06. Steve Bug - 'Houze'

07. Envoy 'Move On' [Alex Smoke Dub]

08. Dan Berkson - 'Easy'

09. Ben Mono - 'Post Protection' [ben Mono Remix]

10. Unit 4 - 'Bodydub' [Tiefschwarz Remix]

11. Hell & Heil - 'P.D.D.'

12. Frank Martiniq - 'Sideblow'

13. Matthias Tanzmann - 'Anyway'

What better way to introduce yourself to an EDM related forum than by offering a promo set that you mixed with your own ten fingers? That's exactly what DJ Reza (azerr) did. So I sent him my address and 3 days later, I had a copy of the mix entitled 'Green Beans & Asparagus.'

He starts things off with an infectuously deep bassline on 'Surrender' before a fierce male vocal kicks in... "Not this time, I won't give in..." There's an eerie synth plopped into the vocals which gives the track a very unearthly feel. The track is chugging along comfortably in tech house territory and all of a sudden, a very static "white noise" sound marks the cue of 'Psycho Happiness'. And it's definitely a psycho track chock full of bleeps and squelches. It's the kind of production that you appreciate for its raw simplicity! There's a little bumpy melody reminiscent of a track Brett Johnson would make but that quickly fades into a police siren over a sleazy female vocal on Mu's 'Paris Hilton'. This is one of my favorite tracks on the set. Bordering into electro territory, it's got a swinging bassline with lots of hi-hats and cymbals. At only 3:22, I wish the track was longer!

I really like the way Reza has chosen tracks with very minimal melodies. To me, it preserves a certain continuity throughout the set that just makes sense! This could mean that you may have to listen to the set a few times and let it grow on you if you're used to full-on trance melodies and the like. That's not to say that vocals aren't present. There's a very good balance with lyrics on nearly every track and that's what keeps things interesting. 'Freakbox', for example, has low-slung, almost whispering vocals that contrast sharply with the electro-madness of 'Paris Hilton.'

So far, I haven't spent any time talking about skegways from track to track, and unjustifiably so! Mixing COULD NOT be tighter!!! On a set with so much minimal funkiness, trainwrecks or even the slightest beat mismatch would normally be easy to spot, but nevertheless, they are non-existent here! The mix that stood out the most to me was the long transition from 'Freakbox' into 'Work It, Move It, Do It.' Reza just let the 'Freakbox' vocal parade low over a bubbly squelch and cut it just before the "Work it, move it, do it" voice comes in.

Steve Bug checks in next with 'Houze' and the relentlessly juicyminimaltechiness is propelled right along! This has got to be the darkest track on the set. It's the kind of monster for a 5 am dancefloor with all the lights off!!! The only track I didn't really enjoy so much (personal taste) was Envoy's 'Move On.' I can't really explain why. It's not that it sticks out like a sore thumb or doesn't make sense. It's perfectly at home in this mix but I think I just don't understand it. But it's followed up smoothly by Dan Berkson's 'Easy' which is an upbeat, light-hearted little number. Very dancefloor friendly, with a solid metallic flange over echoing vocals. This is the second track I really enjoyed! finger_001.gif

Ben Mono’s ‘Post Protection’ is another loaded plate of electro-tinged sleaziness that works well to bring things back to sub-surface after ‘Easy.’ Continuing with the flawless mixing, another outlandish melody, almost alien, announces the arrival of ‘Bodydub.’ I think it’s all the effects in this track that remind me of psychedelic (Goa) trance but, fear not! This is NOT trance! Six minutes of ghostly echoes, submarine bleeps, and what sounds like the noise from “the machine that goes ping†(Monty Pythons’ Meaning of Life) could be enough to drive you mad but here, it works! party34.gif

Peak of the set would have to be ‘P.D.D.’ It’s got a techno feel to it and it sounds like it was played to the very end and then the crossfader was cut over to Frank Martiniq’s ‘Sideblow’ without missing a beat. The element I like about this track is that xylophonic effect. I don’t think I’ve heard that before! Matthias Tanzmann’s ‘Anyway’ slows things back down to bring the set full circle. About halfway in, it’s stripped nearly bare of vocals and faded out. That’s the other very minor flaw that could have been different. Sometimes it’s nice to hear a set that doesn’t end with a fade.

Overall, I found this mix to be very refreshing amidst a crowded sea of progressive fodder. The first time I listened to it, I was skeptical. It’s definitely a work that has to be listened to with an open mind and definitely not discarded after the first pass. The mixing is top notch throughout, sound quality is great and it is clear that lots of thought and creativity went into this project! Great job Reza! finger_024.gif

I am really glad you got into his (azerr/Reza) set... I wish I could expose

a little more because everyone that hears it LOVES it! Really a different sound than I am used to.... Be on the lookout though, because I am sure he will be around ready to tear it up at WMC!!! :bounce::bounce: