Clubplanet Nightlife Community

A,C,E Trains ????

From NY1:

Angry Straphangers Face Years of Disruptions On A, C Lines

JANUARY 25TH, 2005

Commuters who use the A and C subway lines are confused and angry, facing years of disruptions after a crippling fire on Sunday.

The C train has been suspended indefinitely, and the A line is only running at 30-40 percent of normal capacity, meaning wait times can be much longer than usual. The disruptions, which affect nearly half a million riders, are also causing overcrowding on other lines.

“I think it's disastrous,” said a straphanger at the Ocean Avenue station in Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn. “There are many of us who have to go to work at a set time, and this way it's inconveniencing us. They don't even understand the situation. I think it needs to be solved as soon as possible.”

Investigators believe the fire, at the Chambers Street station in Manhattan, was started by a homeless man trying to keep warm during the blizzard. The Metropolitan Transportation Authority says the blaze spread to a small room housing the intricate system of electric signal controls for the A and C lines.

“The signals are basically knocked out really at the station and just south of the station,” said New York City Transit President Lawrence Reuter. “But you know, just like when you crimp your garden hose, once you've crimped the garden hose in any one spot, only so much water can go through it. It's the same thing with the trains."

The damage to the custom equipment, which is necessary to safely space out trains along the tracks, could take three to five years and millions of dollars to repair, the MTA said.

“It really is unacceptable,” a rider said. “They really need to do something better about it. It needs to be done immediately, as far as I’m concerned.”

In the meantime, the C train effectively does not existed, replaced by the V train in Brooklyn but with no substitution in Manhattan. To avoid delays, A train riders in Manhattan are encouraged to take the No. 1 or 9 or the B or D. The MTA is advising Brooklyn commuters to stay on the No. 2 and 3, the No. 4, the J/Z or the L instead of the A.

In addition, through Wednesday, A trains will run on the F line between Jay Street in Brooklyn and West 4th Street in Manhattan in both directions between 10 p.m. and 5 a.m.

“It’s crazy, said another straphanger. “It's ludicrous. I mean people pay all this money for the subway and basically this is what we have to go through. It’s crazy.”

good thing i dont use those lines

but seriously, now is not the time for a fare hike especially with these uber delays. I know they got serious loot, all I heard was that the signaling was fucked up...I dont think it takes YEARS to fix wiring, hardware and software. MTA is full of shit, fucking nazis.