Clubplanet Nightlife Community

The Movie "Garden State"

patois

This was a great movie....I went to college at Rutgers and had a great time there, so this movie was a fun reminder of some of the Jersey culture I experienced. Some of the people up there don't go any further than their own small suburban towns...it always kind of intrigued me how you could get everything you need out of life out of one small town - sometimes I think it would be nice if that were enough for me.

The movie also reminded me about how, in New Jersey, there are so many people looking for their own original thing (maybe because they are so close to NYC). A lot of people I know from college are singer/songwriters....they are very loathe to do a cover of anything.

It was also nice to see the Jersey landscape...although I never spent much, if any, time in the towns in which the movie was filed - I think they were more towards the coast. But the canyon scene is another demonstration of how diverse the Jersey landscape is....the state has mountains, farms, beaches, wastelands, swamps, pine barrens....and apparently, according to this movie, it has a little canyon. I never knew that.

I also related to the canyon scene....I want to be an environmental lawyer but, at the same time, I have some good memories of Jersey malls. Nonetheless, I would not want to be the developer fighting to pave over a natural phenomenon like that....it's not as if Jersey is lacking for any more malls....

So....departing from the usual tradition of reviewing clubs....here's to a state where I spent some great years of my life....