Clubplanet Nightlife Community

"Talkin' all that jazz..."

philippio

Jean Luc Ponty used to play with Frank Zappa on his later orchestral work...I saw him a few years ago at the James L. Knight Center with a full african ensemble...full with kalimbas, tablas and all kinds of african traditional percussive instruments, a vocal group and a dancing squad...a-m-a-z-i-n-g!

jean-luc-ponty.jpg

Jean Luc Ponty

lately I've been diggin some old 1930's swing, I'm talkin about some serious hard rockin' dance music at over 140 bpm! Coleman Hawkins and Lester Young representin' the Kansas City sound...

but I must repeat, when I say John Coltrane this is not some obscure personal perference, many people rank him above Mozart as the greatest musical dude that ever lived, if you want to get into real jazz (as opposed nu jazz or jazz fusion) then the best place to start is with the Trane!

I also like Guy Lafitte (Jazz in Paris). But I agree, lots of great jazz musicians have been mentioned in this thread.

A while ago I went to Demetrios cafe in the Gables and there was a jazz ensemble playing there in the late afternoon. A perfect accompaniment to an espresso or a macchiato! I don't know if they still do it. Any other places in Miami to hear good jazz?

;)