Clubplanet Nightlife Community

'support our troops' bracelets

Depends...if the proceeds are going to a good cause like the LAF....then I'd get one for sure.

Agreed, but I saw them on sale at 7-Eleven and I have a tough time believing that those proceeds are headed in the right direction.. It seems to me they are trying to capitalize...

If I'm wrong, let me know. I'm all for supporting those brave souls in our armed forces...

I bought one a few months ago.. when I took it home and opened it, I was a little disappointed that they are made in China.. so I wrote the USO to see why.. here is my response:

Hello Jennifer,

First I wanted to thank you for contacting the USO with your concerns. For the past few years, merchants have been selling “I Support the Troops†yard signs, bumper stickers, car magnets, etc. To the best of our knowledge, the only people profiting from this have been the people manufacturing and selling the material. No organization has received donations as a result, as far as we know.

When the 7-Eleven, Inc. came to us with an idea to help the USO, we looked at the potential for help, and it was too generous an offer to turn down.

7-Eleven took the entire risk in this venture. They paid for the manufacturing, packaging and marketing of the wristbands. They could have done this without benefiting any charity, as others have done, but they wanted to do something to help us, and since the USO IS the way Americans can support the troops, we are proud to be partners with them.

When a company comes to us with an idea such as this, that company is under no obligation to lose money in the process. The USO has no way to pay for, sell or distribute these kinds of items, and we’re grateful for 7-Eleven and a few other companies for including the USO as their charity of choice.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and concerns, thanks again.

Katie Whitlow