Clubplanet Nightlife Community

R.I.P. VW Phaeton?

Flop Phaeton Might Not Be Back

Date Posted 07-15-2004

Extremely slow sales of the Volkswagen Phaeton have VW officials wondering whether it's worth bringing the car back to the States for another year of sales. In a recent interview in Britain's Car magazine, Volkswagen AG chairman Bernd Pischetsrieder said, "The Phaeton fails to sell because it is not distinctive enough." The $65,000 sedan has been criticized for looking too similar to the Audi A8, and even in Europe sales are sluggish. Pischetsrieder tells Car that the next Phaeton "will definitely not be a normal saloon." In the meantime, insiders are saying that the Phaeton may not be exported to the U.S. next year if sales don't rise.

http://www.edmunds.com/news/regularnews/articles/102546/article.html?tid=edmunds.e.recentarticle...4.*

:laugh:

another title for this article should be "How VW wasted a billion dollars" :rolleyes:

just because the phaeton's value was written down...doesnt mean that it was cancelled.

for example, Time Warner wrote down the value of AOL twice....but AOL still exists no?

:blah:

Meee noe reeed two good. Sorree

Guest brwneydtrouble

Someone in my building at work has one. It is REALLY nice, but yeah it does look like an Audi.

It really isn't distinctive enough to cost that much, but its still a gorgeous car.

I had a chance to take a w12 phaeton on an extended road trip from nyc to nh , and all i can say the car is nothing short of amazing , and even the vw rep said that the biggest problem is how the car is badged , and yes its shit on mercedes s class'.

Its such a hot car, hell if I had 65k to slap down Id by it. Im just a VW freak like that.

Besides VW are known for quality, and high mileage and what not. Not like its a fucking Kia Sophia, its a quality product.

PS. I hate eruropean lic. plates

I personally like the design and if I was in my mid 30's I would consider buying one.

VW's are known for quality, bwhahhahah you have to be shitting me, please tell me you were being sarcastic. Maybe the old beetles....MAYBE...

Lastly, I hate most things European, but I do like the license plates.