Clubplanet Nightlife Community

What makes a good nightclub?

laurentkm2

In your opinion, what makes a good nightclub??

I'm at the very, very, veeeeeeery, early stages of wanting to own my own club (I still need to take see what kind of business classes, I would need to take). I don't want anything big, just something small and intimate that makes people feel good.

So what do you look for in a club???

Your opinions will help motivate me in what I would like to to in the future.

L

I think a good club is one that is run well. If you have pleasant, hardworking promoters and staff, keep the place clean, book acts that people want to see, keep drinks (and food, if applicable) affordable, have safe parking, and make the place fun to go to, you should be ok.

The thing is though... do you want your own club, or just your own event? It might be a good idea to start off by starting an event at an already existing club in an area where there's not a lot of competition for the style of music or the atmosphere. You've got to know how to handle issues like money management, booking acts, etc before you jump in the deep end and try to run your own club. It's not as glamorous as it seems, either. The club owners I've met aren't really party people, they're business oriented and they focus primarily on making money... that's what it takes to stay on top in an area with so much going on.

Thanks for your input muramasa.

The thing is, I don't want a big ass night club, just a place where people can chill and dance. Instead of thowing a party at my house, I want to throw party at a house that's also a business....does that make sense?

Have you guys ever been to Sauntuary? It's a small club, dance floor downstairs, and a couple of rooms to chill out upstairs. It's nothing fancy, but when you go there, your not just a face in the crowd and a customer, you actually feel like your party of a family.

When I went there, it motivated me. I rented a ballroom at a local hotel years ago and threw a party, it wasn't too bad, there were a couple of bumps, but that's the way it goes. Ever sinse then I wanted to open a place and have dancing with a postive feeling.

Here is the crazy thought, I want to open in the suburbs, like the Reston/Herndon area. In the city there are all kinds of music, because it's diverse crowd. I'm still trying to figure out if a deep underground house club/lounge/chill out spot will work.

Right now I'm just in the "dreaming" about it stages. I'm collect it business books, looking into classes, etc.

L

I rented

Maybe it's the type of music they play (deep house) that gives that vibe, I'm not sure.