Clubplanet Nightlife Community

"Dune" miniseries on Sci-Fi = AWESOME

Having never read the book, but only having experienced "Dune" through the first movie and a video game by the same name (circa 1988), I must saw that this movie is every bit as captivating as the first, and then some. Really good acting, great integration of original cinematography and scenery, and a really, REALLY good script make this every bit as good as a feature-length film. And the best part is, I don't even have to wait long for the next part -- it's on tomorrow night!

Did anyone else watch this, or was I the only one geeking out to cable this evening? smile.gif

------------------

-=Vejita=-

"Live through the week. Live for the weekend."

Oh I was geeking out right there with ya cwm30.gif

Only dissapointment I had was that it didn't go nearly as far into the story as the first film did...but damn it was good! Can't wait for tomorrow!

Yep, more geekdom in front of the TV with the cat and munchies!

If you like the Dune series, check out the books by Dan Simmons called "Hyperion." 4 books to the series and they are incredible.

Originally posted by Unbound:

This Sci-Fi show made me wanna play my original Dune game.......but cant find it anywhere.......can anybody help out?.......should i try some IRC game channel?......... confused.gif

Remember the publisher? If so, I can do some looking.

------------------

"When the soul wishes to experience something, she throws an image of the experience out before her, and enters into her own image."

Guest crystalmethodny

I liked the 1st episode too...

However I still feel its a little laxing in a few area's. Some of the acting I felt wasn't nearly as good as the old schoolers. I totally miss Patrick Stewart in that movie, even Sting with his pompous ass attitude as the nephew Harkonin.

Also, I thought the graphic effects were a little TOO much. That one scene where Paul and his mother woke up in the desert near the end, where Duncan came to save them, looked gross.

Of course, thats all the negatives, which isn't that bad. I thought it was definitely worth the watch, and can't wait to see the continuation tonight. =)

The interaction with the Emperor's daughter was awesome, that was a great scene... and the sarcasm was definitely humorous.

------------------

"We're going to build things up slowly... are you with me? Here we go."

"I think of you, how I used to do on Sunday Afternoons."

www.extremegroove.com

I didn't know that there was a mini series on TV (maybe because I don't have a tv. But, it's coincidental that you posted that one, Vejita.

I watched Dune this weekend, for the first time since it came out. I'm not much into sci-fi, but my friend recommended it. We roasted a nice phatty, got _way too high_, and both passed out before it was over. But, from what I remember of it - that shit was way ahead of it's time and not at all cheezy (a la Flash Gordon). Great effects.

Wonder if there will be a sequel to the movie?

DM

The original "Dune 2000" game was published by Westwood Studios, which I'm pretty sure became or directly led to the formation of Blizzard (best known for Diablo, Warcraft, etc). Oh, and a new incarnation of "Dune" is coming out, called Emperor -- check it at http://westwood.ea.com/games/emperor/

Yep, I'm playing the part of the recluse tonight (and tomorrow) and staying home for part 2 / 3...... I love the eyes of the Fremen. They were cool even in the original, but they're very striking as well in this movie, too........

------------------

-=Vejita=-

"Live through the week. Live for the weekend."

Hey there all,

I think the game he was talking about however was the one created by Virgin a few years back, pre Dune 2000. It's tough to find but I'm in the process of looking.

I remember there was a site that listed and provided links to DL many old DOS and windows games but I can't for the life of me remember it or find it...even on google.

Being a good recluse tonight myself. Dune, some hot coco and a blanket sound like a perfect way to recoup from the start of another work week.

Look forward to hearing what you all think of part two!

------------------

"When the soul wishes to experience something, she throws an image of the experience out before her, and enters into her own image."

Tom,

I disagree with you. Though I think the show was good, I don't believe they are being true to subtext of the book. They've missed on so many important fronts. Water importance is made to look for like a money issue rather than a way of life (like leaving out the water debt of the Shadout Mapes being payed off by telling Jessica about Yueh). The politics are all screwed up as well, especially the relationship that they are protraying between Paul and Irulan that never existed in the novel. Paul is also being played out like some gen-X slacker where in the novel he was more your Star Trek Wesley Crusher type.

Also of significance that no reference was made was Duncan's relationship with Jessica, and the fact that he suspected her of being a traitor and Jessica believing her husband died thinking she was the traitor. Gurney is being made to look like a fool.

Add the valorous nature of Leto that is played again and again in the book and first movie that is completely left out. That is the only reason Paul and Jessica survived, because Leto had already earned the respect of the Fremen through Liet Kynes.

also, weren't Rabban and Feyd cousins, not brothers?

So far it's pretty watered down if you ask me, but I'm a bit of a Dune purist. Hehe, I've read the series start to finish 3 times and the first book at least 5 or more. I own the original theatre release as well as the uncut two-part japanese television release of the first movie. I also have the board game, and a copy of the highly coveted Dune Encyclopedia (which goes for like $100+ on e-bay).

what can I say, I'm a bit of a freek.

- oh, I also own a copy of Eon - Void Dweller which has the song "The Spice Must Flow" -

freak for sure.

anyone want to talk dune?

Originally posted by spoonyd:

Tom,

I disagree with you. Though I think the show was good, I don't believe they are being true to subtext of the book. They've missed on so many important fronts. Water importance is made to look for like a money issue rather than a way of life (like leaving out the water debt of the Shadout Mapes being payed off by telling Jessica about Yueh). The politics are all screwed up as well, especially the relationship that they are protraying between Paul and Irulan that never existed in the novel. Paul is also being played out like some gen-X slacker where in the novel he was more your Star Trek Wesley Crusher type.

Also of significance that no reference was made was Duncan's relationship with Jessica, and the fact that he suspected her of being a traitor and Jessica believing her husband died thinking she was the traitor. Gurney is being made to look like a fool.

Add the valorous nature of Leto that is played again and again in the book and first movie that is completely left out. That is the only reason Paul and Jessica survived, because Leto had already earned the respect of the Fremen through Liet Kynes.

also, weren't Rabban and Feyd cousins, not brothers?

So far it's pretty watered down if you ask me, but I'm a bit of a Dune purist. Hehe, I've read the series start to finish 3 times and the first book at least 5 or more. I own the original theatre release as well as the uncut two-part japanese television release of the first movie. I also have the board game, and a copy of the highly coveted Dune Encyclopedia (which goes for like $100+ on e-bay).

what can I say, I'm a bit of a freek.

- oh, I also own a copy of Eon - Void Dweller which has the song "The Spice Must Flow" -

freak for sure.

anyone want to talk dune?

I would but you'd run circles around me!!! Damn, boy!

------------------