Clubplanet Nightlife Community

IBM or Macintosh

bigeasy17

:type: I was debating on what type of computer i want to buy. IBM or Mac. now i know IBM are vastly compatible with anything and Macs' are not. however IBMs are easily infected with viruses where as Macs only have 4 known viruses that affect it and can be easily prevented. Macs are about twice the cost as an IBM and has a limited amount of programs that will work on it. So could someone help me out on deciding on what type of computer i should get based on facts and stats? Thanks. :)

mac's are excellent, I use them at work and at home. but, they are expensive. If you are worried about virus and spyware problems on a pc, just use an operating system other than windows (linux) or dual boot between windows and linux, just using linux while online.

another good way to ward against hacking is to never connect your computer directly to the internet. Use a router, firewall, and good virus software. You can also use programs that will alert you to who was trying to access your computer outside of the home network or which programs "phone home".

back to your question, have you seen this, http://www.apple.com/macmini/ its very affordable for a mac and is super quiet and quite fast. :)

Hey, yeah i was just reading about that new minimac a few days ago, yeah it doesn't sound that bad. only 500$ also. but it not as fast or a good as a traditional full sized desktop computer. Macs are better for like graphic design though arn't they ?. and they have few programs, mind you they do have Windows to Mac OS translating programs but i think they are a lot of money, i'd have to look further into that. do you know? Now aside from IBM MAC, a custom build i think that would probably be the best way to go. i have a list of stuff to do that but what do you think would be the best to go with then overall? :confused:

I actually don't do any graphic design or multimedia work at all, so I can't answer that for you. I don't know what programs you would use on a regular basis, but there isn't quite the dearth of available mac programs like most think. Whatever you need to do there should be a comparable or compatible mac program.

The best to go with is probably a pc, they're cheap and usually come with great deals like monitor and printer included. Try to get a Pentium 4, XP pro, a good graphics card, and at least 512 ram (1gb even better). IBM is kind of expensive,you could just go with dell, compaq/hp, or have one bto (built to order).