Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Army to Call Up Retired, Discharged Troops

vicman

Army to Call Up Retired, Discharged Troops

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=5&u=/ap/20040629/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/iraq_reserve_callup

By ROBERT BURNS, AP Military Writer

WASHINGTON - The Army is preparing to notify about 5,600 retired and discharged soldiers who are not members of the National Guard or Reserve that they will be involuntarily recalled to active duty for possible service in Iraq (news - web sites) or Afghanistan (news - web sites), Army officials said Tuesday.

It marks the first time the Army has called on the Individual Ready Reserve, as this category of reservists is known, in substantial numbers since the 1991 Gulf War (news - web sites). Several hundred of them have volunteered for active-duty service since the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

Those who are part of the involuntary call up are likely to be assigned to National Guard or Reserve units that have been mobilized for duty in Iraq or Afghanistan, according to Army officials who discussed some details Tuesday on condition they not be identified because a public announcement was planned for Wednesday.

Members of Congress were being notified of the decision Tuesday, the officials said.

Unlike members of the National Guard and Reserve, the individual reservists do not perform regularly scheduled training. Any former enlisted soldier who did not serve at least eight years on active duty is in the Individual Ready Reserve pool, as are all officers who have not resigned their commission.

The Army has been reviewing its list of 118,000 eligible individual reservists for several weeks in search of qualified people in certain high-priority skill areas like civil affairs.

Oh shit...I only did 4 yrs with the rangers....I am not picking up that phone...darn it, just when I thought it could'nt get worse.....

yea they contacted my friend that was in the Marines...he is a cop now, but he is exempt..how u ask? he was cleaning his new glock and blew a hole in his hand about 3 months ago..LOL..no joke...

i'm suprised that the draft hasnt been reinstated yet

Isn't the bigger concern at this point: Can our military, the way it is currently constructed, only handle a war in the country the size of Iraq?

That is a scary thought....

Another question--we have 120,000 (guesstimate) troops in Germany and Japan.....why can't they be deployed?

The reason that the troops in Germany can't leave is because if they do, they would leave American assets/ families unprotected. Same as with here. We can't send all our troops to Far off countries because if we do, then that will leave the door to our country wide open and undefended. I applaud the will of our men and women in uniform... They represent a small amount of people in this great land of our that are willing to do what most people are 1) unqualified or 2) unwilling to do. Here's to the troops! :pint: