Clubplanet Nightlife Community

My thoughts on Iraq

We need to be there so we can impose our will on people who harbor and fund terrorism. We got rid of a tyrant and we can also use it as a beacon of hope in the Middle East. Iraq is an ideal location for that.

And I don't wanna draw parallels to Vietnam, because it's too early for that, but it's starting to seem more like it. We were in Vietnam to stop communism, now we're trying to stop radical islam fundamentalism due to its terrorist methods. But what other alternative do you suggest?! Bitch out like Spain did at the slightest hint of tragedy? No, The purpose of the military is to protect us and preserve our way of life, I think that's what they're doing in Iraq and Afghanistan.

But these are just my sentiments, you may disagree. I welcome your opposing viewpoint but please try to refrain from being condescending, deragatory or overtly emotional because that usually hinders a rational discussion, especially on a sensitive albeit monumental issue such as this.

Originally posted by daprofessional

And I don't wanna draw parallels to Vietnam, because it's too early for that, but it's starting to seem more like it.

exactly my same sentiment. Man, it never ceases to amaze me how bureaucracy and bullshit political manuvering can completely undo everything an army fought to attain.

We invaded Iraq in a couple of weeks and we've lost MORE soldiers AFTER we took over the country than while we were taking it over.

The thing that pisses me off is that the government isn't changing its rhetoric at all. It's not showing us that its adapting at all to the ongoing situation, so it makes me think it's trying to apply the same tired techniques over and over even though they may be outdated. THAT is where I draw the parallel to vietnam.

That was a time when the government spent more time trying to cover up the war than trying to win it.

The main difference I see between the two wars is that a TON of soldiers are re-enlisting after service in Iraq. In vietnam, everybody couldn't wait to get out of the army. People were burning their draft cards and soldiers who were there brought home horrible stories of how it was.

You don't see that now. The army more than reached its goals for reenlistment and you wouldn't get that unless you had soldiers who felt it was worth it. The only division not to meet the goal by a small margin was rangers/spec forces... but based on the stress those individuals see, I can't blame em one bit.

So for now, I'll stick with the boys in uniform. If they are reenlisting to go back there, then they're doing it for a reason and that reason might not be the same reasons that the TV is constantly trying to push on us. The soldiers are the ones who see the real Iraq, so only they will know. We just get the memorex.