Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Beastie Boys New Album Installs Copywrite Protection????

lyrik

Saw this on another board:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't believe they would be so low to do this.

http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/366191/2004-06-13/2004-06-19/2

apparently the CD when played on your comp installs some copyright protection software without asking.

http://www.beastieboys.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=20128&highlight=copy+protected

Even though the move is sloppy and prepotent, the intention behind is clear and direct. The RIAA are taking justice in their own hands by bombarding their costumers computers with anti-piracy soft-ware, come to think about it...this is hard-core shit...worth a law-suit for unlawfall imposition of a product upon a costumers, just like coca cola was sued years ago for projecting subliminal flashes of their logo and letters on movie screens of theatre around the globe...ultimately, the software installed is a registered product of its manufacturer and it's not mentiuoned on the product's packaging as a bonus. That would be one detail to check on the sleeve, if it's says copyright protected in any portion of the text, then the move would be absolutely legal and founded.

After all, piracy of any kind...call it burning a cd or reproducing it on public venues without paying royalties is a federal crime which punishment could include paying a high monetary penalty or even spending some time in a dark cold rat infested slammer.

It sucks though that it can be up-loaded to an I-Pod for example...it has happened to me with a couple of CDs that I've tried ripping lately for my I-Pod...Bumblebeez and Velvet Revolver both have copyright protection, no software was installed though, I only was able to transfer jpgs resembling mp3 files...very clever joke they played on me, wasted 3 blank CDs and got nuttin' axolutahley nuttin' :)

I ripped my new Beasties into iTunes and made a copy for my buddy and it's kickin' it in my iPod... Where would I look on my Mac for this software that is allegedly installed???

Vaughan, it's my understanding that the BB CDs distributed in the US do NOT have the copy protection software on them. So you're safe for now.