Clubplanet Nightlife Community

NYC nightlife 2003-2004

This news on Filter 14 just had me thinking about how drastically nightlife has changed over the past year. A year ago we still had Arc (still missing that place *very* much), Sound Factory was a staple with JP on Saturday nights (even if you didn't go or didn't support, it was a crazy party especially with theme nights) Filter 14 was a great place to hear good djs for cheap prices, Centro-Fly, etc...and Crobar, Avalon, and Spirit were still being built. Huge parts of our nightlife that are now no longer-- or what will soon no longer be, were HUGE... and the major options we have currently were yet to be experienced. Piece by piece these clubs are opening or closing.. but when you think about it all together within the context of a year, its crazy..

I don't know.......I think it's pretty natural.......My first clubbing days were disco 2000 and tribal dome at Limelight in 91......Since then I've seen the scene change, places open/close, music change, people change, etc. etc.....I thinks it's like the natural selection of club land.......it's healthy in a way.......granted I do miss some of the old places no longer here......arc....twilo.....old limelight.....but you said it yourself....as these places were closing, others like spirit, crobar, etc. were opening..........and I'm sure one day spirit and crobar will be closed, shut down, etc......the cycle will never end.........

Yeah Kahn, I totally agree with you. Its def nice to have a change, and I think clubs constantly opening/closing keep things fresh. Even sometimes a premature closing of a club makes the memories seem that much greater. I haven't been in it as long as you, but i have witnessed the closing of twilo, tunnel, and limelight etc.. I know its the way it goes, I just feel for some reason that this year it has been really drastic. :(

The thing that gets me is that every place that has opened up recently caters to the same type of crowd. (VIP / Bottle Service etc) To me there isn't much of a difference between Crobar or Spirit or Avalon... Also you don't have any mid size clubs anymore. You either have the huge ones or the lounges like Sully, Table50, Filter etc....

The thing that gets me is that every place that has opened up recently caters to the same type of crowd. (VIP / Bottle Service etc) To me there isn't much of a difference between Crobar or Spirit or Avalon... Also you don't have any mid size clubs anymore. You either have the huge ones or the lounges like Sully, Table50, Filter etc....

I hear that........I'm not much for the big clubs these days...

Well if you are interested I will be Moderating a Panel at this year's Billboard Dance Music Summit Sept 22nd in NYC. The topic is UNDER CONSTRUCTION: REBUILDING & REMIXING CLUBCULTURE IN AMERICA.

Industry Representatives will be on a panel in a Town Hall atomosphere. If we opened up this panel to Clubbers for the Day would you attend and share your thoughts about how we are going to make nightlife in NYC and other states stronger?

The fact that there is a division of the NYPD that was created specifically to squeeze the club scene, as well as the outrageous requirements and expensive fees to acquire cabaret and liqour permits make it so hard to put anything underground together. The city gov't has to relax some laws for things to come back, and quite frankly I don't see that happening.

Well if you are interested I will be Moderating a Panel at this year's Billboard Dance Music Summit Sept 22nd in NYC. The topic is UNDER CONSTRUCTION: REBUILDING & REMIXING CLUBCULTURE IN AMERICA.

Industry Representatives will be on a panel in a Town Hall atomosphere. If we opened up this panel to Clubbers for the Day would you attend and share your thoughts about how we are going to make nightlife in NYC and other states stronger?

That's really cool, I would def be down, but I have work. In general, can anyone attend?

i would love to attend this summit as well details please when they are available. And the club scene always changes but it hurts when you share so many memories at one location. Trust me FILTER 14 was amazing everynight i went. And hangin out afterwards with certain people and the staff after everyone was gone ad seeing what a mess was left and talking about the night is PRICELESS. Although there are still many great parties goin on in the city whenever i would hear a dj i know isw gonna bring it would spin at filter it was a sure bet i would have a great time.

www.billboardevents.com

Click on the Billboard DMS logo

We are working out the details this panel will be on the Weds Sept 22 at noon replacing another panel but here is the description.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION: REBUILDING, RETHINKING & REMIXING CLUB CULTURE IN AMERICA

Put on your hard hats.......this area is UNDER CONSTRUCTION. Raves have been reorganized as Music Festivals, Promoters now have insurance & 401k's, Corporations own Nightclubs, DJs are scoring major Hollywood Soundtracks and Live Electronic music is growing strong in the heartland. Have we arrived in the USA? Is Dance music finally approachable enough to be popularized without changing its sound? Once thought of as ravers with glowsticks, Club goers now wear designer labels and are packing every technological gadget under the sun. Dance music fans are responsible for some of the highest attended events in the world packing nightclubs, amphitheatres and parks alike. In this ever changing world is Dance music just keeping up or are we setting the pace? Is it time to rethink and rebuild Club Culture in America? Join us for the very first Billboard Town Hall where a panel industry representatives, peers and club goers will come together to map a plan to strengthen the future of Club Culture in America.