it may not be new to the cool hip people that download tracks on a daily basis, to the average listener it still sounds new.

The friday and saturday night mixshows on KTU is the most diverse and highly rated mixshow in the nation. We have so many talented DJs that appear every weekend both locally, nationally, and Internationally.

For those that are more progressive than most, you do have other options and a choice. However, I am very proud to be a part of KTU. Be lucky that NEW YORK has a station like KTU because you can be in a city like Los Angeles that has NO DANCE STATION WHATSOEVER.

Riddler

Be sure to vote for KTU for best radio station and Best Radio DJ

www.dancestar.com

:)

Well... to even bring up k-rock is retarded... It's true most people only listen to the radio brefily during the day... withj one major exception, Morning drive..... that's where 70% of radio advertising dollars go and we both know that K-rock is getting the lion's share of those dollars....8-10pm media buyers concentrate on prime time television... It's also true that women do most of the day to day shopping in a household, however women don't generally purchase big ticket items as frequently as men do (Cars, consumer electronics...etc.). I'm sure the station makes money or there would have been a format change by now... I'm not knocking you guys and I'll admit I sometimes listen on a friday or saturday night and I've heard some decent shows... but I also think back to the original KTU (92.3) way back when and remember that they played a much better mix of underground and commercial music. It would be nice to see you guys actually break some new music instead of waitng for receords to "test well"....

Well... to even bring up k-rock is retarded... It's true most people only listen to the radio brefily during the day... withj one major exception, Morning drive..... that's where 70% of radio advertising dollars go and we both know that K-rock is getting the lion's share of those dollars....8-10pm media buyers concentrate on prime time television... It's also true that women do most of the day to day shopping in a household, however women don't generally purchase big ticket items as frequently as men do (Cars, consumer electronics...etc.). I'm sure the station makes money or there would have been a format change by now... I'm not knocking you guys and I'll admit I sometimes listen on a friday or saturday night and I've heard some decent shows... but I also think back to the original KTU (92.3) way back when and remember that they played a much better mix of underground and commercial music. It would be nice to see you guys actually break some new music instead of waitng for receords to "test well"....

As far as your research on male and female buying and spending, you should really take an economics and marketing class because we are in the 21st Century where there are MORE women with expendable income. This isn't the 50s and 60s where the women just bought the groceries and clothes.

Back in the old KTU days there was much more of a wide acceptance of dance music period. Also there was no corporate conglomerates dictating what can and can't be played on the radio. Back then, programmers went on gut instincts and not necessarily rely on research. But hey, even MTV does it too now. Unfortunately that is the name of the game today. However, KTU does take chances on records much more quickly than many stations around the country. While it may not be as progressive as you would like, it's better than nothing. Like I said, try living in Los Angeles where you are forced to hearing Widelife and Ingrid "Promise me" 50 times a week on KIIS. They have NO dance station at all.

Originally posted by riddlerktu

First off, if Males are the target audience that advertisers want, then KROCK should be the #1 station in New York since it is a male driven station. Guess what? It's not. Secondly, you can not make an inference that males spend more than women because they earn more because the research shows that women are the ones that do most of the purchasing in a household. This is the reason why Radio, TV, and Movies always goes after the coveted 18-34 female target demo. Thirdly, KTU bills very well and we are a very profitable station. If we weren't profitable, KTU would have been long gone especially with the way Clearchannel is.

As far as KTU, as Lil Cee stated the target audience is 25-54 females which we are #1. In the last rating book we even beat our sister stations Z100 and Power 105 in our demos and with 18-34 females.

As far as why you hear the same songs over and over. The AVERAGE listener only listens to radio 45 minutes a day - usually to and from work. So ALL RADIO STATIONS wants to make sure you are hearing the biggest testing records during that time frame that listeners are actually listening. For your information, stations like Hot97, Z100, Power 105, actually play their biggest testing records like 80 times a week. KTU's highest rotation records are in the 40s-50s max and even then, they are dayparted/nightparted - meaning only some songs get played during the day or night.

As far as the mixshows, the KTU HOUSEPARTY at 9pm is #1 in our demos. Since my show only airs 30-35 minutes a day, I have to make sure to play our biggest testing records along with some current and new records. I also select ONE RECORD from back in the day which we call the REWIND track of the day (During the summer it was called the OFFICIAL GUIDO FIST PUMP SONG). The REWIND track is usually something from 1996-2000. This feature does great for the station. Every night I try to play at least one NEW unfamiliar track during the show. I'veNow while it may not be new to the cool hip people that download tracks on a daily basis, to the average listener it still sounds new.

The friday and saturday night mixshows on KTU is the most diverse and highly rated mixshow in the nation. We have so many talented DJs that appear every weekend both locally, nationally, and Internationally.

For those that are more progressive than most, you do have other options and a choice. However, I am very proud to be a part of KTU. Be lucky that NEW YORK has a station like KTU because you can be in a city like Los Angeles that has NO DANCE STATION WHATSOEVER.

Riddler

Be sure to vote for KTU for best radio station and Best Radio DJ

www.dancestar.com

:)

That's whats up! Very well put.

As far as your research on male and female buying and spending, you should really take an economics and marketing class because we are in the 21st Century where there are MORE women with expendable income. This isn't the 50s and 60s where the women just bought the groceries and clothes.

Back in the old KTU days there was much more of a wide acceptance of dance music period. Also there was no corporate conglomerates dictating what can and can't be played on the radio. Back then, programmers went on gut instincts and not necessarily rely on research. But hey, even MTV does it too now. Unfortunately that is the name of the game today. However, KTU does take chances on records much more quickly than many stations around the country. While it may not be as progressive as you would like, it's better than nothing. Like I said, try living in Los Angeles where you are forced to hearing Widelife and Ingrid "Promise me" 50 times a week on KIIS. They have NO dance station at all.

Why do you just assume.... that I haven't lived in Los Angeles... and that I haven't taken any marketing/economics courses??? I have done both... in fact I took my marketing/economics courses at USC..... Don't be so quick to judge.... I've been around the block waaay longer than you have...

While there are MORE women with disposable income today.... they are still the exception rather than the rule...

Why do you just assume.... that I haven't lived in Los Angeles... and that I haven't taken any marketing/economics courses??? I have done both... in fact I took my marketing/economics courses at USC..... Don't be so quick to judge.... I've been around the block waaay longer than you have...

While there are MORE women with disposable income today.... they are still the exception rather than the rule...

Sorry to assume, but I've been around the block too and have lived in Los Angeles (my family all lives there). I've been in radio since 1987 working at some of the biggest Top 40/Rhythmic stations in the country and have worked for Capitol Records, MCA Records, Tommyboy, etc. I have been in the game a long time as well my friend. I'm sorry to have offended you but the debate of whether males spend more than females can be at times very subjective. In the end, KTU and many Top 40 radio stations covet the 18-34 Female demographic because that is what THEIR advertisers want.

Sorry to assume, but I've been around the block too and have lived in Los Angeles (my family all lives there). I've been in radio since 1987 working at some of the biggest Top 40/Rhythmic stations in the country and have worked for Capitol Records, MCA Records, Tommyboy, etc. I have been in the game a long time as well my friend. I'm sorry to have offended you but the debate of whether males spend more than females can be at times very subjective. In the end, KTU and many Top 40 radio stations covet the 18-34 Female demographic because that is what THEIR advertisers want.

that makes more sense... Women are also generally more impulsive shoppers than men .