Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What to expect of Nightclub Career?

Guest mot

Guest mot

Basically I am a Beverage Management student at University of Nevada Las Vegas and I would like to know more about the working environment of nightclubs (hours, work, positions etc.). Currently I am working under an Executive Chef and a Bar Manager more or less like an apprentice. If all else fails I can always work for the people who are funding my education, MGM Mirage Corp. Thanks peeps! If any needs any more info I’ll check back later.

If I were you, I would set my eyes on the hotal and restaurant business...nightlcub executives, owners, however you want to call them are not always the most loyal characters you could possibly find. If you are one and read this and are an honest person, well, then this isn't about you.

I would focus on hotels and restaurants, because it's different to work during the day...the people you deal with are more predictable, the business is less shady, you do not have to deal with club personell, know also to be some of the most volatile and unpredictable manforce in the hospitality industry.

Also, if you were to go into the clubbing industry, be ready to deal with lots of people who do not have the preparation you do, that I think would generate a bit of frustration from your part, due to the fact that things might not be the way you studied them back in school...there's no such thing as the book on night-club business...it's basicly re-written every night with every party.

whatever you do, good luck!

i'm a hospitality management major and i don't think you need a 4 year degree to work at a night club... i managed a club at age of 22 with no degree, just 4 years of working as a bartender... i was later offered a gm position at a club in ft lauderdale, but had to turn it down because i got tired of sleeping 3 hours a day and constantly worrying about what retards that i'm responsible for will mess up next [very few clubs do background check on their staff before hiring]... plus night club business is as stable as situation in iraq... there are no guarantees, no such things as benefits [unless you count getting lots of ass as a benefit], and no such thing as set schedule [unless you like to bust your ass on weekends while others party]... the upside would be the fact that you get to work with different people, get to meet artists, make connections, blah blah... on the other hand i'd rather work at hilton as a food & beverage manager... less stress, more money, more benefits... just a thought...