Clubplanet Nightlife Community

.. beginner .. help ..

.. ok .. i drive a car .. 93 honda civic ex, 5 speed .. have had to do many repairs on it like the crank shaft, distributer .. etc .. now it isnt performing as i would like it to .. so i am tryin to get rid of it .. and get a sportbike since i am usuallie the only person in the car, and would like to get good mileage also ..

.. i am thinking about the 2004 Suzuki Katana 750 .. i definately like how it looks .. and like the decent amount of power .. if i buy a bike now as starter, i dont wanna get tired of something low powered and wish i had bought a bigger bike .. i want to keep the bike i buy for a long time (6-7 years) ..

.. i was hoping some of you could give me pointers as to what i need to do to get a sportbike, what i need to consider, and what tests and licences i may need .. live in Texas, USA

devilzangel

Guest brwneydtrouble

Hmm...i've never been a fan of the Katana. Its one bike that loudly states "beginner".

How tall are you? Weight? If you like the Katana, maybe look into the SV650S or even a GSXR 750 if you really want something sporty.

.. male, i am 160lbs, and height is 5'7" .. why do u think it loudly states "beginner"?

hmmm well SV650S is not what i want ... i want a full body cover .. and the headlight shape on the 2004 GSX-R750 is kinda ugly .. but the GSX-R750F (sports tourer) (i dont know what year model it is) has the looks of the katana 750 ... and i cant find the .. GSX-R750F on the suzuki website, so i am guessing it is a previous year model..

EDIT: sorry .. there is no such thing as a GSX-R750F ... it is the GSX-750F .. which is the katana (GSX-750FK4) .. so no, i dont find the design of the GSX-R750 appealing ..

devilzangel

Guest MrBello

For a beginner Bike you don't have many options, the SV is a more than adequate beginner bike and has extreme track potential. How big of an issue is money, or age of the bike? Alot of people like to start with an older CBR, probably an F3 or F2 (and can still tear up some roads with some suspension modding. My starter bike was an Aprilia RS50, upgrading to a 250 this summer.

.. 2004 YZF-R1 .. wut about that?.. my budget got raised .. so thas in the possible range .. does anyone know the mileage that bike can pull (milespergallon)? .. but i still cant get my mind on whether i should get a 600cc or a 1000cc .. ugh ..

devilzangel

Guest brwneydtrouble

I agree with Trigger, the R1 is NOT a beginner bike. Why dont you look at the ZX6 or the ZX6Rr? Maybe even the CBR600RR......Those are my two picks from the 600 class.

If you think you need a radar detector on a bike, you will more than likely be going too fast for it to work properly. *lol*

brwneydtrouble .. i am gonna most likely go for the R6 Yamaha .. it is very light (357lbs) and reasonably priced ($8,099-8,199) .. and i guess i can mod the finer details to my liking .. like embedding the corner lights onto the actual body like the kawasaki zzr1200

about the radar detector .. i have used it ever since i started driving .. it is not that i dont go fast .. bc i do .. in which case it comes in very handy .. but even when i dont, i wanna know if there is a trooper gunning me, or that there is a presence over a hilll or something .. i am a control freak .. i admit it .. i am a speedy driver (but on a bike ofcourse i cant be goin 100 all teh time, bc that would be stupid) .. but in my 4 years of driving i have nvr had a accident, or been ticketed for speedin .. everybody can drive fast .. but the ppl who reallie win are those who drive fast smart .. if we were all smart drivers there would be no need for speed limits ..:)

Originally posted by devilzangel

.. i cant seem to find the detail of the R6 like the fuel consumption and stuff ... even on the sight ..

That's because motorcycle manufacturers don't typically include fuel consuption numbers in their specs like automotive ones do.

Guesstimating a 600cc 4, I'd say it'll get about 30mpg, alittle more/a little less, depending on how much you bounce off of redline.

Check in the specs it should give you fuel capacity and possibly travel range. Do some math and you can get a ballpark figure.

LoL... WARNING: Do not buy a " can a tuna" !! lol, you might think they look nice, but IMO theyre a waste of a perfectly good $7000 if youre looking into buying a sport bike or specifically a suzuki you should check out the gsx-R 750's. you may not wanna go lower than that in cc's either b/c if youre planning on keeping the bike for as long as you say in the future youre going to want more power, u might say no now, but it ALWAYS happens... and if youre looking at 2004 models.. as much as i hate to say it cuz i love the gixxers... look at the new kawasaki zx-10r that thing is a monster, pretty nice lookin bike too. Anyway have fun and good luck. No KATANA!! haha - Lizzy Poo

LoL... WARNING: Do not buy a " can a tuna" !! lol, you might think they look nice, but IMO theyre a waste of a perfectly good $7000 if youre looking into buying a sport bike or specifically a suzuki you should check out the gsx-R 750's. you may not wanna go lower than that in cc's either b/c if youre planning on keeping the bike for as long as you say in the future youre going to want more power, u might say no now, but it ALWAYS happens... and if youre looking at 2004 models.. as much as i hate to say it cuz i love the gixxers... look at the new kawasaki zx-10r that thing is a monster, pretty nice lookin bike too. Anyway have fun and good luck. No KATANA!! haha - Lizzy Poo

Guest brwneydtrouble

One thing about the R6 is that its very unforgiving. You dont neccesarily want a "light" bike in the same way you want a "light" car. A light bike will be fishy when its windy and unstable when you dont know what you are doing. I certainly wouldn't start out with an R6 even thought its gorgeous.

The gixxers are the best bikes to learn on IMO because they are more solid therefore more stable.

I tend to lean towards the CBRs and the ZX6/ZX6R because I am only 5'1 and very petite and I dont want a monster bike under me and the power to weight ratios seem a little more even compared to the R6 which is a lot of power and very little weight.