Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Resume Question???

eh just stay home and watch the apprentice and sell stuff on ebay.

my stepbrother is selling shit on ebay and he's making a shitload of money.... he put up some bobblehead doll thinking he would get a few bucks for it and it sold for like 85 bucks in under 20 minutes.... apparently it was some rare bobblehead doll and some collector was browsing when he put it up... funny shit...

Am an HR professional for 10+ years and regardless of position for all organizations I have worked for we did complete background reviews including degrees. Even had an applicant try to scheme a Phd and can't begin to tell you the "shock" when the truth was discovered--needlesstosay he was not hired. :doh:

For the most part companies require BA/BS to keep young ones out of the workplace/positions of authority until they "grow up" a bit (regardless of what you might think)....not to mention the fact that because most kids can't read or write well out of HS so they anticipate the extra years of school will help improve that. While I am not downplaying the importance of a degree in this world--"experience" carries more weight for me.

BTW, Brandy, did you mention to your current employer that you are going back for BA/BS?

Excellent advices christyne13

Guest onisakura

On the topic of jobs and resumes, i was considering a move to NYC and was browsing a few job listings on craiglist. I have over 8 years of experience in my field (real estate/contract/transactional law) but never bothered to get any kind of degree. Here in Florida experience has more weight than just having a degree. I am wondering if i will have a hard time applying for jobs in NYC....will the lack of traditional schooling be a huge detriment? I'm only 25 and hold a postition right now that demands a lot of expertise and knowledge.

Also, i know that NY has state taxes that we dont have in FL. How does that compute with regards to % of salary? I see jobs offering $75K for an entry level position which is more than I make here, but that might equate to a lot less based on the taxes and cost of living......

On the topic of jobs and resumes, i was considering a move to NYC and was browsing a few job listings on craiglist. I have over 8 years of experience in my field (real estate/contract/transactional law) but never bothered to get any kind of degree. Here in Florida experience has more weight than just having a degree. I am wondering if i will have a hard time applying for jobs in NYC....will the lack of traditional schooling be a huge detriment? I'm only 25 and hold a postition right now that demands a lot of expertise and knowledge.

Also, i know that NY has state taxes that we dont have in FL. How does that compute with regards to % of salary? I see jobs offering $75K for an entry level position which is more than I make here, but that might equate to a lot less based on the taxes and cost of living......

most ppl that work in nyc live in north jersey....so that could eliminate the costs of living in nyc...and it will only take you about maybe a half hour to get u to work from jersey. I've witnessed ppl getting fired with a degree over ppl without. all companies want now are ppl who can perform

i think 75k will put you in the 60/40 range... meaning you will get raped on taxes but it will work out come tax return time...

as far as real estate goes, i dont think you need a bachelor's degree to get a job.. i think you just need to have a realitor's license... which you get after a 6 week course... i looked into it bc i plan on doing that for a little bit when i move out to cali... goodluck!!