Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Is ephedrine a derivative of ephedra?

ephedrine is derived from the ephedra plant...

------------------

"There was a time before we were born when the soul of each one of us decreed that we be brought into life. We have all made a place for ourselves on this earth, each life precious, each path different. But we all share the same goal of inner peace and it is there within us all to be discovered, and it can only be discovered through love."

That article is a big load of smack.

There's no such thing as an ephedra plant, but ephedrine is extracted from the ma huang plant, and ephedra is a popular (although incorrect) name. The recommended dose of 25 mg of pure ephedrine is hardly enough to do any damage. If you take a handful of ephedrine pills, then A) you're an idiot and B) it will kill you. If you smoke, you're at higher risk, but you already knew that smoking is bad, right? If you have high blood pressure, you're at higher risk too, so do yourself a favor and check.

Note that 25 mg applies to pure ephedrine and not the total extract - most available forms contain crude extract which is only 6% ephedrine by weight.

Originally posted by resident:

There's no such thing as an ephedra plant,

B]

Yes, there is an ephedra plant. Ma Huang is one of the types of species of Ephedra. The following comes from Encyclopedia Britannica...

Ephedra

the only genus of the family Ephedraceae, an evolutionally early group of low, straggling, or climbing gymnospermous desert shrubs and the only family in the order Ephedrales. Ephedra contains about 40 species, among them the Asiatic plants known as ma huang, sources of the decongestant drug ephedrine. The joint pine of the eastern Mediterranean region is Ephedra fragilis. The North American species include the plants joint fir and Mormon tea bush, sources of food and medicinals. The leaves, reduced to scales about one centimetre long, are opposite or whorled about the nodes of green branchlets that resemble those of the horsetail. In certain anatomical and reproductive features, the plants are close to the angiosperms.

------------------

"There was a time before we were born when the soul of each one of us decreed that we be brought into life. We have all made a place for ourselves on this earth, each life precious, each path different. But we all share the same goal of inner peace and it is there within us all to be discovered, and it can only be discovered through love."

I absolutely cannot handle that stuff. I have a bottle of Stacker 2's in front of me and I am considering throwing it away.

Everythime I take 1 I become a jittery mess

I feel like i just sniffed an 8 Ball of coke

minus the good feeling.

------------------

"Join the Army, meet interesting people, kill them."

"If Barbie is so popular, why do you have to buy her friends?"

"Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire."

read it....

" AT LEAST 54 deaths and about 1,000 reports of complications have been linked to ephedra since the mid-1990s.......

Benowitz estimated 12 million people in the United States used ephedra products last year."

54 deaths worldwide in the last 5 years, versus 12 million people using in the US alone??? more people probably died from spilling mcdonald's superheated coffee on their crotch.

Originally posted by dirtyslapper:

54 deaths worldwide in the last 5 years, versus 12 million people using in the US alone??? more people probably died from spilling mcdonald's superheated coffee on their crotch.

Sounds like a pretty good safety record. There is TONS of other drugs (as in, medicinal drugs) which cause many more deaths and complications, and guess what? They are still being used.

It's too bad that ephedrine doesn't have the allmighty pharmaceutical-company-sponsored lobby backing it up.