Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Ken Ishi @ Lime!?

eKiTeL

Originally posted by eKiTeL

Feb. 20... amazing dj/producer, not the best venue... :confused:

from what I've heard this guy is mostly about melodic techno, trance heads that are ready for something better should check this out...

i beleive he was down here for wmc about 3 or 4 years ago

Originally posted by eKiTeL

Feb. 20... amazing dj/producer, not the best venue... :confused:

from what I've heard this guy is mostly about melodic techno, trance heads that are ready for something better should check this out...

damn, will be in San Fran that week :mad:

Originally posted by marick

last i heard ken ishi was anything but melodic...

he usually plays trippy, robotic harder edged techno with some electro sounds thrown in here and there.

trippy, melodic, same thing, as in it has all of these synth notes being played, as opposed to a lot of techno that's more just about complex rhythms, with not as many musical notes, just beats... see what I'm sayin'

night of the jaguar is a perfect example of very melodic techno, and many of the Ken Ishi tracks I've heard, like off of his album Awakening, are in this vein, though definitely more trippy and robotic as you say, but also very melodic, so maybe that wasn't the best one word adjective to describe his overall style, however it does apply :)

anyway I'm listening to the only Ken Ishi record I have, the title cut from his album Awakening, and you know what, it is extremely melodic, and I know he has other tracks that are similar, I'm sure not all of them are quite so melodic, but yeah melodic is a good word, among others, to describe his style

i don't consitter 'knights of the jaguar' melodic (well, maybe a little bit melodic) although with that comparison i see what you were trying to say. but melodic to me (as far as techno goes anyway) would be some of derrick mays 'innovator' stuff or jaun atkins 'infinity' stuff. even some of F.U.S.E.'s 'dimension intrusion' stuff in melodic.

just remember...production style & DJing style are 2 completely diffrent things. just because someone produces more melodic tracks doesn't by any means mean they spin melodic tracks when DJing.

Originally posted by marick

i don't consitter 'knights of the jaguar' melodic (well, maybe a little bit melodic) although with that comparison i see what you were trying to say. but melodic to me (as far as techno goes anyway) would be some of derrick mays 'innovator' stuff or jaun atkins 'infinity' stuff. even some of F.U.S.E.'s 'dimension intrusion' stuff in melodic.

just remember...production style & DJing style are 2 completely diffrent things. just because someone produces more melodic tracks doesn't by any means mean they spin melodic tracks when DJing.

obviously! I don't know man but it seems like you're trying to "school" me here or something for some reason, do I really seem so clueless to you.... :confused:

the stuff you mention is also very melodic, in a somewhat diffent fashion, but actually rather similar, I think you are making an arbitrary distinction based on some criteria which is not directly related to the melodiousness of the material in question

no offense, just a friendly argument :) anyway the point was merely that what I know of Ken's work is relatively melodic, I've never heard any of his dj sets so I'm looking forward to this one, whether he decides to play melodicly or not...