Clubplanet Nightlife Community

R.I.P.: Toyota Celica and MR2

According to the wall street journal, toyota is axing the Celica and the MR2 from the US market at the end of next year. Toyota USA blames slow sales due to increased competition among small coupes. In 2003, Toyota sold less than 15,000 Celicas and less than 3000 MR2s. The cars will be sold elsewhere; such as Europe and Japan. I'm not sure if Canadian sales will continue.

Personally, I was not sure how Toyota was expecting to sell anymore Celicas now that the TC is out. The MR2 was probably going to be destroyed by the Solstice....and I doubt that Toyota would want to admit to being defeated by GM.

Guest brwneydtrouble

Thats cause the spyder is a POS. They need to revamp the MK2, and keep the turbo and they're back in business. Oh yeah, they can keep the celica 86'ed as far as im concerned. I lump that in the same category as the new eclipse spyder. GARBAGE.

when you make diet sportscars, you should expect diet sales.

It's Toyota's fault they wimped out and tried to please the secretaries and housewives instead of making a sportscar for enthusiasts. Now they're bitching out on the whole concept altogether and using poor sales as an excuse for their approach to the issue.

Meanwhile Z06's, 350z's, Neon SRT4's, Mini Cooper S's, WRX's and Mustangs continue to sell beautifully, and Toyota is whining about a bad market and low sales.

Meanwhile Z06's, 350z's, Neon SRT4's, Mini Cooper S's, WRX's and Mustangs continue to sell beautifully, and Toyota is whining about a bad market and low sales.

it doesnt look like Toyota's whining about a "bad market"....they cited intense competition" as for why the cars were dropped. Basically they are admitting that their cars are crap.

They need to revamp the MK2, and keep the turbo and they're back in business.

there is no business case for completely revamping a car that only sells 3000 cars a year. even if sales doubled, the return on investment would not be pretty.

would the MR2 even need a turbo? Just use the Celica engine (before I get crapped on for saying that, keep in mind that the engine is good enough for Lotus)

man that's what every enthusiast has been screaming for years. The celica engine is plenty for a 2000lb car.

Toyota won't do it becuase they're too busy trying to cash in on Scion tC sales and TRD supercharger Scion/rice/graphics/exhaust tip options.

Toyota has gone from being a leader in the japanese sports car market to a company that caters to entry level ricers. If that isn't losing face, I don't know what is.

Toyota has gone from being a leader in the japanese sports car market to a company that caters to entry level ricers. If that isn't losing face, I don't know what is.

Well after the new Corolla "performance" model gets trashed in the marketplace, maybe toyota will rethink that decision.

Guest brwneydtrouble
there is no business case for completely revamping a car that only sells 3000 cars a year. even if sales doubled, the return on investment would not be pretty.

would the MR2 even need a turbo? Just use the Celica engine (before I get crapped on for saying that, keep in mind that the engine is good enough for Lotus)

Im not talking about revamping the spyder, I was tatlking about the MKII, the model that Cintron and I both have. It is still to this day regarded with respect as far as performance and even styling goes. Everyone agrees that when they chenged it to the current model (It was still in production?) it all went to shit. The motor is swapped into corollas, celicas etc. and the body was designed by pinninfarina hence the Poor Mans Ferrari moniker.

Like Eric said, insteead of just acceding to pressure and bowing out of the race, they should quit being pussies and make a real car instead of these diet sportscars.

Guest brwneydtrouble
Toyota doesn't have a performance sports car out. They've got nothing impressive from my perspective. BORING.

I totally agree. They lost it when they axed the supra and 2nd gen mr2.

I totally agree. They lost it when they axed the supra and 2nd gen mr2.

bwhahha what part of "performance sports car" didn't you understand? With that being said *maybe* the supra for a couple of years, don't remember which one it was though, and the Mr.2 hahahhahahahha lol, I don't care what generation it is....definitely not a performance sports car, IMO.....thanks :type:

Guest brwneydtrouble
bwhahha what part of "performance sports car" didn't you understand? With that being said *maybe* the supra for a couple of years, don't remember which one it was though, and the Mr.2 hahahhahahahha lol, I don't care what generation it is....definitely not a performance sports car, IMO.....thanks :type:

Youre an ignorant fuck.

"maybe" the supra???

I need to get ahold of whatever you're smoking

Man i hate toyotas but i can even agree the supra was an amazing car.

• 2 weeks later...
i have a question for toyota: if you are not going to produce performance cars anymore....why spend hundreds of millions a year on an F1 team?

That is a very good question...

I'm very curious as to why toyota hasn't brought the supra back... even a watered down version... nissan has made tons of $$ off the z, I would think that if toyota brought somthing back even close to the old supra they woulda made mad $$...

Guest brwneydtrouble
im sure toyota have plans up their sleave about a performance car or bringing back the supra. we just have to wait and see.

Someone was just telling me about plans to bring back the supra.