Clubplanet Nightlife Community

ATTENTION*********TO ALL DJ'S

Question for all you dj's out there? What do you think about these new technology advances in the djing world? Like be able to mix without the skills. I know I am still learning how to blend myself. Its an art form in itself. It takes alot of time and pratice to develop. I just wanted to know your views of this...

-DJ FRESCO-

Check out my website @ www.djfresco.com

you said it...even vinyl is goin digital:

its becoming so easy...the future:

triphonic.jpg

and theres a laser digi-4beam turntable too

theres always the next level too, once blending is a science for you goto: www.harmonic-mixing.com

w/ all the accesories its become a bit easier too: www.mixmachines.com

but we, as dj's, have too innovate!!!

so dare to be different and dont ever stop spinnin!!!

so now that they've made it so easy dont coast!!!

and of course goto my home: www.djchat.com

the "club" room

------------------

<A HREF="/cgi-bin/redir.cgi?url=http://www.djjoshuacarl.com

" TARGET=_blank>www.djjoshuacarl.com

</A> flares.gif

taken from Harmonic Mixing:

Until now DJs with an ear for music avoided sour mixes by using percussion breaks or "free beats" from one of the songs being mixed. His artistry was severely limited in the same manner that a painter's would be, if the painter could never mix colors together, or if he could only mix every color with grey. Harmonic mixing is the technique of mixing different keys artistically, instead of randomly, in order to create musical blends rather than bland or sour mixes.

This is absolute bullshit. Using a list of songs with bpm's and keys?!?!? DJ's with an ear avoid sour mixes by blending outros and intros? more bullshit.

It's shit like this that makes me gag.

------------------

sig.jpg

cold spoonin' on this lovely autumn day

spoonyd.iwarp.com

1. i hope your not saying you dont use keys

2.if you you do, my bad

3. he said he's a beginer...and beginers need tools to help em.

guys like us can take this and make it work:

Key of Song Playing Tonic Perfect Fourth

(Sub-

Dominant) Perfect Fifth (Dominant) Relative Minor

C Major C Major F Major G Major A Minor

Db Major Db Major Gb Major Ab Major Bb Minor

D Major D Major G Major A Major B Minor

Eb Major Eb Major Ab Major Bb Major C Minor

E Major E Major A Major B Major Db Minor

F Major F Major Bb Major C Major D Minor

Gb Major Gb Major B Major Db Major Eb Minor

G Major G Major C Major D Major E Minor

Ab Major Ab Major Db Major Eb Major F Minor

A Major A Major D Major E Major Gb Minor

Bb Major Bb Major Eb Major F Major G Minor

B Major B Major E Major Gb Major Ab Minor

Key of Song Playing Tonic Perfect Fourth

(Sub-

Dominant) Perfect Fifth (Dominant) Relative Major

C Minor C Minor F Minor G Minor Eb Major

Db Minor Db Minor Gb Minor Ab Minor E Major

D Minor D Minor G Minor A Minor F Major

Eb Minor Eb Minor Ab Minor Bb Minor Gb Major

E Minor E Minor A Minor B Minor G Major

F Minor F Minor Bb Minor C Minor Ab Major

Gb Minor Gb Minor B Minor Db Minor A Major

G Minor G Minor C Minor D Minor Bb Major

Ab Minor Ab Minor Db Minor Eb Minor B Major

A Minor A Minor D Minor E Minor C Major

Bb Minor Bb Minor Eb Minor F Minor Db Major

B Minor B Minor E Minor Gb Minor D Major

but to a rookie just learning, this might be greek.

------------------

</A> flares.gif

Personally I think DJing is going down the route of a more live performance. Decks are out selling guitars, every dog and his mum can beat mix.

Increased use of effects and drum machines (ala Richie Hawtin, DT) is the future. Also BT is going on about using brain waves to control the lights. These Chaos pads and the like, who knows where we are going.

I like the guys like scanner who are introducing a live and unpredictable element in the mix. I am not so sure about sampling mixers, they are ok but you need more of the tools you get in high end samplers to properly mess with the beats and filters.

Put it this way, which ever way you look at it there is going to be more and more kit to learn and to clutter up the booth.

When ever happened to live instruments over the set? It's a shame you don't see that more now.

------------------

I want to go out blazing not fade away.

I can resist anything but temptation.

bsb2.GIF

One more thing spoony you say mixing intro etc, but producers are making songs to mix. Some people thing that the popularity of 'Music sounds better with you' is that you have to get that initial base lick in because thats what makes the song and draws people to the dance floor.

I can see producers using other 'techniques' to expand the impact of the song which restrist what you can do mixing into (and even out of) a song.

good call b2b.

all songs can do an intro/outro..i know what you r sayin,what fun is that right?

like pretty much every basemant jaxx or yomanda track....

thats why the 3rd deck+ asn efx500 makes it so fun...

------------------

</A> flares.gif

Check Out my website @ www.djfresco.com

I currently have 12 mixes online in real audio format. They are abOut an hour long.

or click here:

After-Hours Club Mix: http://djfresco.com/media/audio/clubmix.ram

60 minutes of hard pounding music. The final song is a new song by Mikaila. Its called "So In Love With Two" produced by Jonathan Peters. Warning: This mix is very very loud

After-Hours Club Mix 2 http://djfresco.com/media/audio/clubmix_2.ram

You should know the style already. A very hard mixed set.

