Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Anyone driven an RX-8?

iamme

I've never driven one but I was in the parking lot of a grocery store the other day and saw a black one, dressed in chrome wheels, driving by. As it drove by I tried to get a sense of what the rotary engine sounded like but all I heard was this weird clipping sound (like the sound of a fan rubbing against a piece of paper) when the driver of the RX-8 peeled off. Is that what the rotary engine is supposed to sound like? It was quite underwhelming to say the least, I expected a much more aggressive sounding engine =(

Guest brwneydtrouble
hmmm, might have to test drive it...thats odd.

the biggest negative ive heard is that it doesnt accelerate very well at low speeds, which blows! :half:

Pussy version of a true sports car. Kinda like the boxster compared to a carrera.

The RX-8 handles great. Balance is perfect and you can throw it around in the corner. If you were expecting a rotary to roar, it doesnt. It also doesnt throw you back in your seat when you take off like the 350Z, BUT it will outhandle a Z any day of the week.

On another note, you can wind the engine up to 8500 b/f it redlines at 9000. Now that is when the rotary sounds cool.

Guest brwneydtrouble
i see youre not too fond of it :laugh:

what do u see as a true sports car under $40k??

You will always find me an advocate of the S2000. Im not gonna go into why I think its awesome other than I wish I still had it. As far as under $40K, are you lookinig solely for a new car or are you looking for performance?

You will always find me an advocate of the S2000. Im not gonna go into why I think its awesome other than I wish I still had it. As far as under $40K, are you lookinig solely for a new car or are you looking for performance?

looking/hoping...i actually bought a new car last november so... bleh

would u take the s2000 (i like this car) over the Z since they are within a few $K of each other?

...im not going to get a real sports car till i turn 25 so my insurance doesnt rape me...(1.5 years) :half:

Guest saleen351

I drove one a month ago.. My buddy was thinking about getting it..

It's too small

shifter fucking sucks ass. you have no idea what gear you are in. notchy and no direct feel.

Power is not bad at all, but lacks what ever foreign sports car under 50 grand lacks, TORQUE!!!!

Interior is ugly, the radio is horrible, the back seats suck, since the windows are too small...

It handles well, nice balance, but it's a ricer and has a miata feel to it. you don't feel like you are in a solid sports car like a cobar, vette or porsche. While the rotary is fun to beat the piss out of, you'd get sick of it in a month.

The price is out of control high..

Save your money and buy a used vette. much more bang for your buck.

As for the idiot who said" It also doesnt throw you back in your seat when you take off like the 350Z" NEWS FLASH, THE 350z RUNS MID TO HIGH 14's TO LOW 15'S IN THE 1/4 MILE... MY MOMS CADDY BEATS IT..

the sport 2000 won't be around much longer, they can't sell them, since once again, they try and sell high reving crap to americans who like low end torque.

If Mazda wants to get serious, they shoud port the new stang engine into the miata. then we are talking!!!

Guest brwneydtrouble

Cause he's a guido that only likes stangs and vettes yet drives a probe.

Saleen, of course the car is gonna be too small for you......you're like 5 times the size of me. Did you have to hold on to the roof to haul yourself out?

• 4 weeks later...
Cause he's a guido that only likes stangs and vettes yet drives a probe.

Saleen, of course the car is gonna be too small for you......you're like 5 times the size of me. Did you have to hold on to the roof to haul yourself out?

he drives a probe??? bwahaha.. he made fun of me last year for driving an acura... lol

hmmm, might have to test drive it...thats odd.

the biggest negative ive heard is that it doesnt accelerate very well at low speeds, which blows! :half:

No acceleration = no torque. No expert but usually the hp / tq figures are relatively close to each other but when it comes to the rotary there's just NO torque in there. I valeted an rx-8 once, around the corners it was rediculously sticky (even for a damp winter night) but getting around the corner was a different story below 2k in 2nd gear.