Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Larry Levans 50th bday review@SPIRIT

Along with the last party at arc (29hrs) this had to have been the most fun i have ever had at a club with the best music. And i can confidently say THE GREATEST CROWD i have ever had the pleasure of sharing the floor with.

The djs who played were all amazing. Right now i cant remember the first ones name butafter him came, "THE LATIN BULL" RUBEN TORO, FRANCIOS K, RICHARD VASQUEZ, JOEY LLANOS AND DAVID DEPINO. With KEVIN HEDGE of blaze being the MC. MELBA moore performed and so so this other guy who icant remember right now. There were also sellling west end records cds, and paradise garage shirts. Video screens were displaying larrys face and various colors and messages thu out the night. And also they had a huge black banner in the main room. AWESOME.

Music wise i couldnt have asked for anythignbetter amazing songs after amazing songs. A few cp heads were in the house and can tell ya how much fun the night was. From opening 830ish to 445am closing that room was full of love. There were also ons of djs on the floor to mention on here as well. And the icing on the cake was the GIFTS EVERYONE recieved. First gift was LARRY LEVAN RECORDED LIVE AT SOUNDFACTORY MARCH 22,1991. And then the BIG ONE a DVD OF THE CLOSING PARTY OF THE PARADISE GARAGE. The closing track of the party was "LOVE IS THE MESSAGE" MFSB. I

wish icould give ya a track listing but there were so many great songs played that i would feel bad if i missed one or mixed up titles. But i tell ya this much i went to the upstairs bathroom to pee ight. And well i took out "THE LIL BULL" and at the same time the dj at the time as mixing in "time warp" and i was like oh my god so iput my thing away and ran back downstairs to dance my ass off and then as soon as the song finished i had to run back and pee or i wouldve peed all over myself. It was paninful holding urine in and dancing at the same time. GREAT NIGHT INDEED. I wish everyone there couldve saw and felt what i felt.

holy crap dude how didyou forget them ahhhhhh. Hey the cd is hot the dvd is hotter. Maybe if soeone you know as a dvd burner i can lend it to ya. As for the cd idont have any blnks in my house but when i do you will get a copy.

yo.....I gotttttta get a copy of the dvd......I can copy it at work.....

either way it was worth it.......that party was incredible......

kevin hedge said at spirit on tues for larry levans bday party. "WE DID THIS PARTY ON A TUESDAY SO THAT ONLY PEOPLE WHO WANTED TO BE HERE WOULD SHOW UP, NO TOURISTS OR PEOPLE WE DIDNT WANT HERE THAT DONT UNDERSTAND" house aint dead at all and it was packed from opening till closing.

kevin hedge said at spirit on tues for larry levans bday party. "WE DID THIS PARTY ON A TUESDAY SO THAT ONLY PEOPLE WHO WANTED TO BE HERE WOULD SHOW UP, NO TOURISTS OR PEOPLE WE DIDNT WANT HERE THAT DONT UNDERSTAND"

yep....and it was a great idea......

makes me wanna check out TIS this Friday or maybe Langstons on Sunday.

As Silverbull put it, this party had the best crowd I've ever seen at a party. I got in around 11 and the entire club was dancing like crazy. I didn't jump right into the foray, I clung to a booth close to one of the speakers to watch some freestylers go at it. Some of these guys were over 40 and moving like they were still in high school B-boy battle.

I think 1 out of 8 people were wearing Paradise Garage shirts. After being in the club for 10 minutes, I witnessed so many greetings and embraces from fellow members catching up on times passed. I noticed some people from Body & Soul and 718 sessions parties but the majority I believe knew each other from Paradise days.

The highlight of my night was what I'd like to call the "Tango Tag-Off". This couple started to do ballroom twirls and guys would cut in to dance with the girl. I think they were about 6 guys dancing with this one girl each stealing her from each other. They all seemed to know each other and just having a great time. Another girl started dancing and then they were two couples. Thne out of nowhere this new guy came and grabbed both girls and did this sweet 3-way dance. Since there were no more girls, two guys started dancing with each other. Then this new woman entered and she tagged the second girl and they went at it. Then everybody went for broke and did the tango with each other. Some guy standing next to me got so excited he begged persistently for me to spin him around by hold his hand upto me which I had to decline.(I don't dance with guys and prolly couldn't do it anyway for feeling anxious watching everybody else.:woah: )

The music was classic 70-80's dance tunes. Stuff that house music was built on. I can't recall the names of songs right now but all the tracks I've heard before originally or from songs that sampled from them.

Melba Moore's performance got a lot of praise from the crowd. Kevin Hedge said they called her last minute at 10 PM to sing because the original act felt ill all of a sudden. Thnaks again Melba.

As I was leaving, inside the club they had sold out of the classic black Paradise Garage T-shirts.:unhappy: But I scooped a bootleg shirt of Larry on the decks from of the street for $5.:biggrin: I'm listening to the CD right now, its great. Just makes the night feel even more special.

my garage t shirt has been worn so many times since i recieved one a few months ago. I defintel need to buy like 3 of them. I remeber the first time i went to crobar the bouncer was like what kinda stupid shirt are you wearing? Figures he was meathead anyway who probably doesnt understand. THE CD IS HOT the DVD IS HOT. ANd when LIZ TORRES is performing the ass on that girl sticks out like crazy. Hey shaggief why not come down tomorrow to discotheque for TONY HUMPHRIES. I also heard theres a few bootleg black ones out as well whcih is why the OFFICIAL ones have a logo onthe sleeve. And what bootleg shirt did you get i dont think ihave seen that one b4.

That night was AMAZING........ I was mad tired from work earlier and my knee was killing me so I didn't really dance much but now I can say I partied with ppl from THE GARAGE. Even if you don't like that genre of music, you can't have a bad time.... These ppl give off an incredible energy and for them its all about THE MUSIC and Love(bringing ppl together) they all danced nsync and whoever missed this event you don't know how to party until you partied with these old skool clubbers. Yo Gabe...... I ended up staying til 330......don't know how I did it......bit again it was a fantastic night.

CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey shaggief why not come down tomorrow to discotheque for TONY HUMPHRIES. I also heard theres a few bootleg black ones out as well whcih is why the OFFICIAL ones have a logo onthe sleeve. And what bootleg shirt did you get i dont think ihave seen that one b4.

I'm still so amped from Tuesday, I'm going to catch Humphries tonight. I'll wear the shirt I bought. I'm going to look silly in it for sure. Its 3XL size, smallest size he had.

He was also selling shirts with a pic of Larry's face on it. The pic was too small for my taste, it made Larry look like Jimmy Walker from Good Times. :(

I have a DVD burner.

I know you don't know me on a personal level ... but I'm a REALLY GOOD GUY. I swear. Anyway to get a copy of those discs? I'd die. I saw Maestro ... how's that? And I'm a Body & Soul head, a 718 Sessions devotee and an all around wonderful person with soul who is DYING that I didn't go to the party Tuesday night (I was thinking waking up the next day was more important ... geez, was I wrong). Anyway ... if there's ANY way to view/copy/borrow/see those discs ... I'd be forever greatful.

Love,

Bubbles