Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Cross Burned at Black Man's Home in Wash.

Cross Burned at Black Man's Home in Wash.

ARLINGTON, Wash. (AP) - A cross was burned on the front lawn of a black minister in the middle of the night following threats to his son at school.

The 3-by-5-foot cross held together with duct tape was discovered about 2 a.m. Wednesday, Police Chief John L. Gray said. Firefighters doused the flames.

Besides canvassing the neighborhood and increasing patrols there, police sent pieces of the cross to a State Patrol crime laboratory for testing.

``We want to hold the offenders accountable and send them the direct message that this is intolerable,'' Gray said.

The Rev. Jason Martin, 38, pastor of a Pentecostal congregation in Marysville, said he moved into the neighborhood with his wife and six children 17 months ago. He said he wasn't afraid, but ``I'm very concerned for my children.''

Last year, he said, a student at Arlington High School threatened one of his sons by saying he would blow up the family's house, and last week someone deliberately drove a car over the lawn.

``I think it's because of race,'' he said. ``We're one of the only black families in this community.''

According to the 2000 census, slightly more than 1 percent of Arlington's 12,000 residents are black.

High school teachers met to discuss the cross burning Wednesday, and students signed a poster in support of the family.

Originally posted by normalnoises

I can picture all you clueless right wing shitbags celebrating this.

ur trash...i really hope u get a blood clot in a main artery...no one would celebrate this..what IS sick is u "hoping" someone would celebrate this...ur a closet racist...u make me sick...

Originally posted by mrmatas2277

ur trash...i really hope u get a blood clot in a main artery...no one would celebrate this..what IS sick is u "hoping" someone would celebrate this...ur a closet racist...u make me sick...

tell him how you really feel :eek:

Originally posted by mrmatas2277

:laugh: :laugh: