Clubplanet Nightlife Community

U.S. Gives Saddam Back to Iraqis; First Hearing Today!!!

vaughanz

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Deposed leader Saddam Hussein is to appear in court Thursday after Iraq's interim government took legal custody of him.

The U.S.-led coalition transferred Saddam and 11 other high profile members of his former regime to Iraqi authorities on Wednesday.

After the transfer, which took place Wednesday morning, Saddam looked visibly shaken, Salem Chalabi, executive director of the Special Iraqi Tribunal said.

Saddam and his aides are no longer prisoners of war, although they will physically remain in coalition military hands until the Iraqi security apparatus is ready to hold them.

Legally, Saddam and his aides will be in Iraqi custody until their trials, which are not expected before next year.

Saddam was advised that he had the right to legal counsel, and he wanted to ask questions but was told he would be able to ask them during his court appearance Thursday, Chalabi said.

The former Iraqi leader is expected to be charged Thursday, however the formal indictment could take months.

Chalabi, the head of the Iraqi tribunal that will try Saddam and the others, said the tribunal's members are concerned at the possibility the prisoners could escape.

"That's why we reached this agreement with the coalition," said Salem Chalabi, executive director of the Iraqi Special Tribunal.

"I'm worried ... Clearly, my number one concern is the protection of the key personnel as well as the detainees."

It was not exactly clear who else apart from Saddam was handed over on Wednesday....

Read Entire Story....

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/06/30/iraq.saddam/index.html

he has been turned over the Iraqi government, but remains under guard by US forces.so nothing has really changed; except for the sharing of responsibly. it will be interesting to see how the interim government handles this. it will certainly be a test for the Iraqi and US governments.

he has been turned over the Iraqi government, but remains under guard by US forces.so nothing has really changed; except for the sharing of responsibly. it will be interesting to see how the interim government handles this. it will certainly be a test for the Iraqi and US governments.

well it does change...Iraq has legal custody, which means he isnt a prisoner of war anymore, US cant do as they please or deny who they want...he can be visited by lawyers, have his rights read to him, etc...all we are doing is holding him...i think its a step in the right direction...we shall see where this rabbit hole leads...

well it does change...Iraq has legal custody, which means he isnt a prisoner of war anymore, US cant do as they please or deny who they want...he can be visited by lawyers, have his rights read to him, etc...all we are doing is holding him...i think its a step in the right direction...we shall see where this rabbit hole leads...
the responsibly is still shared as I stated. while Iraq has legal custody, the US is providing security. IMO I think an interim government, is ill equipped to handle a case of this magnitude. a case which also involves crimes in other countries. the case should really be heard in Hague. we will see how this gets played out, it should be rather interesting.

the responsibly is still shared as I stated. while Iraq has legal custody, the US is providing security. IMO I think an interim government, is ill equipped to handle a case of this magnitude. a case which also involves crimes in other countries. the case should really be heard in Hague. we will see how this gets played out, it should be rather interesting.

but if its held in Hague, then that would be the World Court..correct? i think Iraqi's want their laws to be used, but i absolutely agree...they arent equipped for this...

but if its held in Hague, then that would be the World Court..correct? i think Iraqi's want their laws to be used, but i absolutely agree...they arent equipped for this...
yes, that would be the world court I'm refering to. does Iraq really have laws at this point? I don't really believe so... which is a primary reason why the trial should be done in Hague. it also would help prevent people from accusing the US, of being bias and impeding the process.

yes, that would be the world court I'm refering to. does Iraq really have laws at this point? I don't really believe so... which is a primary reason why the trial should be done in Hague. it also would help prevent people from accusing the US, of being bias and impeding the process.

i dont know where they are as far as laws go...but u dont think that the Iraqi's well get a bit mad that they cant convict the man that killed thousands during his regime? catch 22 i guess...

i dont know where they are as far as laws go...but u dont think that the Iraqi's well get a bit mad that they cant convict the man that killed thousands during his regime? catch 22 i guess...
yep it's a catch 22. i'm sure the Iraqi's would be angered. once again they are not equipped at this point, to handle this trial. having it in Hague would allow the Iraqi government to present there case, along with the other countries involved. IMO a conviction from the world court would hold more weight, and be less bias for all concerned.