Clubplanet Nightlife Community

Any IT people or tech wizzes...

Actaully, my company watches a lot of what we do. We have a special department for this.

When they are watching my computer, a little face pops up in my task bar..its kind of funny looking. They can even start typing for me if they wanted and move my mouse...yada yada yada.

But they do a lot of tracing of what we happen to do during the day and give in reports. They really dotn care but they do it just to keep a tab on everything.

When you're dealing with computers, remember, anything is possible!

------------------

tigger.gif

"Love is friendship set to music."

...E. Joseph Crossmann

AOL = MadamKittE

Originally posted by misskittie:

Actaully, my company watches a lot of what we do. We have a special department for this.

When they are watching my computer, a little face pops up in my task bar..its kind of funny looking. They can even start typing for me if they wanted and move my mouse...yada yada yada.

But they do a lot of tracing of what we happen to do during the day and give in reports. They really dotn care but they do it just to keep a tab on everything.

When you're dealing with computers, remember, anything is possible!

i wouldnt' say anything...

------------------

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use" -Soren Kierkegaard

"People who know little are usually great talkers, while men who know much say little." -Rousseau

"One must learn to be a sponge if one wants to be loved by hearts that overflow." -Frederich Neitzsche 2-Brandie&Rob-11

hmr3.gif

All that's needed to check ANY of your computer usage is your IP address (your location on the network.)

Most companies won't do anything, however, until/unless they suspect that you are spending too much time on the net and not enough on work. They can usually tell by lack of work performance or co-workers complaining.

All you need is a simple sniffer and you can pull out anything thats not authenticated or encrypted. AIM is insecure. Don't expect any privacy until you are using 128 bit encrypted messengers.

------------------

Condense thought into a vapor of nuance.

i know the company can check your web usage, but is it possible for them to monitor convo's on instant messenger?

-Rob

------------------

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they never use" -Soren Kierkegaard

"People who know little are usually great talkers, while men who know much say little." -Rousseau

"One must learn to be a sponge if one wants to be loved by hearts that overflow." -Frederich Neitzsche 2-Brandie&Rob-11

hmr3.gif

Its possible but most companys dont go to the trouble. If you look up instant messenger on new.yahoo.com youll see the flaw in AOl instant messenger up to 4.3 that is allowing people to hack thru and see your web usage and steal credit card numbers. AOL still hasnt fixed this. Be careful.

------------------

AIM:Turbo SC300

------

-Bom.

The only way that I know that it is possible to monitor convo's or IM's is if they are accually mirroring your computer when you are doing it. What they can do if they choose to, is make their computer in the IT department kinda like another one of yours, doing exactly what your doing at the time. So if they mirror your computer while you are IM'ing someone, they'll see exactly what is on your screen... as you type, send, and get responses. Understand what I mean? What are the chances of them doing this??? Depends on what sites your hitting, and if they are concerned.

------------------

You know everything will flow...

Originally posted by xxxxdrewxxxx:

The only way that I know that it is possible to monitor convo's or IM's is if they are accually mirroring your computer when you are doing it. What they can do if they choose to, is make their computer in the IT department kinda like another one of yours, doing exactly what your doing at the time. So if they mirror your computer while you are IM'ing someone, they'll see exactly what is on your screen... as you type, send, and get responses. Understand what I mean? What are the chances of them doing this??? Depends on what sites your hitting, and if they are concerned.

Nah, it's much, much simpler than that. All they gotta do is listen to the port through which AIM is sending the data. Everything goes through their servers anyways. There are even a bunch of "snoop" programs on the net that can do exactly that. I doubt most companies go that far though, they would be spending way too much time monitoring tons of junk. But they definitely could if they wanted to.

------------------

Don't forget to fly...

Originally posted by dzadza:

Pretty much any internet activity, unless it's encrypted, is wide open. So if your company wanted to, they could definitely see everything you're doing on the net.

Yeh that's exactly it instant messenger wont encrypt the text. All they have to do is write a simple peice of software that will search for certain words and dump the http stream to a file so they can check it later.

Ok big brother wannabees.

First of all, to MIRROR your screen, it doesnt happen. To actually see what is on another pcs screen (Not counting terminal server for server administration) would be highly difficult and very expensive.

Companies can monitor what websites get hit, and who hits them if they wish but they would have to have good reason.

I can prolly find out all the software on this I want (I am a technical web administrator) but basically, I doubt anyone is going through the trouble to monitor you unless its a known persistent problem (IE, we booted someone from work who kept large amounts of dirty email)

Sure, there are ways to do it but cost, and efficiiency usually will stop people from watching you, the every day worker. Hell a button sized camera behind yur chair would be easier... wink.gif

Just dont make enemies with yur IT guy wink.gif

------------------

Myrlin

druid3.gifwizard.gif

FYI, I think Yahoo's researching or maybe even close to releasing a Corporate-grade version of its IM client. Unless I'm totally misinformed, the main difference is that it's designed with security in mind -- it encrypts all messages sent.

Of course, I can hardly believe that Yahoo will foil the attempts of the more intelligent crackers and snoops out there, but still, it would be nice to have that added layer of security.......

------------------

-=Vejita=-

"Live through the week. Live for the weekend."

Originally posted by myrlin:

First of all, to MIRROR your screen, it doesnt happen. To actually see what is on another pcs screen (Not counting terminal server for server administration) would be highly difficult and very expensive.

No you can use these hacking tools to view what somebody is doing, even record key strokes, delete file, take control of the mouse etc. The thing is it opens up you network to attack... but it is possible and easy to do. Thats why you need to be carefull when installing these games people send in the email. The hacking software is sometime built in, then they just need your IP to mess up your network... this is how Microsoft we had recently.

Originally posted by back2basics:

No you can use these hacking tools to view what somebody is doing, even record key strokes, delete file, take control of the mouse etc. The thing is it opens up you network to attack... but it is possible and easy to do. Thats why you need to be carefull when installing these games people send in the email. The hacking software is sometime built in, then they just need your IP to mess up your network... this is how Microsoft we had recently.

Thank you... Took the words right out of my mouth. I'm in the IT department of my company, but on the hardware end, and if my department does decide to see whats going on with internet traffic on a certain person, that is one of the methods they use if they suspect you are doing something wrong, IE: sex websites, etc. I know there are other methods to track and snoop, but this is the method chosen by my IT department to have the hard "written" proof of what you were doing.

------------------

Originally posted by back2basics:

You mistake my intent. Sure, there are ways to hack, and there are programs which make a copy of your keystrokes, BUT, the original question was aimed at if companies do this to regular employees. To that I say no. Sure, a tech can hack your pc to monitor you but the only way to "watch" someone in a corporate environment costs more money.. wink.gif

------------------

Myrlin

druid3.gifwizard.gif

Originally posted by myrlin:

You mistake my intent. Sure, there are ways to hack, and there are programs which make a copy of your keystrokes, BUT, the original question was aimed at if companies do this to regular employees. To that I say no. Sure, a tech can hack your pc to monitor you but the only way to "watch" someone in a corporate environment costs more money.. wink.gif

you're right. 99% of the time they won't do it, but it is a possibilty. It all depends on what the person is doing that would concern them with being monitored. Like trying to convince an underage male/female to meet with you for instance.

------------------