Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Dillon is a Patriot:

stymie

Rich Eisen: Right now, exclusively on NFL Total Access, we are joined by Corey Dillon. Thanks for joining us, Corey.

Corey Dillon: No problem. Thanks for having me.

Eisen: And you have got the gear already on -- New England Patriots gear. Did you have that sent to you from the Patriots or did you have to buy that?

Dillon: Oh no, they gave me a nice shirt and I am going to represent real early.

Eisen: Well, congratulations! When did you find out that it was a possibility that you would get traded to the New England Patriots of all teams?

Dillon: I spoke with my agent, Steve Feldman, on (April 16) and we sat down for a long period of time and just went over some things. He said there was a possibility we might have to fly down and meet with Scott Pioli and coach (Bill) Belichick. Flew down on (April 17), we talked, they got to know me and it was a done deal.

Eisen: So it was a getting-to-know-you moment between the general manager, coach and yourself. What was that all about?

Dillon: Basically, they just wanted to be reassured that I am a good guy. They did a two-month investigation -- that's what I call it -- and they spoke with a lot of people and everybody told them I am a good guy and that he's a hard worker. They just wanted to bring me in and reassure what they are thinking and sure enough we got it done.

Eisen: Makes it sound like they put Colombo on your case there, Corey. Who were they speaking to out of your past? Do you know?

Dillon: They were just speaking with players that play with me and people that knew me, and they put in a good word for me. As they spoke with me, they saw for themselves that I am a good guy and we just got the deal done.

Ken Norton Jr.: Now you endured a lot of losing seasons in Cincinnati. The Bengals were 34-78 while you were there. Now what is it like going from that to a team that has won two of the past three Super Bowls?

Dillon: It's refreshing. That is what this game is all about. It's about winning and losing. I have endured some long losing seasons, and to actually be a part of a winning organization, a team who thrives on winning, it feels good.

Seth Joyner: Corey, until last year you were the focal point of all the top players and everything in Cincinnati. Going to a team that is well-balanced offensively, how does it feel going to a team where you do not have to be the focal point any longer?

Dillon: It's like a monkey off my back. The only thing that is expected of me is going in there and playing ball. This was an excellent team before I even got there and now the only thing I have to do is focus on playing football. We have Tom Brady, one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL. We have a great receiving corps, a great offensive line, our defense is excellent. All I have to do is fit in and be one of the guys and play football.

Eisen: But you left a situation that seemingly has been improved, in terms of a franchise direction, a new coach. It wasn't the same old Bengals last season, Corey. What went wrong just last season? Was it just the fact that there was a lack of playing time, or that you just did not get along with coach Lewis?

Corey Dillon is happy that he is part of a perfect situation in New England.

Dillon: It was a combination of a lot of stuff. Being there six years prior to coach Lewis getting there, I have been through a lot of stuff that just was not good. He comes in and changed it around, and things start moving along. You just have to put my shoes on to really understand where I am coming from. I have been there a long, long time. It got a little better, but it didn't get that much better. If 8-8 is a good season to you, I don't know what to think. I have a high standard and that just did not sit right with me.

Eisen: No, I am not saying last year was a good season by any stretch. I was just going with the general wisdom that everybody was talking about in the NFL. Here is Marvin Lewis, a whole new clean slate. It was a whole new Bengals team and some folks who don't know what it's like to be in your shoes might look at that and say, "Well, you have been in Cincinnati for all the losing seasons. You might want to stick around for the winning ones as well."

Dillon: Like I said, after all the stuff that's gone on this year, I said it's possible I could go back and be a team player and play there. After thinking it over, I'd rather just be somewhere else and be assured that I am going to win some football games.

Joyner: Corey, after seven years, a lot of yards, a lot of heartache, what good memories are you going to take from Cincinnati?

Dillon: It was not all bad. Believe it or not, there are people down there that I am going to miss dearly. I did set a couple records down there. This is the first organization that took a chance on me and recognized my talents. So I do still have a great passion and love for the people down in Cincinnati and the fans. It's a new day and I am happy to move on and be a part of New England.

Norton: Now Corey, you have the reputation of being a little special in the locker room. Do you think a reputation like that has come on unfairly? How does a guy get rid of a reputation like that?

Dillon: I have been under a lot of pressure and stress down there in Cincinnati and we have not won that many ball games. Now if my reputation was what everybody says it is, I don't think Scott Pioli, the Kraft family and coach Belichick would have brought me in. So that kind of speaks for itself.

Eisen: Clearly you're excited about leaving Cincinnati and getting a fresh start to a point where you thought you might be a Raider. You were on a show recently just down the road, wearing some Raiders gear if I am not mistaken. Is that true? Did I see that correctly?

Dillon: (Laughs) You know, the Raiders were a possibility. At the beginning of this thing, they were in it kind of tough, but like I said, you snooze you lose. New England came up with the pick and it's all over with.

Joyner: Corey, I am glad to see you smiling like that. It's been a while since I have seen you smile like that. All the time we see you on television you got this face on, but I am happy for you man.

Dillon: I am truly happy today.

Eisen: It is fascinating to see you smile, Corey, because there have been a lot of times where all we have heard about you is you wanting out and you not being happy. Obviously you are in a situation right now where you are with a two-time champion within the last three years. What did they tell you about running the football because sometimes Tom Brady's back there and he's the two-time Super Bowl MVP? Sometimes he's flinging that ball around the yard 40 times a game. What have they told you about running?

Dillon: Well, that's no problem. Like I said, this team was already set. I am just going to be one of the guys and how many times they want to run it is up to them. I am just going to go by their guideline and be a team player. I am not even concerned about that. I am just happy to be a part of the team and help them try to win some football games.

Eisen: And the preseason they go into Cincinnati, Corey. If you had a chance right now, obviously, NFL Total Access is seen by some in Cincinnati. What would you say to the fans there?

Dillon: Oh, you better buckle up! (Laughs)

Eisen: Thanks for joining us and good luck in your new career as a Patriot. I guess we will see you down the road on Patriots Cam on NFL Total Access.

Dillon: Thanks for having me.