Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Castro Fractures Knee, Hurts Arm in Fall

mrmatas2277

By Marc Frank

HAVANA (Reuters) - Cuban President Fidel Castro (news - web sites) fractured his left knee and has a fissure in his right arm after a fall captured on live television, the government said on Thursday.

Castro, 78, tripped and fell on Wednesday night as he returned to his seat after speaking for an hour at a graduation ceremony in central Cuba.

"His general health is good, and spirits excellent," a brief government statement said.

Castro's dramatic tumble during a live television broadcast was certain to provoke new questions about how long he can remain at Cuba's helm. The Latin American leftist icon has had trouble walking of late.

"He asked that it be made known he is in condition to continue attending to fundamental questions in close cooperation with government and party leaders," the statement said.

Castro has led the Western Hemisphere's only Communist country since he came to power in a 1959 revolution,

In June 2001, Castro fainted briefly during a speech under a scorching sun. Since then questions about his health have cast uncertainty over Cuba's political future.

After the 2001 incident, Castro confirmed that he views his younger brother, Raul, head of Cuba's armed forces and No. 2 in the political hierarchy, as his successor.

Castro was picked up by bodyguards and placed in a chair after his fall Wednesday at the graduation ceremony for art instructors in Santa Clara, held in front of the mausoleum that holds the remains of fellow revolutionary Che Guevara.

The Cuban president asked for a microphone and told the crowd of about 30,000 people, some of whom broke into tears when he fell, that there was no cause for alarm.

"Dear graduates and other guests, I ask your forgiveness for having fallen. To prevent speculation, I observe I have a fracture in the knee and maybe in an arm too, I'm not sure yet" he said.

"I will recover as soon as possible, but as you can see, I can speak even if they put me in plaster and I can continue my work."

lthumb.lon80910211433.cuba_castro_lon809.jpg

the end is near....:laugh: