Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Done!

pk1

Clear Channel Pulls Howard Stern Show Permanently

Company says latest FCC action imposes a risk ‘we’re just not willing to take’

San Antonio, TX (April 8, 2004) - In the wake of a large FCC fine for its broadcast of the Howard Stern

show, the company has decided to permanently terminate its relationship with the shock jock.

"Mr. Stern's show has created a great liability for us and other broadcasters who air it," said John Hogan,

president and CEO of Clear Channel Radio. "The Congress and the FCC are even beginning to look at

revoking station licenses. That's a risk we're just not willing to take," said Hogan.

In Februrary, Clear Channel suspended the show in the six markets that previously aired it. At that time,

the company asked for assurances from the show's syndicator that steps would be taken to bring the

program into compliance with FCC regulations.

Hogan said that no such assurances were ever given.

"We had hoped to return Mr. Stern's show to the air free from indecent content," Hogan said.

"Unfortunately, the FCC's latest action, combined with deafening silence from the Stern show on their

future plans to comply with the law, leave us no choice but to abandon the program for good."

Earlier this year, Clear Channel announced its "Responsible Broadcasting Initiative," which instituted a

zero tolerance policy for indecent content that includes training of broadcast station employees and strict

disciplinary action for anyone that violates federal law or FCC regulations on the air.

(Go to www.clearchannel.com for more info on zero tolerance policy, or click here:

http://www.clearchannel.com/Radio/PressReleases/2004/2004_02_25_CC_RBI.pdf)

Originally posted by bullseye

its just a matter of time unfortunately. my advice, buy stock in satellite radio.

then the fcc can go after those spanish stations that get away with murder. *personal message: sorry Lisbeth, if my fun has to end, so does urs.

its just a matter of time before the fcc tries to govern satellite radio...

Originally posted by fkornre

its just a matter of time before the fcc tries to govern satellite radio...

ida know, i cant see that. its sorta like cable tv, everyone usually has a tv, but not everyone has cable. same with radio, everyone usually has a radio, but not everyone has satellite radio.

ida know, i cant see that. its sorta like cable tv, everyone usually has a tv, but not everyone has cable. same with radio, everyone usually has a radio, but not everyone has satellite radio.

we will see but with the way this country is going i wouldnt be surprised if it happened...

all i know is opie and anthony better have their base of operations in nyc, and bring bak ron and fez, i miss those 2 homos to!!

i will be happy as long as i get to hear o&a...that is all i need...i want a station dedicated 24/7/365 to them :D