Let me know what you think... Thanks :-)

-dJ Fresco-

Originally posted by mikey_m:

I agree with Fresco on this one......mixing is an artform and it does take a lot of practice......I disagree that everyone and their mother can do it......if someone is so good that they mixed perfectly the first time they stood behing two tables then........get another deck and bring it to another level.......maybe you have the natural talent to be the next Oaky or whoever.......I don't think DJing is ever conquerable, there is always another level to bring it and if there isn't, make one........unfortunately, technology is enticing a lot of "wanna be DJs" to buy their products and it makes them seem like DJs overnight.......the real DJs will stay away from that I think though......anyone who knows music well will respect that.....Peace.

MiKeY

Yeh when i was saying every dog and his mother can do it i was referring to beat mixing. And unfortunatly it's true, i have never seen tables, never used them dont think they are needed. I can teach somebody to beat mix in a day (if they have any timing), and i certainly arn't the best mixer in the world. There are tricks crap dj's use like cut off switches to get rid of the mid and high and just bang it in. But yeh i agree with you all that blending/beat mixing is easy to learn but very hard to master. To get to Carl 'silky smooth' Cox's level must take decades, just because there are no 'tricks of the trade' used.

But having said that, the whole picture requires the DJ to do more than get the beats right and that does take more practice (cutting between the two decks and even scratching is really hard to do, which is why i think turntablist should be better respected than they are).

Sasha, Pvd just couldn't do the things Q-Bert does.

But wasn't this about the future?

------------------

I want to go out blazing not fade away.

I can resist anything but temptation.

bsb2.GIF

and that was my original point

Any future technologies does not negate the need of a dj to have real musical talent above shear technical skill.

There is NO computer program or fancy mixer that will be able to program. And programming is what sets the greatest dj's apart.

------------------

sig.jpg

spoonyd.iwarp.com

PROGRAMING IS KEY!!!

some people dont even know what it is!!

(can usually tell those guys because they go through 6 tracks b4 playing one, and run around booth alot lloking for the nxt song)

ive seen some guys who cantBEATMIX at all...i dont know why either...

i think it may be a left brain/right brain sort of thing.

and these guys have been around for a few years.

one kid i talked to via email for a few months, let hhim come in and do a set on an off night...ughghhhh.

i couldnt believe someone could be SO knowledgeable but couldnt (consistantly) mix music for an hour...all stuff in the 138-140 range.

and its not the first ive seen.

i know quite a few people who went out dropped 2000.00 on techs and an 07 and sell it a year later...becuase they cant get it.

i think for some it comes very naturally...

personally having danced for years and knowing and loving music it just worked.

the "superstar-dj" attrition status is high

think how many people hav decks, or cds

and how many djs have status of phenomanal

now think how many are kick ass but never leave there bedroom frown.gif

i think if you love music, and love to move, there is no other career choice

as far as progression:

i love the idea of instraments...i usually see congo or drummers for now...

@my gig I play along w/ the bands that come in often. its alot of fun.

"have you ever blended a mix to a live drummer??

hehehehe... thats a task

and yes turntablists deserve the utmost respect!! thats how i started...its way too much for me now...

gave up after the chirp/flare combo became a easy comon skratch...ugggg

------------------

</A> flares.gif

for me its more of a feeling...i dont count beats..listen for keys..occasionally i have to force a record in..cause my programming is not perfect as of yet..but that involves getting more vinyl which is $$$$$. and a lot more practice.

it could be translated to a laziness i guess but i just wanna groove through the night without actually thinking hard about what im doing. when i start to think..thats when the screwups happen. i just try to feel the room and flow with it. the positive vibe is easy to motivate...the trick is getting people into it when there not feeling some of the stuff you lay down.

so many aspects to it...then just sitting there and playing record after record.

as far as the future of new gadgets..i fear it just invokes an idea that they need to be bought and used..and what about the original integrity of the track???? , if it aint broke why fix it. would a majority of the people really know its the track itself or a new mix???? thats just another long discussion..

z

okay,

you guys lost me.

That web page said that DJ's with an ear, use the empty beats (intro/outro) to make their mixes because they can't take it any further. I'm disagreeing with that.

I'm saying that the developed ear can piece two songs together without using tables and figures. That suggesting that someone needs a table of keys is just bullshit.

are we all arguing about agreeing with eachother?

------------------

sig.jpg

spoonyd.iwarp.com

hahaha

DEFINATELY AGREEING

but not everyone start w/ the ear...its develoed

i think the page is saying that this is the problem(using keyless intro/outros)and they'll teach ya...

it gets very intricate once you get seep in the page

luckily i learned the hard way...

but i still refer back to my key chart

------------------

</A> flares.gif

I agree with Fresco on this one......mixing is an artform and it does take a lot of practice......I disagree that everyone and their mother can do it......if someone is so good that they mixed perfectly the first time they stood behing two tables then........get another deck and bring it to another level.......maybe you have the natural talent to be the next Oaky or whoever.......I don't think DJing is ever conquerable, there is always another level to bring it and if there isn't, make one........unfortunately, technology is enticing a lot of "wanna be DJs" to buy their products and it makes them seem like DJs overnight.......the real DJs will stay away from that I think though......anyone who knows music well will respect that.....Peace.

MiKeY

------------------

"Music is life, live for the weekend....."