Clubplanet Nightlife Community

POLICE LOSE RIGHT TO SEARCH!!!

A VICTORY for privacy rights in a Supreme Court decision yesterday!!! The police may not set up roadblocks and stop cars randomly in a search for drugs. The police must have reasonable suspicion. It was a 6-3 decision with the usual ultra conservative Justices dissenting (Rehnquist, Clarence Thomas and Scalia). It's scary to think that if Bush gets elected and appoints 3 Justices this goes the other way and then the police would be able to set up roadblocks for any "law enforcement" purpose they saw fit.

So despite the tediousness of these recounts and court proceedings, I hope everyone can see yet another reason why we need Gore in office!!!

<<<PEACE>>>

------------------

"Everything is sweetened by Risk."

snoopy.gif

Originally posted by divalicious:

The issue of appointing Supreme Court Judges was a big one for me. Not only because of the abortion issue, but for other issues as well, such as this one.

Div-

That was definitely one of my biggest issues, too, with this election (the appointment of possibly THREE new justices from one President). I tried to bring up that fact with everyone who talked to me about voting, and I was very surprised to find how few people actually realized the seriousness of this issue. So I'm sure you can surmise how ill I feel about his whole Bush win in FL. I REALLY hope that Gore sees this battle through as far as he legally can, because I'm really frightened about having to live the next 30 years under an extremely conservative Supreme Court.

I don't know what possessed me to ramble on about this...sorry. You must have hit a nerve with your post.

Ciao,

-S-

Originally posted by g-money:

A VICTORY for privacy rights in a Supreme Court decision yesterday!!! The police may not set up roadblocks and stop cars randomly in a search for drugs. The police must have reasonable suspicion. It was a 6-3 decision with the usual ultra conservative Justices dissenting (Rehnquist, Clarence Thomas and Scalia). It's scary to think that if Bush gets elected and appoints 3 Justices this goes the other way and then the police would be able to set up roadblocks for any "law enforcement" purpose they saw fit.

So despite the tediousness of these recounts and court proceedings, I hope everyone can see yet another reason why we need Gore in office!!!

<<<PEACE>>>

refer to post titled "We are Fucked!!!"

Originally posted by g-money:

<<<PEACE>>>

refer to post titled "We are Fucked!!!"

Originally posted by ShaneNYC:

Div-

That was definitely one of my biggest issues, too, with this election (the appointment of possibly THREE new justices from one President). I tried to bring up that fact with everyone who talked to me about voting, and I was very surprised to find how few people actually realized the seriousness of this issue. So I'm sure you can surmise how ill I feel about his whole Bush win in FL. I REALLY hope that Gore sees this battle through as far as he legally can, because I'm really frightened about having to live the next 30 years under an extremely conservative Supreme Court.

I don't know what possessed me to ramble on about this...sorry. You must have hit a nerve with your post.

Ciao,

-S-

Hey man, you weren't rambling...

I too was suprised by how nonchalant people were about the appointment of justices. It just didn't seem to be a big deal to them. But this is the one thing that the new president will do, that will have a (possibly) big affect on this country for years to come. I think it's a pretty scary thought to have a conservative supreme court.

------------------

icon9.giflove.gifbiggrin.gif

Peace Love Happiness y'all

DivaliciousNYC@aol.com