Clubplanet Nightlife Community

An Open Letter To Terry Mullan

ede armand

you know... way way back in the day, i got this mix tape. it was actually a copy of a copy of a copy of a mix tape. and when i say mixtape i mean an actual cassette. lol. it was called "building blocks". it was one of the dopest sets i heard at the time. then i actually got to see mullan at a rave in CT. i was floored by him and have always remained a fan.

that is, untill this weekend.

a good friend of mine booked him for an all night party this past weekend. now, my friend has a remarkable history and excellent reputation as a promoter in the underground scene over here.

he booked terry despite other promoters and dj's and club owners and fans, telling him not to. not to becuse, terry has a reputaion for not showing up.

and when i say, "not showing up", i mean like, appears at 1 out of 10 bookings.

well, he certainly lived up to that reputation saturday night.

my friend waited for terry at the airport for almost two hours.

almost 800 people were thoroughly warmed up by a sonic set from d:fuse and were completely ready to rock.

i went.

i waited.

terry never came.

no call.

no show.

AGAIN!

YES! AGAIN!

first of all, shit happens. flights suck. people get sick. ill give you that.

but, when your reputation is that of a "no-show" dj and you act like it?

and ya think, maybe, you could call if something went down? what's the excuse this time terry?

so terry, answer me this question.

you used to be known, recognized, heralded, and loved as one of the most influencial dj's and producers in the culture and, now, when anyone mentions your name, all of that is completely dissregarded and you are acknowledged as, "the no-show dj".

first of all, let's get something straight. as dj's, we play records. it's hillarious aint it! people PAY us to do this!? what a life we lead! so terry, despite all of the experience, success and knowledge someone at your level may have, please don't take yourself too seriously. we're still just spinning records here.

is it too hard for you to get on to a, paid for, plane terry? ruff life huh? i mean you could always pick up a job shoveling shit if this one is too much for you.

now, how about the fact that all of these promoters pay you a deposit to lock in the booking?

my friend called the promoter whose gig you were to play at, before his, and was told that you were a no-show there as well.

other promoters in the area have booked you and you haven't showed up there either.

so, if you are taking bookings, repeatedly, and taking these deposits and then not showing up, isn't that like stealing? i think it is.

so lets recap.

you spin records.

then people fall in love with the way you spin records and decide that they love you and want to reward you by flying you all over the world and giving you money.

then you produce your own records and mix tapes and cd's and people love them and love you so, they buy them and make you very popular. some might say "famous".

now you make more money and fly to more places, spinning records because... people loved you.

then, one day you decided that you would continue to take the money from the people that loved you but, you wouldn't give the love back.

where would you be without these people terry? where would you be without some kid like me, ten years ago (before the internet), searching for anything and everything "terry mullan"?

where would you be without that kid that booked you at the first rave you ever played?

or, the guy that flew you to your first overseas gig?

where would you be without all the kids that followed you to these gigs and bought your cd's?

where would you be without the guys that sought you out for a booking, despite your reputation?

where would you be?

as a dj, as someone who has been entertaining in nightlife for over 15 years, as an old raver and an old clubber.... i am dissapointed and fed up with the likes of you, terry mullan.

you are doing nothing for the culture, nothing for the music and most importantly, nothing for the fans. you are a thief and a liar. you are stealing from these kids, man. period.

if you had any decency in you, mr. mullan, might i suggest you make some sort of effort to make good on some of these broken promises and agreements you've made. you know, be "a man of your word" and all that.

it builds character and might actually be good for your soul.

good luck terry mullan.

sincerely,

ede armand.